WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

[Mod Idea 2015]-[SEIKO]- Who dares to take such challenge?

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Everdying 
#1 ·
The recent release of the shrouded divers had certainly caught a large numbers of attentions...
Of the 3 models released, SRP639 and SRP641 gets alot of supportive acquisition, while SRP637 with "traditional" black dial, SS casing and SS bracelet combo... seems to be selling slow...

I wonder what's affecting it's appeal to shroud diving watch lovers out there?

Anyway... in some place, these recent models are called as "Monster Sardine", while some here regard as "Monster Gen3"... No matter what it's called as... maybe we can give the lesser loved one a boost in appeal?

My idea... inspired by the blue back sardine.

And this Sardine can be costly to some... which requires 3 watches in a shot...
The main cast- SRP637

The supporting cast- SRP581 and SRP605

1... the dial and hands and bluish bezel of 605 to be removed off.
2... the dial and hands and SS bezel of the 637 removed as well.
3... remove only the blue bezel of 581, use it to 637 case. The blue bezel from 605 transfers to 581. Once done, the mod on 581 completes.
4... the removed dial, hands, as well as the SS bezel will be transferred to the 605 case. Result will be an odd case to some or perhaps all... 200m WR printed on dial, as well as the Prospex logo when the 605 case do not have screw down crown and Sapphire crystal.
5... the balance parts from 605 transferred to the 637 body, where it ends up as a 637 body with bluish dial, dots and bars indices, gold framed hands with bluish Monster bezel. The odd part? Prospex logo lost, replaced by the Golden 5 emblem, so as the odd 100m WR print on the dial that could bother some...

Is this idea workable?

See less See more
Reactions: res708 and bonatno
#5 ·
I think this is the reason, plain and simple.

$300 is a bit of a step up from the other Monster models. Whereas >$400 puts it in stiff competition with other highly regarded models such as Sumo, etc.

#3 ·
Same here same here... srp641 as well...

#4 ·
It's highly unlikely the bezels from all 3 will be interchangeable. If the 605 is the same as the Mini-Monster - which by the case design, it looks like it is - the bezel is much larger than a standard Monster bezel (581) or the newer shrouded Monster. As well, the shrouded Monster looks like it would only be swappable with another similar shrouded Seiko (Frankenmonster looks close). Due to the metal shroud, and the edge being difference on the shrouded Monster, that swap may not even be possible. Check out the "lip" area of the shroud. You'd likely have to file down a Franken bezel to get it to fit under that gap.

You will also have to consider if chapter rings are fixed to the dials, or if they're a separate entity within the case. Separate would be better. THe 581, if I had to guess, would not be separate. I would assume Seiko manufactures this dial the same as the old Monster dials. The 605 is probably separate based on the fact the Mini-monster is separate. I have no idea about the 637. I would guess it's separate.

Going by these guesses #3 would not work as this is just a bezel swap.

#4 would work physically. keep in mind the 605's chapter ring is blue. Your dial and chapter ring would not match.

#5 the 605 parts will work in 637 case. However, if the chapter ring is separate in the 637 case, you run the risk of having the chapter ring obscuring some of the indices. To my eyes, the 637 indices are smaller than the 605s. You will also have mismatching colours with the blue dial and the black chapter ring of the 637.

A lot of "ifs" and unknown factors with your project....

#7 ·
Starting to see some price movement on these. There are now a few Amazon and eBay sellers with them for around $300. So I had to snag one :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.