Can we trust Seiko for Solar watches?
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Can we trust Seiko for Solar watches?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Can we trust Seiko for Solar watches?

I know Citizen is the king of solar with their eco-drives. However, I just like Seiko watches more. Now I have found a new solar model from Seiko that I find interesting. Smallish diver, which I prefer for my 6.75" wrist.

What do y'all think of this? Is this Seiko's first attempt at this technology?

http://www.higuchi-inc.com/seikosolardiver.html

Inactive

Re: Can we trust Seiko for Solar watches?

Quote Originally Posted by magoo View Post
    I know Citizen is the king of solar with their eco-drives. However, I just like Seiko watches more. Now I have found a new solar model from Seiko that I find interesting. Smallish diver, which I prefer for my 6.75" wrist.

Seiko has done solar for almost as long as Citizen. Seiko's success with solar has not been as good as Citizen's. That is partly due to marketing focus and some early problems with the solar technology Seiko used/uses.

If you like the watch and it comes with warranty; go for it. The likelyhood of having any problems are very small
    Eielson likes this.

Banned

Seiko is one of the reputable brands...Try it man and then tell us if it's OK...lol

Quote Originally Posted by magoo View Post

I've had the 007 version of this watch (with the bracelet) for about 8 months now. Wear it a few times a week, sometimes in pretty bad conditions. Have never seen it drop to low battery. The marks on the watch bracelet are minimal, and less than what I was expecting for a Ti piece. I think the bracelet would wear better on a slightly larger wrist. It's not quite as flexible as I believe intended on my wrist (Also a 6.75" ) Accuracy has been great. It's within 15 seconds (which considering I usually set within 20 seconds as "good enough") and I haven't touched the crown since December. (Maybe December first.) It still looks great, even though it's seen some hard working days in a machine shop and at sea. Most of those days, I would have rather had a different watch on, because I care about this one. But they were "suprise" jobs on days I thought I could get away with dressing up a little. It's my dress diver, or my causal night out diver. But I've been very impressed by the durability.
    Seiko SARB059 Alpinist.
    Orient 2ER Blue Ring, Black Dial
    Seiko SHC051 Orange Diver on nato
    Casio G-Shock GW-810 rubber <<deckwatch>>
    Seiko 6309-7049 (safe queen c/ monthly day pass)
    Gifted: SND217, G-shocks, SKA809k2

Quote Originally Posted by fshalor View Post
    I've had the 007 version of this watch (with the bracelet) for about 8 months now. Wear it a few times a week, sometimes in pretty bad conditions. Have never seen it drop to low battery. The marks on the watch bracelet are minimal, and less than what I was expecting for a Ti piece. I think the bracelet would wear better on a slightly larger wrist. It's not quite as flexible as I believe intended on my wrist (Also a 6.75" ) Accuracy has been great. It's within 15 seconds (which considering I usually set within 20 seconds as "good enough") and I haven't touched the crown since December. (Maybe December first.) It still looks great, even though it's seen some hard working days in a machine shop and at sea. Most of those days, I would have rather had a different watch on, because I care about this one. But they were "suprise" jobs on days I thought I could get away with dressing up a little. It's my dress diver, or my causal night out diver. But I've been very impressed by the durability.
    8 months is too short to come into conclusion. My friend eco-drive watch running for 7 years flawlessly and still counting...

My G-Shock tough solar failed me in just less than 2 years.

Seiko like what u mention, fail terrible in initially.

My best bet for solar watches will still be Ecodrive.

Seriously, I will only consider automatic watches for Seiko. Solar watches for citizen eco drive.

i will trust,, seiko...
    G-Shocks and subs

Hey all,

I hate to bump such an old thread, but I was reading this Review - Seiko Prospex Solar Quartz Titanium Diver - SBDN005 and am thinking that an SBDN003 might be in my future. This is the model to which I'm referring:
    SBDN001.SBDN003.SBDN005
    Seiko Solar Divers

Has anyone owned a Seiko with the V145 or V147 for some time now and experienced any problems yet? I've had a Citizen Aqualand for a year and half and haven't had many problems, other than one movement issue which was repaired under warranty, and have had a solar G-Shock Frogman for just over a year and haven't had any issues yet.

Thanks for your input!
    Collection:

Casio G-Shock Solar Frogman (GW-200Z)
    Citizen Promaster Titanium Aqualand (JV0051-60E)
    Seiko Prospex Solar Diver (SBDN003)
    Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Compressor Diving Automatic (Q2018770)
    Rolex Submariner (114060)
    Omega Seamaster Professional (2255.80.00)
    Tudor Hydronaut II (20030-93570)

Field & Stream Compass Pocket Watch
    Longines Pocket Watch (L7.012.4)

Any thoughts?
    Collection:

Casio G-Shock Solar Frogman (GW-200Z)
    Citizen Promaster Titanium Aqualand (JV0051-60E)
    Seiko Prospex Solar Diver (SBDN003)
    Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Compressor Diving Automatic (Q2018770)
    Rolex Submariner (114060)
    Omega Seamaster Professional (2255.80.00)
    Tudor Hydronaut II (20030-93570)

Field & Stream Compass Pocket Watch
    Longines Pocket Watch (L7.012.4)

Quote Originally Posted by Statick View Post
    Any thoughts?
    Actually, I had SBCB007 which is the old model of the current SBDN001 for a while. As you know, it has a V145 in it. I had zero problem with the watch and the movement during my possession. The accuracy was as stated (+15 sec a month). The watch is very light so it was very comfortable to wear in hot summer days.

I think I made a big big mistake by selling it. In fact, I missed the watch so much, I ordered the SBDN001 from Katsu-San 3 days ago. I'll post when I get it. Here's the picture of my old SBCB.

Last edited by ijha; March 10th, 2012 at 06:35.
    Johnny Wishbone likes this.

I have worn a Pulsar Solar watch with the V145 movement for at least 19 years (probably longer) and it has been the most accurate watch I have owned. Just last spring after wearing long sleeves all winter it stopped on me. I placed it in the sunlight and it started working again and has worked all summer since but I suspect the capacitor has aged and now has less capacity. This has caused me to search for a new Pulsar Solar and I did pick up a Pulsar Solar Diver that seems too big and heavy compared to my formally trusty ole Pulsar Solar dress watch. I can only find Pulsar Solar Diver watches. For some reason Pulsar is not making solar dress watches looks like I'm going to have to spend a few more bucks and get a Seiko Solar watch.
    slicknickns likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information