best drop in replacement for 7s26 movement? - Page 2
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: best drop in replacement for 7s26 movement?

-->
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Re: best drop in replacement for 7s26 movement?

I am curious about this spacer you mentioned. I have on several occasions taken 7s26 movements out of seiko 5 dress watches and transplanted them into divers. I never saw or changed any "spacer".

Do you have any pictures?

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by aladin_sane View Post
    I am curious about this spacer you mentioned. I have on several occasions taken 7s26 movements out of seiko 5 dress watches and transplanted them into divers. I never saw or changed any "spacer".

They probably mean the movement holder ring. And the parts lists show only one part.
    I have done lots of swapping of 7s26/36 movements and have only ever seen the one style of ring also.

It is the black ring around the movement. You need to remove the date wheel to do it cleanly. I swapped one with a shallow ring into my Stargate, and I don't know if it was due to the spacer, but the rotor ended up failing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pawl_Buster View Post
    They probably mean the movement holder ring. And the parts lists show only one part.
    I have done lots of swapping of 7s26/36 movements and have only ever seen the one style of ring also.
    I have actually seen 3 sizes of the ring. The diver being the tallest, then the one out of a Seiko 5 snk809 was very close, maybe 0.5mm difference, then a very shallow one from a 7s26 dress watch that allowed the movement to hang 1mm with the case back closed.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by subterfuge View Post
    It is the black ring around the movement. You need to remove the date wheel to do it cleanly. I swapped one with a shallow ring into my Stargate, and I don't know if it was due to the spacer, but the rotor ended up failing.
    Got a part number? The technical sheets/parts lists show only one movement ring.

Ok; just double checked the tech sheet. Had to go down to page 7 where it lists two part numbers(4408 170 and 4408 171) to choose from. It references the casing guides to help choose the correct one.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by xristianos View Post
    Speak to your local watch maker and ask them how much they charge per hour for servicing any movement... They can answer your question as to the reason why
    I fully understand that there's labor cost involved when disassembling an reassembling the movement during service. That's a given.

What I'm really referring to here is that there will be labor costs no matter what. There will be labor costs involved just to take out the movement and the hands and dial and the old movement and replace it with a brand new whole movment including the price for the brand new movment. How long does it take to do this when compared to disassembling and reassembling the entire movement during servicing? If the cost difference is only $30 to $50, then it would be unwise and not frugal to replace the old movement with a brand new one just to save $30 to $50. Do you see what I mean?
    I would think that this would be a judgement call depending upon what different watch repair people would charge for a full service.
    Last edited by Tick Toc; March 26th, 2013 at 22:28.

You can install an already complete movement into an existing watch in under an hour. A pro could do it in his sleep.

Taking apart, cleaning, and lubing an existing movement is simply a lot more work.
    CCCP likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by W123 View Post
    You can install an already complete movement into an existing watch in under an hour. A pro could do it in his sleep.

Taking apart, cleaning, and lubing an existing movement is simply a lot more work.
    And it's not even close. You still have to remove the dial & hands regardless. I'm just getting to the point where I want to start servicing my own movements, but it purely an academic pursuit. I have some old 7s26s laying around that I want to see if I can resurrect, but if it were a matter of dollars and cents (or sense for that matter) there would be no question as to what would be more economical in time, money, and effort.

Hi Aladin, I thought what you said is true too. I'm sorry I do not have any photos, it's simply something I passed on from Duarte at NEWW and Jake B collectively. I was building a SKX031 mod from scratch, meaning case, movement, stem, caseback, crystal... everything sourced separately and Duarte just told me the movement from Jake's site was not a direct drop in. I have no actual hard evidence, admittedly.

Is there a link or website to search for parts for the 7S26/36 movements? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Pawl_Buster View Post
    Got a part number? The technical sheets/parts lists show only one movement ring.

Ok; just double checked the tech sheet. Had to go down to page 7 where it lists two part numbers(4408 170 and 4408 171) to choose from. It references the casing guides to help choose the correct one.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread Information