Thread: Citizen Skyhawk question

Citizen Skyhawk question

Hi!

I'm interested in getting a Citizen Skyhawk JR3155-0E. The seller who's got a bunch at a good price got some feedback that the buyer claimed a Blue Angels Skyhawk he bought was made in China when the seller says it was made in Japan.

Where are they made?

Thanks for any info you may have!
    Last edited by ledfoot; January 4th, 2010 at 16:04.

Re: Citizen Skyhawk question

Citizen watches should are made in Japan last time i checked. I know some of our more seasoned members will be along to help shed some more light on this subject for you. Cueing MINIDriver......
    "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." -Leonardo da Vinci

BLUE SKIES!

Banned

OK, let's clarify the following....

All movements used in Citizen watches are made in Japan, regardless of where they are sold. The only possible exceptions could be very low end Citizen Eagle 7 automatics that seem to be completely made in Malaysia and are intended for distribution in poorer soth Asian countries, South America, etc.

Now....

Citizens sold in the Japan domestic market are cased (assembled) in Japan. Often the case backs will have the "Made in Japan" engraving and/or also present at the bottom of the dial. If the watch is to be sold in Japan but cased elsewhere, then the watch will have the country of origin engraved in the case back.

Citizens sold in overseas international markets (Including the US), often have Japan made movements but the watches could be cased in China. Citizen, Seiko, etc all have plants in china, Malaysia, Thailand, etc. However, you will not see "Made in China", "Made in Malaysia" engravings as these are not required by any laws outside of Japan. It seems if a watch is to be sold in Japan, the country of origin (Final point of assembly) must be reflected on the piece. Some Seikos sold in Japan but cased in China clearly say "Made in China" in their case backs.

The quality and finishing of their pieces is outstanding, IMHO.
    Last edited by MINIDriver; January 4th, 2010 at 16:02.

Quote Originally Posted by MINIDriver View Post
    OK, let's clarify the following....

All movements used in Citizen watches are made in Japan, regardless of where they are sold. The only possible exceptions could be very low end Citizen Eagle 7 automatics that seem to be completely made in Malaysia and are intended for distribution in poorer soth Asian countries, South America, etc.

Now....

Citizens sold in the Japan domestic market are cased (assembled) in Japan. Often the case backs will have the "Made in Japan" engraving and/or also present at the bottom of the dial. If the watch is to be sold in Japan but cased elsewhere, then the watch will have the country of origin engraved in the case back.

Citizens sold in overseas international markets (Including the US), often have Japan made movements but the watches could be cased in China. Citizen, Seiko, etc all have plants in china, Malaysia, Thailand, etc. However, you will not see "Made in China", "Made in Malaysia" engravings as these are not required by any laws outside of Japan. It seems if a watch is to be sold in Japan, the country of origin (Final point of assembly) must be reflected on the piece. Some Seikos sold in Japan but cased in China clearly say "Made in China" in their case backs.

The quality and finishing of their pieces is outstanding, IMHO.
    Thanks for clearing things up for me. I wrote to the buyer who complained and if his complaint was related to this issue, then I'll feel reassured.

I am not wearing my Skyhawk at the moment, but I do recall the bracelet may say "made in China".
    Current Collection:
    Hamilton Khaki Field Auto 42mm - H70555533
    Seiko SKX781 "Orange Monster"
    Bernhardt Sea Shark - Red
    Orient Star WZ0081EL
    Seiko SKX009K
    Citizen Skyhawk A/T JY0000-53E
    Casio G-Shock Mudman GW9010-1
    Invicta Speedway 9554
    Seiko Kinetic Ti SKH681
    Bucherer 955702
    Seiko 5Y23-8469
    Timex CR2025

Banned

Bracelets are made and machined in China. But the movements are 100% Japan and casing may still happen in Japan or elsewhere.

My E812 based eco drive has a bracelet made in china, and the back case says 'Japan Movement', so I doubt it is assembled in Japan.
    Still, the QC is up to Citizen standards.
    Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all of its students...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TimeSeeker View Post
    My E812 based eco drive has a bracelet made in china, and the back case says 'Japan Movement', so I doubt it is assembled in Japan.
    Still, the QC is up to Citizen standards.
    Likely cased in China.

Thread Information