Like Tree7Likes

Thread: DutyFree Island (DFIo on eBay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DutyFree Island (DFIo on eBay

Hi guys,

Just received an Citizen Eco Drive BLACK ION 100m SPORTS CHRONO AT2115-52E. I bought it on ebay from DFI.
    I'm very worried about the authenticity, even though though it has over 10,000 reviews. I've seen the watch in a Citizen shop a while ago, and it kind of feels different and the body is kind of plasticy. THe inside of the clasp is silver, weirdly, and I can't remember if it was in the shop or not. BUT it was a month ago so it may be my problem. The main thing is I've had it for a day, and I've noticed that between the links the black ion plating has rubbed off and turned silver. (not very obvious, but noticeable if you look carefully). The caseback is also different to the eco-drive one on the citizen global website.

Any ideas about it? Fake or real, or just factory defect? Should I ask for a replacement/refund? I'll have to pay return shipping to Hong Kong.

Last edited by Nobel; February 8th, 2013 at 16:03.

Re: DutyFree Island (DFIo on eBay

Can't say for sure, but in the case of the Nighthawks:

1) Black ion plating (or PVD) isn't much more than a coating on top of whatever material the bracelet is made of. Keeping the coating in 100% condition is a matter of pure luck (or only using the watch in a padded room in an asylum). The whole scratching/rubbing off thing is the main reason I replaced the PVD bracelet for my Nighthawk without even using it once (I tend to be a bit clumsy so I figured it would be a good idea).

2) Caseback - US and EU/Asia models of the Nighthawk have completely different casebacks. Asian Nighthawks have deeper engraving on the casebacks vs the US version which is more like etching in comparison.

Hope this helps!

Hello Nobel,

Sorry for the problems you have experienced with your timepiece.

Please note that all of our items are 100% Authentic & Can be taken in to a Citizen Service Center and verified directly by Citizen (Please Do not take it to just an Authorized retailer as they tend to dislike the fact that us Discount online retailers are undercutting their prices so significantly and hence may not get the true picture).

The Model you mentioned AT2115-52E is a very recent addition to our selection hence its early to tell if its a model defect. The model is designed specifically for sale in certain markets in Asia (e.g. Taiwan & S.Korea)

The Material is definitely stainless steel, but the Ion Plating should not come out so easily (Citizen normally does a very High-Quality job with this). Can you please send us some photo's by email so we can have a look if it may be a defect with the Piece and/or Model. We are here to support you as our customer and will offer a solution in either case.

Thanks
    DFI
    DiveCon2007 and Prospero like this.

Dubious online trader

Hi Guys

I am a new member on this forum and I have something important to say, to all watch enthusiasts.
    Recently, I was looking for a particular watch on the www and came across this online company called: THE DUTY FREE ISLAND. As I always do, I look at all the features of a website, in order to identify anything dodgy or suspicious, as well as the geographic location of the seller, before I order anything and I think I have found something with this one.
    The first thing that struck me, is that there is no address on their website, although they have a contact number and e-mail address. When I tried the FAQ, wherever you click you have to click on yet another link, which takes you to costumer service, where you have to send an e-mail in order to get an answer to whatever you need to know. There is never a readily available answer. I found this very unusual. Also they do have a lot of watches, but the choice is limited, as they sell mainly Citizen, Seiko and Casio.
    Consumed with curiosity about this seller, I decided to dig deeper. So I googled it and was directed to Ebay. And there it was Ė The duty free island Ė in all its glory. I didnít need much time, before alarm bells started ringing in my head. This company is based in Hong Kong, which is a place I associate with counterfeit goods of all sorts. Indeed, things started to make sense. Perhaps the reason they sell mainly Citizen, Seiko and Casio watches is that they are easier to falsify. Hardly reassuring.
    Digging deeper still, the other watch brand they sell is Roamer, or more specifically the Trekk master. Here things get a bit shady too. This is a watch made in Switzerland, available in six different models, which was launched in 2011 and is no longer produced by the manufacturer. I wanted to purchase a specific model of the Trekk masterís range, but they are very scarce in Europe. Yet, the DFI has not one, but five different models, including the one I want, having ten of each for sale on Ebay. Interesting also, is the fact that they donít seem to have sold a single one, as I could verify on their Ebay shop. Clearly, I am not the only one questioning the genuineness of their watches.
    Although the feedback they have on Ebay is pretty impressive, I was left with an overwhelming feeling of suspicion, as to the authenticity of the watches or indeed everything they sell.
    I like my timepieces, which are all genuine and the idea of having a counterfeit watch among them, is almost unbearable to contemplate.
    Conclusion: I urge all of you, watch enthusiasts, who have bought or intend to buy any watch front the DFI, to be very suspicious.
    Youíll do it at your peril.

