Thread: Citizen BM6400-00E. Any issues?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Citizen BM6400-00E. Any issues?

Hi all,

Thinking of getting myself a Citizen BM6400-00E as a weekend knock-about watch, and also for holidays where the strap and water-resistance is gonna come in handy. I just love the clear dial, and the pics i've seen on here of the lume look great. The only bad points I've established from these forums are the strap, with over-wide hole spacings. The watch will be a special order from my Citizen AD as they dont normally stock this one, so wont know til I get it if it will fit right.

3 questions really:

Wearing it at weekends, and sharing wrist time with my other watches means its gonna spend a few hours in the window charging up, is this sufficient, and how often would you charge it?
    and.....
    I'm thinking if the strap dont fit right, gonna put a 20mm Nato 'Bond type' on it, any issues with that? Whats the lug width?
    and.....
    Whats the lifetime of the cell in the Eco-drive movement, (providing its charged a little and often) I've read approx 10 years, similar to the Seiko Kinetic system, anyone have any better info on lifetime? I'm prepared to accept that the watch will be effectively scrap once the cells dead, or am I wrong?

Thanks for your help, I'll keep you posted if I order one.

Richard.

Re: Citizen BM6400-00E. Any issues?

No issues whatsoever. In fact the watch has a bit of a following around these parts. here is a picture:

The only thing I would mention is that the watch is definitely lighter than it's size would imply. Also under direct lighting, you can see the solar panels in the dial, which is something you don't normally notice in most eco drives.

The best way to keep this and any eco drive is to store them in a place with abundant and consistent light. Don't expose them to a direct source for prolongued periods. Things such as storing them under a lamp or in direct sunlight for prolongued periods will also expose them to heat, which can damage the electronics or fade the plastics. Lots of indirect or filtered light is the key.

Banned

According to Citizen's own accelerated lab tests, the Eco-Drive Li-on battery should still be able to hold about 80% charge capacity after 20 years of regular use.

Below, please find the recharging guide for your new Citizen BM6400-00E:

http://www.citizenwatch.com/CUK/Engl...ber=BM6400-00E

In my experience, I had no problems with any of my 7 Citizen Eco-Drives. The solar system just works and the power reserve on these movements is insane (between 6-9 months).

I wear my watches on a rotation, so they get to be worn once a week and then put back into their boxes. Not a single problem with any of them losing charge or time/date settings.

Highly recommended.

Awesome, versatile watch, no issues whatsoever.

I've had mine for about 6 months and have never made a conscious effort to 'charge' it. It just keeps on going, always absorbing enough ambient light. Don't know the long-term effects of this but, hey, it's a $100 watch.

Lug width is 21mm, and here's mine with a 22 cheap brown strap squeezed into it.

Seiko SKXA53

Citizen NY0040
    Citizen NY2300
    Hamilton Khaki
    Wenger Terragraph
    Casio GW-5600

Way south of the border by way of the Equator, in Niteroi - next to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil!

A small thing but worthy noticing is that the strap lugs are quite tight against the case and do not work well with Zulu straps (the beefier kind), only NATOs. I had to fit mine around the springbars and push the latter in the case lugs.

Other than that, the watch is very nice and has great wrist presence, not to forget its fantastic lume!
    Cheers,

Marcello GT
    ---------------

From top to bottom, we are now @ 13340 meters deep in watches and still counting!

Suspended

I found the stock strap itchy and wore mine on leather and a Nato. 22mm for both. I think if you get something thicker like a Zulu, you might want to go down to 20mm as it puckers.

When you receive it, I would give it a good charge for a day or two. After that, if you wear it on a regular basis, especially during the summer, I would not worry about deliberate charging. You just don't want to store in a dark drawer for many months. Keep it out on a dresser or a glass topped watch box so that can catch the ambient light on a daily basis.

My Casios are the only solar charged watches that I have with a battery indicator and I have found that they often arrive without a full charge, but once charged to high, they never go any lower even with infrequent wear.
    Last edited by nhoJ; December 28th, 2009 at 21:59.

the version i got has the Promaster logo on the dial and crown. but i do not see any difference between with or without.

i tried mine on a variety of straps. The stock canvas strap was a little scratchy for me and at an odd length (it was either too tight or too loose).
    all the straps i used are 22mm. i tried 20mm, but the little 2mm gap really annoyed me.

here it is on black leather for the flieger look

brown croc for a the dressier look

my current and favourite: waterproof kevlar-style strap.

Ben
    Do you like having a good time? Then you need-a-good watch! - Rocky Balboa

Thankyou to all you guys that have replied, you've all given some useful information, and I think you've helped push me towards getting one, I dont see any issues that are gonna be a problem for me.

Ben, I've noticed some seem to have the little Promaster symbol, I think these are termed the BM6400-18E, but not sure, I dont think they're available in the UK market. Some also seem to be the Titanium models with this logo. Nice touch, but I dont think its available here.
    Think I'll be putting it on a 'Bond' or plain black Nato though, think it will dry quicker, the stock strap dont sound too good, see how it fits first, I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks again, big help.

Richard.

Banned

In the UK, Citizen sells the BM6400 on metal bracelet as well:

The BM6400-51E which is sadly not sold in the US:

http://www.citizenwatch.com/CUK/Engl...ber=BM6400-51E

Quote Originally Posted by TikTokClarice View Post
    I've noticed some seem to have the little Promaster symbol, I think these are termed the BM6400-18E, but not sure, I dont think they're available in the UK market. Some also seem to be the Titanium models with this logo. Nice touch, but I dont think its available here.
    You can order from:
    http://www.pmwf.com/Watches/WATCHSAL...BM6400-69E.htm

i havent come across the titanium models, but this watch will be too light if it was in titanium. the stainless steel version is very light as it is.

I liked the promaster logo on the dial. it seems to fill it better, but thats just my personal taste.

whichever one you get, i'm sure you will love it like the rest of us!

Ben
    Do you like having a good time? Then you need-a-good watch! - Rocky Balboa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information