Thread: Energy-Saving Light Bulb Can't Charge EcoDrive?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Energy-Saving Light Bulb Can't Charge EcoDrive?

You know those energy savings bulbs (pictured below) that's only 25W and as bright as 75W or something like that?
    They can't really power up/charge an Ecodrive watch can they? I haven't been wearing my EcoDrive lately so it's been sitting in a display box with see-through glass top, and yesterday it stopped.

I thought the watch was broken, but to make sure, I just put in under a desklamp for 45min or so and then it started to work again.
    The watchbox is sitting in a bedroom so obviously it is exposed to light at least 6-8 hours a day. So that means these bulbs are not powerful enough to charge the Ecodrive? (if it charges at all)
    What do you guys think ? Anyone experienced this before?

Suspended

Re: Energy-Saving Light Bulb Can't Charge EcoDrive?

I seem to remember the Eco Drive manuals specify a charge time for fluorescent bulbs. I think it just depends on how much light is getting to the dial while it is in your box.

Quote Originally Posted by djmm View Post
    You know those energy savings bulbs (pictured below) that's only 25W and as bright as 75W or something like that?
    They can't really power up/charge an Ecodrive watch can they? I haven't been wearing my EcoDrive lately so it's been sitting in a display box with see-through glass top, and yesterday it stopped.

I thought the watch was broken, but to make sure, I just put in under a desklamp for 45min or so and then it started to work again.
    The watchbox is sitting in a bedroom so obviously it is exposed to light at least 6-8 hours a day. So that means these bulbs are not powerful enough to charge the Ecodrive? (if it charges at all)
    That's a CFL bulb and the solar cell may not be as sensitive to light from a flourescent as it is from an incandescent bulb. What does your owners manual say about charge times from this type of bulb.

How old is your eco-drive?

I can't stand fluorescent bulbs. They make me feel as though I'm trying to see by lantern light.

Having ranted I have no idea what their effect is on eco-drives.
    I know nothing except the fact of my own ignorance. Socrates

I just deleted what I posted at first. For some reason I thought we were talking about the lume

Anyway, I think you should let the watch get a full charge on direct sunlight. If its sunny should take around 3 to fours hours depending on the model (for what I have read around)
    Don't forget to reset the watch after is fully charged if the watch was dead or with low power before the charge.
    Last edited by jay.scratch; March 2nd, 2010 at 05:42.

Quote Originally Posted by djmm View Post

You would have to know how many LUX that bulb is emitting, then do the calculation according to the charging section of your watch manual. If i were to venture a guess, i would say that bulb produces about 500 lux. Thats barely a trickle charge for an eco drive watch. At that rate it would take months to charge it up. To use that method, you should have at least 3,000 lux. By the way, outdoor bright sunlight has a value of 100,000 lux.
    Citizen Eco-Drive Promaster SST JW0010-52E
    Citizen Eco-Drive Promaster SKY PMD56-2973
    Citizen Eco-Drive Promaster Carbon JY0075-54E
    Citizen Eco-Drive Promaster Calibre 2100 AV0031-59A
    Citizen Eco-Drive Signature Series Grand Complication BZ0004-59A

"None are more hopelessly enslaved, than those who falsely believe they are free".

Maybe the angle of light hitting the solar cell was off by a little too much or too far away from your watchbox and it went into powersaver mode? THat bulb will certainly charge a properly functioning ecodrive watch.
    "You've stolen my heart, yes You have, You've wiped away the stains, broke away the chains, yes You have!" Leeland

RPF

To charge via fluorescent, you'll have to put it at least 6-12'' from the light source for days on end to get a full charge. Take care not to overheat it though.

Simply put, the watch is not getting enough light intensity to maintain a charge.

You can read the owner's manual for a more detailed explanation, with supporting numbers.

Ah I think I see the problem now. Looks like energy saving bulbs don't go really well with EcoDrive panels then. Guess I have to just wear it then.

My box and manual must be sitting somewhere in storage, so I need to look for it. But generally speaking how long does it take to fully charge the watch under room light and under sunlight?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information