First impressions of CITIZEN PROMASTER PMV65-2242 Perfex Multi 3000 Limited Edition - Page 2
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: First impressions of CITIZEN PROMASTER PMV65-2242 Perfex Multi 3000 Limited Edition

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: First impressions of CITIZEN PROMASTER PMV65-2242 Perfex Multi 3000 Limited Edition

Nice watch, but damn is it busy! How can you remember how to read and operate all those analog functions!

Re: First impressions of CITIZEN PROMASTER PMV65-2242 Perfex Multi 3000 Limited Edition

Quote Originally Posted by mchomicz View Post
    Personally - I'd advise against replacing the battery yourself - should it fail on you. Screw back or not. Unless you REALLY know what you are doing - chances are pretty good that after such a procedure - your watch won't be water resistant any more. Normally, when a water resistant watch is serviced - the gasket needs to be replaced, properly lubricated with appropriate silicone grease and (in in case of a screw back) tightened to a specified torque level. Unless you happen to have a small machine shop in your house (or you are a watch maker or a jeweler) chances are that while you might save a few bucks (or Pounds; or Euros ) you will do more damage than good.
    I don't know if my watch is a 'one piece' case or not. It certainly does look like the case back is openable and it certainly does look like it simply 'pops' on (not a screw back).

Not sure if it's also visible in the photo - but the case back reads: "DON'T OPEN! SERVICE CENTER REPAIR ONLY" Now this is just pure speculation on my part. But my guess is that the reason for this warning is that in order to avoid damaging the watch - a specialized tool needs to be used when opening and resealing the watch (provided it's in fact openable from the back; which to me - this warning implies that it is; BTW - of course it's openable one way or another - perhaps through the crystal; after all the movement had to be cased SOMEHOW ).

Either way - even if the watch (or the rechargeable battery) does fail - I certainly won't be trying to replace it myself. Paying $80 to have it replaced by a service center it's better than destroying or damaging the watch and thus rendering it worthless...

To end on a positive note - I've read a post on another forum by a CITIZEN USA employee that Ecodrive's service life is "up to 50 years." Of course - I bet that's under ideal conditions and assuming nothing fails in the mean time. But even if I get 20 years from the watch before I have to shell out $80 to change the cell - I'd be quite happy (provided I hold on to it that long of course).

Michael
    I don't intend to try to open the Watch myself, I just felt a little disappointed, even cheated to discover that the Watch does not have a screw down caseback. I feel that it is not good enough for Watches in this price range. Puts me in mind of a cheap Casio.

Apart from that, Watch is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Isthmus View Post
    Nice watch, but damn is it busy! How can you remember how to read and operate all those analog functions!
    Heh - analogue dials are the easy ones because you don't really operate them in any way. They just show things.

Battery meter is more of an eye candy than anything else (I mean - how many times a day am I going to check that my watch is STILL at full charge?).

Below it is an indicator showing which broadcast station was last used / is currently being used for time syncing and it's hard wired to the hometown setting (so NYC will always pick up time from Colorado whereas PAR will always pick up time from Germany etc).

Center stage is the UTC 24 sub-dial. Which is great for pilots I'm sure You don't operate it at all for obvious reasons (UTC does not have daylight savings time).

To the right of it is the 24 hour dial. It's a rather fancy am/pm indicator which again - you don't operate. It's just there in case you happen to be in a windowless cave and lost track of night and day

The last dial on the bottom, however, is where all the action is. It's used for changing 'modes.' Though in and of itself - it doesn't do all that much aside from showing... which mode has been entered (which you do by pulling the crown to the first position and turning it). All the actual 'doing' of things is accomplished with the digital displays. And it gets mighty confusing. To me any way. Perhaps some day I will be able to do most of the things without the manual. But not any time soon.

Along with the slide rule - all these dials and displays certainly do add up to a busy watch. Whether or not one likes it - I guess it's a personal preference...

Michael
    Last edited by mchomicz; August 8th, 2007 at 00:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Radio_Daze View Post
    I don't intend to try to open the Watch myself, I just felt a little disappointed, even cheated to discover that the Watch does not have a screw down caseback. I feel that it is not good enough for Watches in this price range. Puts me in mind of a cheap Casio.
    Yeah, I can see what you mean. I guess what I was hoping is that it's not your plain vanilla pop-in case back but instead some sort of fancy variation that requires specialized tools to take in and out (and also is able to withstand specified 20 bar of pressure).

