WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Anyone have any SKX magazine ads?

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Boone 
#1 ·
I'd love to see some SKX007 or 009 ads that are similar to these photos:
Watch Advertising Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory

Helmet Personal protective equipment Vehicle Advertising Headgear

I couldn't find any on Google that were from when the models originally released.

See less See more
Reactions: lulu.l
#3 ·
Thanks for the snarky response and worthless link. Please reread original post and exit thread.

#9 · (Edited)
I don't think there have been any?? and I have a couple theories as to why?

see what you think..

Unlike some swiss brands /cough Rolex..etc /cough a Seiko diver in 2017 probably cost less adjusted for inflation.. than it did in the 70s ... So Seiko isn't getting high profit margins on these watches.. they have streamlined production (robots) and mass produce them... Given the low profit margins they probably don't really have a ton of money to put towards advertising them..

Also.. I kinda feel like Seiko had to advertise in the 70s because the public had a low opinion of goods from Japan.. probably the way some view goods from another country in Asia today... They needed to try to influence people towards a willingness to at least consider Seiko over say a swiss brand... and they seem to have succeeded for the most part..

Further the world was far different back in the 70s / 80s /early ~mid 90s.... no internet, no social media ... if you wanted to get you product out there and have people aware of it.. adverts in Magazines was a very good option.. People read them a lot more..because there wasn't nearly as much else to do...

mostly I think they haven't really advertised the SKX's (much if at all) because it isn't as profitable a line as it once was

check out this ad... Seiko is looking for dealers in it... obviously they were trying to get a foothold in the US at the time..
Analog watch Watch

how about that diver for $75 however.. man I would be all over that...

edit... oh yeah..see how it was Seiko distributed by Unimetrics, INC Marine Supply Division... no Seiko USA yet..

#10 ·
Yeah by the mid 90s they probably weren't advertising in mags as much as the 70s and 80s. Too bad though. Some of those ads were cool especially the 70s hippie influenced photos.

#12 ·
Hah that's a great one.
Vintage advertisement Album cover Poster Advertising Movie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.