Thread: battery for seiko quartz watches

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

battery for seiko quartz watches

Hi,
    I'm newly registered, and need help in figuring out the battery that goes with two of my seiko quartz watches inherited from my father. If someone could help me, I would be grateful . . .

The first just says seiko quartz with 4004 beneath it. At the bottom (6 o'clock position) are in tiny print: Japan 0903 - 8089T. This watch has a convenient battery hatch on the back.

2nd watch says Seiko quartz Sports 100. Tiny print at 6 o'clock: Japan 8229 - 60ILT (the I may actually be a numeral "1").

:thanks

Re: battery for seiko quartz watches

Can you open up the watches, remove the batteries and see if there are any identifying marks on the batteries?

If it says 1.5V, I think you should be able to fit a battery of the same voltage and size. Likewise for other voltages.

open the casebacks or batter hatches. the batteries will say what they are. Just take the batter to a local store such as radioshack and have them replace them for you. If the battery doesn't say what it is, then the information should be written either on the caseback or on the actual recess where the battery contacts are.

you don't need seiko brand batteries

I own about a dozen quartz watches. Every time I have had to replace a battery, there is always a number engraved on it. I use WalMart, Target, etc for most all of them. Sometimes the replacement has a different number but the sales people always seem to have some sort of crossreference to get the proper one. If you are unable to get the caseback off, then take it to a jeweler or even a watch kiosk in some of the bigger malls. They will usually change the battery right there while you wait.

Thanks for your thought. The battery hatch is empty, and I see no marking on the hatch or in the recess that indicates the voltage. The other watch needs a special tool to open up the case, and the tool I have is, I suspect, a real cheapie, so I'm worried I'll be damaging the case if there's any difficulty -- This is the disc with small square notches on the periphery.
    Can I safely assume it's 1.5 V, and just try to get a 1.5 V battery that fits? The hatch recess is quite deep -- could it take two batteries?

Re: you don't need seiko brand batteries

Thanks for your reply -- the battery hatch is empty. I haven't gotten around to cracking the other watch open -- it needs one of those special tools. Is there a site that lists the voltage these watches take? Does seiko list it?

Unfortunately the battery recess on one is empty, and I haven't cracked open the other one (needs special tool) to see. The battery recess has no markings to indicate the voltage or battery type. Did all these watches take 1.5 volts total?

Quote Originally Posted by bparacelsus View Post
    Can I safely assume it's 1.5 V, and just try to get a 1.5 V battery that fits?
    If your watch is an analogue, then yes, it is very safe to assume it is 1.5V.

If your watch is digital, depending on how many functions it has(especially if it has a night light), it will most probably take 3V.

In either case, it doesn't hurt to start testing with a 1.5V battery.

The hatch recess is quite deep -- could it take two batteries?
    No.

Someone on the Seiko and Citizen Watch Forum once posted a PDF of a seiko battery guide. it was pretty extensive and broken up by model and battery type. I don't remember if the list went as far back as your models, but it might be worth posting over there and asking if someone can send you a copy of it. I might have a copy of it somewhere. If I can find it, I'll send it to you. Just e-mail me and I'll reply.

Re: battery for Seiko quartz watches

Here you go:

http://trade-info.varta.com/salesmat...Bestueck14.pdf

and here's a link to the "How to" section of the Casio Watch Forum where it is posted:

Watch battery chart

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information