WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

***Official SARB017 Seiko Alpinist thread***

2M views 5K replies 1K participants last post by  StephenR 
#1 ·
I thought we've got one for the Sumo and Tuna and MM300 so why not another?

I picked mine up around the beginning of December and I love it. I haven't checked closely but it seems to run fast, perhaps 10 seconds per day. I think the fact that it runs fast (rather than slow) is why I haven't been to concerned about it. I've also got a Sumo and a Tuna that I just bought in August and I don't think I've even worn them since I got the Alpinist. I picked up a leather strap from Crown and Buckle (because yes, the Seiko strap is terrible) and I just love the way it feels on my wrist, especially in the winter when it feels so cold putting on my bracelet watches. The dial is hard to keep your eyes off of in the sunlight. A big thumbs up for this baby.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Analog watch Watch Wrist Watch accessory Fashion accessory

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Analog watch Watch accessory Watch Tan Strap

Sorry for the poor lume shot. My (terrible) Galaxy Note camera. It looks much better in real life.

See less See more
#32 ·
*DROOL* I LOVE THIS WATCH!!

#33 ·
Well my one week experiment is over. After one week the watch is a mere +2 seconds fast. Basically I've been wearing it 24 hours a day (not in the shower of course!) and I've been giving it a few winds before going to bed. I found that the one night that I forgot to put it back on my wrist after my shower it gained a few seconds and last night I forgot to wind it before bed and it lost a few seconds. But when the watch is wound and worn 24/7 my experience is that the accuracy is +/- 0 seconds per day which is just ridiculous! I fully expect that once the hot Tokyo summer comes then it will lose this accuracy but right now I'm totally pleased that my little Seiko auto is more accurate than a Rolex!

#47 ·
I have too many watches, but there are really only a few that I want to keep, and the Alpinist is definitely one of them. Aside from the overall quality of watch and bracelet, excellent size, accuracy and unique (and attractive) look, I have to point out two little non-essential details I just can't help but love on this watch: the shape of the lume patch at the end of the second hand, and the black background on the date wheel. While not a big deal, I can't help but notice these two items all the time, and love them!

Attachments

#49 ·
I love this watch except for the numbered hour markers. I just can not stand that. At most I can handle it at 12. But that is even pushing it. Too bad because I would love to have one. I guess I will just have to make do with my sarb059 Alpinist. :)

Sent from Commodore VIC-20

#50 · (Edited)
My take is just the opposite. I looked at the 059 but was turned off by the lack of sapphire and that it looked too much like a modded SKX007. Don't get me wrong I love my SKX's and have several. I opted for the 017 because it has a unique, "one of" case design. I'm not real big on numerals on watches either, but understand that numbers are de riguer for Explorer style watches.

#52 ·
I love everything about this watch. I wasn't sure about it until I saw it in person, and I must say that regardless of how beautiful it might look in some pictures, the best picture of this watch does not make it the least justice. It is definitely so much more (and then some), when you see it in person! I do have a silly question for those of you who have lived with, or who actually know more about this watch. How do you place this watch when actually comparing it to the Rolex explorer in terms of durability? I mean, the Explorer (and Rolex watches in general) is famous (justifiably or unjustifiably so) for being a tough and very durable watch; one that "will continue to run no matter what the wearer throws at it..." Is the Alpinist Sarb017 every bit as tough, durable, and trustworthy or is it ludicrous to even mention the two of them in the same sentence (as my co worker recently told me about Seiko and Rolex) Can the Alpinist withstand the rough "life" that an Explorer is purported to endure and come shining through? I really hope so, for mine will be my only watch and I shall live with it on my wrist, and live with it i shall!! What do you guys think?

#53 ·
I doubt there's much difference in toughness; both way tougher than the wrist you'll be wearing it on ;-) However, the Rolex user a tougher steel and won't scratch or ding as easily as most other watches. I used to think this was just hype, but I have a Rolex that I wore for five years straight, and then here and there for another 13 years, and it looks virtually new. Can't say that about ANY other watches I've had.

Not that I think this is so important; I wear my Alpinist way more than the Rolex!

#58 ·
i put mine back on bracelet after a year on leather wtih a deployant, and, of all my watches, this one becomes completely different on a bracelet. its like a new watch and has gotten over a week of solid wrist time! The other watches will soon be getting jealous so gave my classic monster a go today!