Thread: Citizen vs Seiko quality?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mac

Citizen vs Seiko quality?

I'm buying a watch for work and want a great looking diver type, pref low maint and accurate (Kinetic / Eco drive?) etc and have seen the new 2009 Citizen 300m eco drive divers.
    I really like the Ti version with carbon fibre bezel but wondered how they compare against the Seiko Kinetic for reliability and general build quality?
    Same goes for the auto's too although I prefer the manual wind capability on the Citizen over the non hacking Seikos.
    I know Seiko do a hacking, manual wind movement but I can't find a diver with it in that I either like or can afford!

Ta.
    If you won't leave me alone, I'll find someone who will

Banned

Re: Citizen vs Seiko quality?

It used to be years ago, that you could see a noticeable difference between the build quality, fit/finish of a Seiko watch and a Citizen timepiece. The Seiko always felt more solid.

Those days are long gone.

Now Citizen matches and even surpasses Seiko in the build/fit & finish departments.

In terms of movement technology, I much prefer Citizen's solar Eco-Drive. Quartz-solar is a great combination. Never been sold on Seiko's Kinetic technology. While cool on paper I fail to see the long term appeal of a watch that needs to be shaken in order to get the battery charged. Solar is the way to go imho.

Feel free to disagree.

I will 2nd the eco-drive vote.

As for fit and finish, i purchased my first citizen & seiko around 10yrs ago. Both of them from back then seem pretty equal. Last 2 months i've purchased 2 citizens and a seiko, still i'd say build quality appears pretty equal. I'd give the edge to the two citizens i just purchased over the seiko i just purchased, but they had a higher msrp so i'd say its a bit expected.

BTW, my citizen eco-drive that i bought 10yrs ago is going strong with zero problems. The lume is still bright as heck and lasts longer then i have ever needed it to. I did, however, crack the crystal of it a little while back by smacking the crystal straight onto the edge of a 1 inch thick glass door. Cant say i blame the crystal for losing that battle.

*edit*
    Forgot to mention all 3 of my citizens are eco-drive and neither of my seiko's are kinetic...never appealed to me either. And, you said you want one for "work" not sure what you do, but i'd double check the eco-drive diver your eyeing, one of their new ones has a slightyly domed crystal. Depending on what you do for a living, a domed crystal may not be what you want to wear to work.
    Last edited by archi2this; November 6th, 2009 at 18:14.

Quote Originally Posted by MINIDriver View Post
    It used to be years ago, that you could see a noticeable difference between the build quality, fit/finish of a Seiko watch and a Citizen timepiece. The Seiko always felt more solid.

Those days are long gone.

Now Citizen matches and even surpasses Seiko in the build/fit & finish departments.

In terms of movement technology, I much prefer Citizen's solar Eco-Drive. Quartz-solar is a great combination. Never been sold on Seiko's Kinetic technology. While cool on paper I fail to see the long term appeal of a watch that needs to be shaken in order to get the battery charged. Solar is the way to go imho.

Feel free to disagree.
    not sure about citizen matching and even surppassing seiko's, but they are right "up there" with lorus
    It's all gone pear shaped

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by seikola View Post
    not sure about citizen matching and even surppassing seiko's, but they are right "up there" with lorus
    Oh really?

Care to elaborate?. Let me grab a bag of popcorn while you are at it.

In autos, Seiko all the way. In the Eco vs. Kinetic, I hate to say it, but the Eco-drives are awesome! I have both, and about once a week, whether I wear it or not I have to get the kinetic out and shake it for a while, to keep the charge up. If you wear it regularly (3-4 times per week), the kinetic is great, (as a mechanical engineer, I think the kinetic mechanism is cool), but if you have enough watches and only wear the kinetic once every couple weeks, it will not stay charged. My Eco-drives sit on top of a bureau, where they only get indirect sunlight and they all stay charged worn or not. So in the Eco vs. Kinetic I have to say Eco-drive. As far as quality, I think they are pretty close.

as someone who owns more eco drives than Mini , and an equal number of kinetics, I can say this:
    Get whichever watch you like, they are both equally good (no I dont think one is better than the other).
    If it comes down to kinetic vs eco drive, get the one you prefer based on looks/features.

Its probably best if you narrow it down to 2 models from each manufacturer and I am sure people can give you more specific info.

LUW

Quote Originally Posted by TimeSeeker View Post
    Get whichever watch you like, they are both equally good (no I dont think one is better than the other).
    If it comes down to kinetic vs eco drive, get the one you prefer based on looks/features.
    Nice to see an unbiased response .
    Cheers!
    Luciano

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LUW View Post
    Nice to see an unbiased response .
    I guess I can take your "snide" post as my response being very biased?

LUW

MINI, come on, if you're not biased towards Citizen and Eco-Drive in general then I'm Gandhi when it comes to talking about the watches I like .
    Cheers!
    Luciano

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information