Thread: Citizen Eco-Drive Capacitor Replacement?

Citizen Eco-Drive Capacitor Replacement?

Hello - I have one of these inbound, a Citizen BL60060-56H - a titanium perpetual calendar 200m watch, which looks in pretty good shape!!

I bought it off the bay cheap - the seller said that it doesn't work, so I'm thinking that it's the capacitor that is dead or faulty.

I've replaced capacitors in Seiko Kinetics before, are they similar or something different altogether?

I also would like some guidance as to where to source these, should I need to purchase one.

Thanks for your help - Adam
    The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

Re: Citizen Eco-Drive Capacitor Replacement?

I believe that they use rechargeable storage cells, not capacitors.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RON in PA View Post
    I believe that they use rechargeable storage cells, not capacitors.
    Correct. Eco-Drives do not use capacitors (and never have as a matter of fact). They use rechargeable battery cell that can eventually be replaced.

Seiko, way back in the beginning of the Kinetic era (1998-2000) used to fit capacitors in their watches but these proved to be very problematic and un reliable. Since then, Seiko has also been using more reliable rechargeable battery cells on all their Kinetic watches from around 2001.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the information - now where can I find one, provided that I need to replace it?

Thanks - Adam

Quote Originally Posted by bigolac View Post
    Thanks for the information - now where can I find one, provided that I need to replace it?

Thanks - Adam
    I bought a battery for my 2000 vintage Seiko Kinetic (that did have a capacitor originally) from batterybob.com.

Try the US service centres and sometimes the problem may not lie with the batteries as per my case, where everyone thought the battery was the problem, it turn out to be not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by bigolac View Post

Thanks - Adam
    Start by looking for the battery you need in this reference from our How To and Technical Section, here:

VARTA Multi-Company Quartz Calibers Battery Reference

Then check with your local Radio Shack, Best Buy or similar store and especially camera stores to see if any of them has the battery you need. one is bound to have it. If not, eBay is always a very good source.

BTW, for those of you looking for a seiko Battery reference we also have this saved in our How To and Technical Section:

Seiko Quartz Caliber Power Consumption & Battery Technical Guide

Just an update - I received the watch this afternoon, and it is not in that great of shape - although I should be able to clean it up some....

This is my first eco-drive with a perpetual calendar, so I'm not sure what I'm doing - but when I pull the crown out to the second position to adjust the time, I get clicks, like something is not engaging. Putting it under my lamp for a few minutes will result in the 'clicks' moving the hands a short distance, about two minutes on the dial. I guess I need to find the manual online....

I assumed that the battery is the culprit, so I went to batterybob and ordered a new one. We'll see what happens. I think I will leave the watch under the lamp overnight and see what happens.

Also - is there a preference for what type of light charges the fastest? I have both incandescent and flourescent lamps available.

"Also - is there a preference for what type of light charges the fastest? I have both incandescent and flourescent lamps available".

Bright sunshine, outside on a cloudless day, with the watch facing the sun, is the fastest way to charge a Citizen eco drive watch. Just make sure the watch doesnt get hot.
    Citizen Eco-Drive Promaster SST JW0010-52E
    Citizen Eco-Drive Promaster SKY PMD56-2973
    Citizen Eco-Drive Promaster Carbon JY0075-54E
    Citizen Eco-Drive Promaster Calibre 2100 AV0031-59A
    Citizen Eco-Drive Signature Series Grand Complication BZ0004-59A

"None are more hopelessly enslaved, than those who falsely believe they are free".

Thread Information