All the best
    Last edited by artemislxix; September 14th, 2013 at 16:50. Reason: Removing text

Inactive

Re: Dubious online trader

Quote Originally Posted by artemislxix View Post
    Hi Guys

I am a new member on this forum and I have something important to say, to all watch enthusiasts.
    Recently, I was looking for a particular watch on the www and came across this online company called: THE DUTY FREE ISLAND. As I always do, I look at all the features of a website, in order to identify anything dodgy or suspicious, as well as the geographic location of the seller, before I order anything and I think I have found something with this one.
    The first thing that struck me, is that there is no address on their website, although they have a contact number and e-mail address. When I tried the FAQ, wherever you click you have to click on yet another link, which takes you to costumer service, where you have to send an e-mail in order to get an answer to whatever you need to know. There is never a readily available answer. I found this very unusual. Also they do have a lot of watches, but the choice is limited, as they sell mainly Citizen, Seiko and Casio.
    Consumed with curiosity about this seller, I decided to dig deeper. So I googled it and was directed to Ebay. And there it was Ė The duty free island Ė in all its glory. I didnít need much time, before alarm bells started ringing in my head. This company is based in Hong Kong, which is a place I associate with counterfeit goods of all sorts. Indeed, things started to make sense. Perhaps the reason they sell mainly Citizen, Seiko and Casio watches is that they are easier to falsify. Hardly reassuring.
    Digging deeper still, the other watch brand they sell is Roamer, or more specifically the Trekk master. Here things get a bit shady too. This is a watch made in Switzerland, available in six different models, which was launched in 2011 and is no longer produced by the manufacturer. I wanted to purchase a specific model of the Trekk masterís range, but they are very scarce in Europe. Yet, the DFI has not one, but five different models, including the one I want, having ten of each for sale on Ebay. Interesting also, is the fact that they donít seem to have sold a single one, as I could verify on their Ebay shop. Clearly, I am not the only one questioning the genuineness of their watches.
    Although the feedback they have on Ebay is pretty impressive, I was left with an overwhelming feeling of suspicion, as to the authenticity of the watches or indeed everything they sell.
    I like my timepieces, which are all genuine and the idea of having a counterfeit watch among them, is almost unbearable to contemplate.
    Conclusion: I urge all of you, watch enthusiasts, who have bought or intend to buy any watch front the DFI, to be very suspicious.
    Youíll do it at your peril.

All the best
    New member with only this one post...what is your agenda?
    Could you possibly be a competitor?

It's all too easy to throw around innuendo and accusations without supplying a single bit of proof.

Is this to be the new norm with various Southeast Asian competitors warring it out on watch forums?
    I can tell you that it will only hurt you and the rest of the industry as hobbyists and collectors will simply move to other sources and makes!

Please; if you cannot or are not willing to compete in a professional manner; then get out of the business
    DiveCon2007 and sirgilbert357 like this.

Re: Dubious online trader

can we remove the spam post

I ordered a Citizen BL5250-53L from DFI about 4 years ago. I think this was not long after they started. All went smoothly and I saved a circa £70 versus UK street price. They shipped sans box though.

I think is safe to ignore the above post!

Sent from my iPhone 6 (pre-production beta)

I've ordered multiple watches from Duty Free, and all have been authentic with no issues. Artemis is a d!ck.
    killbill likes this.
    Human existence is completely dependent on the upper 6 inches of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

I can give a thumbs up for Duty Free Island.

I purchased a Citizen BN0100-00E from them on the bay, shipping to the UK took 10 days, the watch was 40% cheaper than any European seller, is definitely genuine and still in regular rotation, wearing it as I type.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.

The Duty free Island

Hi Clouser from the lone star sate

It was with good faith that I posted my message regarding the DFI, recently.
    As an enthusiast and lover of authentic timepieces, I felt that it was my duty to raise the issue, on this very popular forum. Counterfeit goods on the web, particularly watches, is a real problem and should not be underestimated. It is up to us, the consumer, to take the necessary precautions. It is better to be safe than sorry.
    Instead of calling me a d..k, you should be rather grateful. My opinion hasnít changed, I remain very suspicious of the Duty free island, Iím afraid.
    Oh by the way, you should refrain from posting your picture on this forum or indeed anywhere, especially when faced with someone who has been blessed with eyesight, which makes an Eagle look like a short-sighted pensioner.
    From here, I can see egg-laying lice crawling all over your facial hair and its offspring about to hatch.

All the best

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information