Thread: 7T62 Movement: Button A doesn't work after battery change

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy 7T62 Movement: Button A doesn't work after battery change

Took my Seiko SNA553 to a watch shop to have the battery changed. Got it back, now the chronograph is constantly running and can't be stopped.

Pulling the crown out to the second click and holding in both A & B buttons doesn't reset the watch. It appears the watch is not registering any A button operation. The B button seems to work normally.

Opened the back and can see that the A button is working a small lever when it is pressed.

Any ideas on how to stop & reset the chronograph, or to investigate the button operation further?
    Seiko SARB017 Alpinist, SNA553, SLT079, SNZG05J, SNK809, SNZH71;
    yobokies SNKH63K;
    Orient Mako CEM65001B;

Dubai, United Arab Emirates, United Arab Emirates

Re: 7T62 Movement: Button A doesn't work after battery change

I have the same issue with my 7T62 0AX0. After changing the battery the Button A does not work, the chrono is constantly on, I have to press the button 'B' 2 times to make the big chrono second hand stop. The was lost for like 3 years shortly after I had bought it, found it recently, the battery was dead, had it changed and I have the same problem as you have described above.

Did you manage to make any progress in resolving the above. I would like to investigate if there is a way to fix it myself or there is no other option but to send it to the watch dealer for repairs.

Thanks

The chronograph appears to have finally stopped after running continuously for several weeks.

Seiko's 7T62 manual says that the chronograph should have stopped after twelve hours.

My impression is that the internal CPU was not reset properly after changing the battery.

I had asked the watch shop (Bower's Watch in Atlanta, GA) about changing the battery in a Seiko perpetual calendar watch and maybe changing out some custom hands. His blank stare pretty much indicated his skills don't venture far beyond:

1) remove back

2) replace battery

3) wonder why watch acts funny

In any case I'm very happy to have one of my favorite watches at least in 95% operating condition.
    Last edited by cYoXlByOem; March 10th, 2013 at 02:14.
    Seiko SARB017 Alpinist, SNA553, SLT079, SNZG05J, SNK809, SNZH71;
    yobokies SNKH63K;
    Orient Mako CEM65001B;

I'm not personally familiar with the 7T62 movement, but it is an evolution of the 7T32, which I know fairly well.
    After replacing the battery in a 7T32 it is necessary to perform an AC reset, to restore full functionality.
    See this thread: Battery replacement tutorial for Seiko 7t32-Pulsar/Epson y182
    Might it be worth popping the battery out, replacing it and trying this on your 7T62 ?
    SEIKO 7A38 - By the numbers http://www.seiko7a38.com/apps/forums/

had similar prob, advised to send back for service may due to circuit faulty, had send it back since its quite costly to get it fix, hence may just keep it without chrono function, sad...

if there is any tips can resolve without sending back for service would be great :)

Thanks Seiko7A38, will give it a shot. Had got the battery replaced at a so called repair shop, where the guy did everything from fixing computers, to watches, since I did not have the tool to remove the screw back off the Seiko watch. Usually I replace the battery of my other watch myself which has a snap down type back.

While I was at the repair shop the worker there had used some kind of device, a black box that looked like a small transistor radio, on which he kept the watch and pressed a button on the device, which caused the hands of the watch to spin around like crazy. I guessed it was some kind of instrument to test workings of a quartz watch. Is it possible that this thing that the watch repair guy used on the watch could have caused the weird watch behavior?

Quote Originally Posted by cYoXlByOem View Post
    Took my Seiko SNA553 to a watch shop to have the battery changed. Got it back, now the chronograph is constantly running and can't be stopped.

Pulling the crown out to the second click and holding in both A & B buttons doesn't reset the watch. It appears the watch is not registering any A button operation. The B button seems to work normally.

Opened the back and can see that the A button is working a small lever when it is pressed.

Any ideas on how to stop & reset the chronograph, or to investigate the button operation further?
    My apologies for bumping an old post but has anyone come up with a solution on how to fix the "I replaced the battery, but now my A button doesn't work" issue? I just replaced the battery in my buddies SNA411 Flightmaster which has the infamous 7T62 movement and I have the same issue. Can't stop or start or reset the chrono to zero because the A button isn't working. Can pull the crown to pos 2 and the chrono starts running but can only use the lap time and the reset with the B button. I did use a 395 (SR927SW) battery instead of a 399 (SR927W) and I read somewhere about high drain and low drain but if the battery is running all the hands then I'm thinking this isn't the issue. PLEASE HELP!
    Best regards,

Dan

"I was up above it. Now I'm down in it." ...Trent Reznor

Exclamation Re: 7T62 Movement: Button A doesn't work after battery change

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko7A38 View Post
    I'm not personally familiar with the 7T62 movement, but it is an evolution of the 7T32, which I know fairly well.
    After replacing the battery in a 7T32 it is necessary to perform an AC reset, to restore full functionality.
    See this thread: Battery replacement tutorial for Seiko 7t32-Pulsar/Epson y182
    Might it be worth popping the battery out, replacing it and trying this on your 7T62 ?
    I guess I ought to correct my earlier incorrect suggestion.

At the time I wrote that, I'd not studied the 7T62 before - not so much as had the back off one.
    Needless to say, with some of the problems I'd seen other owners having, I avoided them like the plague.
    This weekend, I was asked to replace a battery in one - a 7T62-0FDO SNA559P1 belonging to a chap at work.

There is no AC reset required on a 7T62 movement.
    Yes, there is a hole in the movement backplate, in the same place, with a gold plated contact on the PCB visible through it ....
    But it is NOT marked <- AC and the label on the inside of the watch I worked on was completely blank.
    So it did not say short AC to battery positive after replacing the battery (as it does on a 7T32).
    My apologies to anyone I may have confused by my earlier incorrect assumption.

Absolutely no problems encountered whatsoever with this particular 7T62.

Topic: Changing a battery in a 7T62 - and subsequent reset problems ? None encountered ! - Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Quote Originally Posted by cYoXlByOem View Post

Yes - read the instruction manual (page 7) properly !

http://www.seikowatches.com/support/...SEIKO_7T62.pdf

Last edited by Seiko7A38; October 12th, 2013 at 18:25.

I was quite surprised to see the 7T62 movement called "infamous". I've had one for 2 years and had absolutely no issues with the watch. Just bought another one with the same movement. This is probably my favorite Seiko chronograph quartz movement in production. Unless someone knows of a jeweled movement still in production?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information