Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Citizen "Windsurfer" restoration

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Citizen "Windsurfer" restoration

Very interesting, thanks for posting

I know this is an old thread, but thanks! I received this watch for my 21st birthday (23 years ago). I've gone thru a number of bands and hadn't replaced the last one for years. This thread motivated me to restore my old windsurfer watch. I'm in the USA and I found this retailer selling a replacement strap. Now I wonder if I can substitute a different deployment?

Citizen Wind Velocity Rubber Strap

I've never ordered from this company, but I've just ordered this band. If the band isn't a good quality band, I will post here.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimble1 View Post
    xxguitarist, I think the "Windsurfer" name was a marketing ploy. It did have the windspeed/knot legend on the strap but the watch itself did not have any functions directly related to windsurfing.
    I received my Citizen Windsurfer from my dad as a high school graduation present. Dad and I rented sailboards and offered instructions during the summers. The Windsurfer has a countdown function designed to assist at the start of any sailing race. In a sailing race, the starters give advanced notice for when the race will start. This allows the participants to time their starts so they hit the start line at full speed. If I remember correctly, the Windsurfer's countdown function gives warnings at 5 minutes until the start, 1 minute, 30 seconds 20, 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1. So - it does have at least one function specific to sailing. I can't think of a sailboarding specific function however.

Minor sidenote - The Smithsonian has the original sailboard on display.
    Last edited by sbs20912; March 27th, 2011 at 06:24.

I have one I bought back in mid to late 80's and really love the watch. The band on my old Seiko broke so I've gone back to the Windsurfer untill my strap from BJ is finished.

I hadn't worn it in a couple of years, but plan to use it more often. I had forgotten just how much I loved this watch.

The only thing I don't like is the light position. Mine doesn't light the time at all, and only light's the first few bars of the bar graph.

Thanks for the pics.

Hello ,iŽm new here but i have one like that for almost 25 years and iŽm looking for the red button for that watch because i lost mine, does anyone nows where to find one like that , here in portugal the citizen representant dont have spare parts for that model, sorry for the bad inglish
    Last edited by ruismesquita; April 6th, 2011 at 15:19.

Looks like a fantastic restoration! I actually have the same watch and have had mine for around 25 years. I would guess that it has had about 4 band replacements and what may surprise many i that it has only had 2 battery changes in that time. I have worn it faithfully every day since i bought it brand new and other than a few scratches on the face, it still works as well today as the day i bought it. I will never get rid of it, it has simply worked to well. I have been given other watches in that time, but they are still in their boxes at home!

I do! Great condition... just had new battery installed... band also in excellent condition. (Sorry for the glare from my iPhone pic... Also, for the future, if you need a new band, a guy on EBay currently has a several available.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I do! Great condition... just had new battery installed... band also in excellent condition. (Sorry for the glare from my iPhone pic... Also, for the future, if you need a new band, a guy on EBay currently has a several available. Name:  IMG_1030.JPG
Views: 1376
Size:  1.04 MB

omg almost crying reading this topic
    i was more than 4 weeks trying to find someone in the same situation than me.
    i have an old citizen
    D060 - 086961 TA
    42-8060
    GN-4-S

its identical to the guys just posted the pics.
    but mine lacks of North-South circle and original "wind velocity" rubber strap.
    my dad dead (boat crash) with this watch in his hand and it was 26 days underwater until the divers catch him ( my family told me this story ), i was 1 year old and now i have this watch in my hands at 24.

iŽll post pics when i arrive home, seriously, the sentimental value is invaluable. i will buy the original strap here Citizen Wind Velocity Rubber Strap (thanks for posting this) and will try to find a good watchmaker to resurrect this epic piece .
    i will ask to poeta how to get internal replace parts (if i need any to repair).

omg, you made my day guys. thank you!
    Last edited by PeiChecK; May 25th, 2011 at 11:33.

Inactive

I like that watch. I have one that I took diving in Cozumel back in the late 1980's. I had it on a week of dives to around 90 feet two times a day and several weeks later it died. I still have it but unfortunately I don't think it was just the battery. I liked the display and the alarm functions on it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information