WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

7548 variations

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Trog7074 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, so bear with me here (long post). I'm just trying to figure out what some of the 7548 variations are exactly. I have a couple that I've purchased recently that seem slightly different - but maybe that's expected? I have a 7548-7000 with the SQ dial (and serial starting 36). I also have a 7548-7010 (which the PO assumed was a regular -700x with the wrong caseback) and serial starting 48. Obviously, many people (most? all?) know that the -7010 has a 200m rating from Seiko and has a screw-down crystal ring. That can easily be seen by a quick Google search.

From the top view, they appear nearly the same if not exactly (dial and hands aside).

Here you can start to see some difference in the shape/dimension of the lugs themselves. Notice the -7010 variant seems to have a little more material as well as a sharper point than the -700x variant. Is this always the case or has the -700x just lived a harder life (and/or perhaps had material removed during ownership)?

Moving on to the back side of the case, more differences appear. The lugs of the -700x come to a near point at the end. The lugs of the -7010 have an extra angled section as well. Is there a purpose (such as extra strength if the material is actually thicker here)? Also, the casework around the crown is slightly different. The rear cutout is shaped slightly differently and is definitely less pronounced on the -7010. I would assume this provides some type of better protection for the crown as well. What can't be seen here is the difference in the caseback. The -7010 caseback is slightly, but noticeably thicker, especially around the flange surface against the caseback. I've read that there is some extra anti-magnetism protection as well, but I'm not sure exactly. I assume the extra thickness helps, but I know other watches usually employ an iron core for this purpose.

Then we have the dial/hands of the -700x. I can't tell if the hands are original or not. The lume on the hands all seem to match each other and then be just slightly off, collectively, from the dial. That could be a function of the application methods OR perhaps an indication that they just aren't original (the hands have stronger lume by just a little). The hands are completely flat on top and have a nice perpendicular cut edge to them. The hour hand looks like it may have scratches or perhaps might have been bent during some internal work - I'm not sure to be honest and the pictures don't do it justice. The seconds hand is a reverse lollipop with white tip and black paint on the back end. The dial (-700L T)is the SQ version and looks good with the lume plots showing some patina and a slight browning of the edges of the lume itself. I would guess it looks original to me.

Then we have the dial/hands of the -7010. The dial (-701L T) was obviously changed at some point since it isn't the 200m Professional one. It looks to be genuine, but again this is just to my untrained eyes. It's in great condition as well, nearly perfect from what I can see through the crystal - no patina from what I can see. The hands are likely also replacements from what I can tell. They have a very polished look as well as perhaps a slight curve on the edges. They catch a ton of light with the polished surfaces as you move it around. The lume is significantly stronger than the dial's lume, but not to the point of looking like new OEM lume. The seconds hand almost seems to have a brown hue of paint rather than pure black.

I'm just trying to make heads or tails out of what I have and ultimately, I'm trying to decide what to do with these. I've already decided that I want to complete my 6309 hybrid with these pieces (and then sell the rest as pieces or even complete. I'd likely do the swap along with a relume job, new gaskets, new crystal, etc. Since I plan on reluming, I'm thinking of using the newer-looking, non-patina dial. I'm debating on using the flat/angular hands OR I might even pick up new OEM hands as well, perhaps something Tuna-ish (IDK yet honestly). Then new gaskets all around as well as new flat sapphire will finish it off nicely. I'd like to also make sure I have another working fully assembled 7548 along with all of the remaining parts to help recover some funds.

Thoughts anyone?

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
I bought this watch new in 1985 for my Open Water Certification. I paid the full msrp of $285.00 for it. I have had it slightly polished and brushed, replaced the bezel insert, a new crystal and gaskets and seals a couple of years ago. We also did a 200m pressure test, it passed even with its 150m rating. It is dated January of 1985. It is my understanding that in 1986 Seiko converted over to the 7C series of quartz movements. The 7548 700L T is stamped with 7548 7009 on the case back.

#6 · (Edited)
My original untouched 700B (1980/81) bought by me new from Ratners in Aberdeen.

Recently had its first and only service by Seiko UK.

It came on rubber which eventually broke so it has the rare Z199 full length bracelet now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.