Citizen BM6400-00E Hands to Small?

Thread: Citizen BM6400-00E Hands to Small?

-->
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Citizen BM6400-00E Hands to Small?

Hello all,
    First just want to say this is my first post, although I've been reading on this forum for almost a year!
    Anyway, wanted to get some opinions on the hands of the Citizen BM6400-00E. I LOVE everything about this watch except the hands. I think they are to small and skinny. I really like the bold numbers and markers and excellent lume. (I am a lume freak.) So I would think the hands lume would die out way before the numbers and markers because they are so skinny and small. I current have the Citizen BN0000-04H, which I really like. My favorite thing about it is the excellent lume and the hands. I'm just kinda tired of the total 'diver' look. I like the lume and readability of divers watches. I wish the BM6400-00E had hands more like this! I would buy it in a second. Lume is a big thing for me, and I know from these forums that Seiko tends to be king in this area, but they are automatics, which isn't for me. So I'm looking for any and all opinions. Thanks all!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Re: Citizen BM6400-00E Hands to Small?

First, welcome aboard Mr. Tanna, We don't get that many famous vegas PI's around these parts.

As for the watch, have you handled it in person? If you haven't consider giving it a try. I have handled it several times and really don't thing that the hands are small or undersized at all. The watch is a good size (it is not small like most classic military style watches) and the hands are proportional to the watch's size.

Welcome, dantana! I wouldn't let the hands keep you from trying this one out. It's a cool watch and several WUS members have given it very high marks. As for the lume, it's really the thickness of the application that will determine how long it glows. So there's no reason to suspect that the hands will fade quicker than the dial just because they're narrow. The BM6400-00E is clearly inspired by military watch designs, and they generally have long, thin hands, not the fatter ones that we see on divers. I say go for it!
    Regards,

Gabe

Suspended

I love this watch and I would recommend to anyone. I agree, when I first got this one, I thought the hands could be a little wider. But now I don't really think about it. I think this provides more attention to the numbers. The lume lasts for many hours, at least 4-5, maybe longer. The lume on the hands lasts as long as that on the numbers. I have never noticed the hands going blank before the numbers.

A few things to point out that you won't notice from the online pictures. First the lugs are 21mm. Second, the crystal has a bevel around the edge and is actually raised a little above the bezel. Like Gabe said, it is a good size watch, 45mm including the crown. Also the stock strap has these silver grommet looking things for the holes and a silver keeper. Gives an industrial look to the watch which is not really characteristic of a pilot/military.

PS The dial is glossy, jet black. I keep getting these washed out granular pictures from my little camera.

Last edited by nhoJ; August 11th, 2008 at 22:46.

Lume is good on the hands and dial:

I have thought the minute hand looked a little skinny before, but I got over it. Great watch! I have both the nylon and stainless band for mine.

Later, Gary

We are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors

for sure a great one's.......
    i bought one and then i sold it.....
    but after only a week i had to buy another one for me.....
    a good choice...
    200m WR...
    screwed crown and case back...
    good lume...
    and eco drive...
    you don't need to wear it to have the spring charged...
    just let the watch stay under the light to have it well charged......
    G-Shocks and subs

My St. Moritz Atlas has a very similar look, it's a little smaller, though. It took a little getting used to the skinnier hands (compared to divers) but now I really like them. They remind me of Rolex mercedes hands. The biggest factor to me as far as readablility is the contrast between the hands and dial.

here's mine.....
    G-Shocks and subs

I love this watch as well and have seen it several times. I have to agree with you though, I just wish the hands were a little thicker! For me it just does not work, the numbers are large and thick but the hands just a tad to thin for me. I can understand why everyone likes it though, I love the simplicity of the design!

All the best,
    Ian.

First I just want to say thanks to all for the warm welcomes, excellent insight and feedback, and pics! It's great to know there are others out there as into watches as I am. I had no idea this watch had such a great looking band. I'm surprised Citizen doesn't somehow picture that band for this watch on their website. The band is fantastic! Also, now I'm thinking, if Citizen went and made the hands exactly how I wanted, when I saw it, I would probably want them to put it back the way they originally had them. lol. I have come to the conclusion that I must have this watch and just ordered from Princeton watches (where I got my first eco-drive). Should have in a few days... can't wait!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information