Perhaps that's just wishful thinking on my part. You are right though - it's hard to imagine Citizen or any other self respecting watch company would put in a plain old cheapo pop-in case back and have the nerve to charge the kind of cash that they do...

Michael

Thanks for the reply Michael.

Perhaps someone else can throw some light on the matter concerning the back.

I do like your Watch and I am even cosidering buying the stainless steel model with the orange accents, as I think it is available now.

Cheers, Ken.

Gang,

I currently own 6 Citizen eco-drives -- from the earliest "Solar-teck" to the latest AT Skyhawk AT (radio controlled in stainless which I purchase when they first sold them in the US). My next Eco-drive will be the titanium version Skyhawk AT.

THE CASE BACK: It does indeed APPEAR to have an independent case back. It is NOT clear, however, if the case back is a "snap-on" (cheap and "old-school") or [my guess] "pressed" into the back of the watch. Because of the 200 meter rating, I must assume that the watch is well gasketed -- regardless of how the back is secured to the watch body. I'm not concerned. Citizen knows what they're doing.

ACCESS TO REPLACE "BATTERY": My oldest Eco-drive is about 10 years old. It was the FIRST "Solar-Teck" 200 meter diver Citizen produced. It has a SOLID, 1-piece case with NO case back whatsoever. The watch has sat on my dresser for 10 FEAKING YEARS!!!! and it runs PERFECTLY!!! The only light it gets is from the table lamp which is off most of the time -- and some ambient light. I'm not concerned with the rechargeable battery being replaced -- ever. My understanding is that, in fact, the battery is actually a "capacitor" which holds the electrical charge. IF so, it may never have to be replaced. Capacitors are very small electrical devices (used in neary all radios, TVs, etc.), that hold electrical charges and can be charged and discharged zillions of times! I've owned MANY radios and TVs that lasted for more than 20 years. Not to worry.

Louis

Basically a Skymaster AT in better dress, right? I have one of those and it is a great watch. Busy, yeah; big, yeah (mostly thick more than big around). Great feature set, but omigosh if you want to use things like the chronograph...I, for one, would need the instruction manual. Once set up, though, it's a great watch. One funny note: it is more finicky about radio reception here in MA than my son's Casio MTG9-something...not sure why.

At any rate, nice watch, nice pix - enjoy!
    16710 GMT Master II ~ 3590.50 Speedmaster Professional ~ 2531.80 Seamaster Professional ~ Skyhawk AT JY0000-53E ~ P6502 Traser ~ Suunto Core LG ~ Highgear Altis TI ~ Casio Pathfinder PAW1300Y-1VCR

Sorry but you're incorrect...

I owned one of the first and I thought the same thing. I contacted Citizen because I was being challenged on that issue (monoque case). They said no, there is a back on this watch.

Now, with that said, I totally agree with those who argue it is a non-issue. 200m WR is what they advertise and I would not doubt Citizen.

Gerry
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry.GEG View Post
    Hey,

The case back on the Perfex 3000 is an illusion. No case back whatsoever, I'ts a monoque case.

I got mine last week and you have to keep in mind that Citizen would never create a watch like this with a 20Bar WR with anything less than a screw in back although this one being a "never open Eco-Drive" has a one piece case.

Gerry

Re: Sorry but you're incorrect...

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry.GEG View Post
    I owned one of the first and I thought the same thing. I contacted Citizen because I was being challenged on that issue (monoque case). They said no, there is a back on this watch.

Now, with that said, I totally agree with those who argue it is a non-issue. 200m WR is what they advertise and I would not doubt Citizen.

Gerry
    I'm confused here, Gerry. It appears that you're calling yourself out for being incorrect in a post you wrote over a year ago?

This thread is very old, but just to close the issue - these watches definitely have snap-on casebacks, as do the Skyhawks currently being sold in the US.
    Regards,

Gabe

Great Citizen you have there nice pictures.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information