First impressions of CITIZEN PROMASTER PMV65-2242 Perfex Multi 3000 Limited Edition
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: First impressions of CITIZEN PROMASTER PMV65-2242 Perfex Multi 3000 Limited Edition

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Picture First impressions of CITIZEN PROMASTER PMV65-2242 Perfex Multi 3000 Limited Edition

It arrived in the mail today and the very first though I had when I opened the box was 'wow - this thing is BIG'. But it's a good thing - because if it were any smaller - all the lettering, dials and LCD displays would be either too crowded on the dial or else illegible. So it's nice to have ample real estate on the dial.

There is a ton of information available at a glance on the watch and some of it is customisible (I have only briefly looked through the manual but will definitely need to study it to take full advantage of the watch). One notable sub-dial is the centrally located UTC which I suppose is a great thing for pilots, ship navigators, ham-radio operators and so forth. I personally have no use for it - but I guess that's the price you pay for a cool looking 'pilot' watch All of these dials and displays are housed underneath a domed, double anti-reflection coated sapphire crystal. The coating of the crystal reminds me of anti-glare coating put on glasses these days. Though it's blueish - and not greenish - in hue.

The fit and finish of the watch are top notch. I was hoping they'd be - but when shopping for watches based solely on photos and accounts of other owners - it's always a gamble...

The watch looks big on its own and feels even bigger on the wrist. And even though it's made out of titanium - it still feels fairly hefty. Though perhaps it's because for the past 2 months I did not take a plastic G off my wrist... So anything metal now feels heavy in comparison.

My only concern is about the brownish / dark gray finish of the watch (really hard to define; the actual color depends on ambient light). I've only had one 'anodized' (or otherwise colored) watch before. It was a G-Shock and it scratched very easily. It was quite a disappointment and I ended up selling it for that reason. But that CASIO was a plain vanilla anodized stainless steel watch with no 'scratch resistant' protection of any kind. This watch features CITIZEN's 'Duratect' scratch resistant coat. We'll see how well it wears...

I'd LOVE to hear from other Duratect-coated watch owners out there about their experiences and just how scratch resistant Duratect really is!

This is by far the most expensive watch I have (or ever had) - about 3 times as much as the second most expensive watch in my 'collection.' Is it worth a grand? Probably not... It's a quartz watch after all - and not of the 'high end quartz' verity. But it has just about every single feature that I wanted in a watch including multi-band capability for reception not only in the US but also Europe and Japan. And it looks REALLY good. Much better in person than in any photos I had seen. If only I could substitute day/date for the 'home town' display I do travel on occasion - but not so often as to forget where I am right now (I'm sure some commercial pilots may need a reminder as to where it is in the world that they are). I find myself not knowing today's date or day of the week far more often then my location on the planet!

Some photos below.

Michael

Last edited by mchomicz; August 7th, 2007 at 02:10. Reason: fixed typo

Good choice! Enjoy it

A very nice tool pilot watch! I have found that it synchronizes much better than any of my other Casio atomic watches here in New Jersey. The backlit LCD is blinding. And if you aren't familiar w/ DLC's hardness check out my photos below of pics where I keyed the clasp. Scratches are a thing of the past with DLC

eskerbillion likes this.
    Are you a Watchaholic using the C.A.G.E. criteria?

Have you ever felt the need to Cut down on your watch binging?
    Have you ever felt Annoyed by crticism of your watch binging?
    Have you ever felt Guility about watch binging?
    Have you ever had to take a morning Eye opener?
    Hidden Content

Re: Good choice! Enjoy it

Thanks for the info and the photos. Wow - these 'scratch' shots are freaky. If that's the kind of scratch resistance I should expect from this watch - then it just MIGHT be worth the money

Michael

WX1

Re: First impressions of CITIZEN PROMASTER PMV65-2242 Perfex Multi 3000 Limited Edition

Nice pics. A bit too "digital" for my tastes, but, hey, Citizen Eco-Drive; can't go wrong. Man, when it comes to Citizen Eco-Drives, I'm glad I learned of their existence before I might've wasted cash on some other stuff.

Heck, I'd consider getting this watch after reading this thread. If it comes my way, the fact that it's a limited ed' makes it all the more enticing.

"WOAH!" regarding the scratches on the faster, was my reaction at first (that and, yikes, would you REALLY need to etch your initials on the watch). On the contrary -- nothing like "scratch and after" pics to prove the mettle (pardon the implied pun) of this watch.

Nice narrative, by the way. Succinct, detailed, to the point.

Re: First impressions of CITIZEN PROMASTER PMV65-2242 Perfex Multi 3000 Limited Edition

Quote Originally Posted by WX1 View Post
    Nice pics.
    Thanks!
    A bit too "digital" for my tastes
    Funny that you'd say that. About a year or so ago I felt the same about most ana/digi combinations. With the notable exception of some Skyhawk models from Citizen. I come pretty close to buying Citizen JR3060-59F at some point but I decided it was a bit too small for me. Besides - I was pretty set by then to only by quartz watches as long as they are solar AND atomic.

Later on - my quartz requirements got even stricter. I sold all of my solar atomic quartz watches that were not multi-band capable. For a while - I did not have any analogue quartz watches at all because there was nothing on the market that would satisfy my preference for solar atomic and multi-band. CASIO had some OCEANUS watches which are quite nice. But I had a hard time paying that kind of money for a CASIO. Oceanus or not. Besides, I had learned from my previous experience with a couple solar atomic CASIOs (with movements that were dual-band variation of what's used in the OCEANUS MultiBand 5) that when it comes to simultaneous display of time in multiple time zones - subdials, while they do look more aesthetically pleasing than LCD displays - are too hard to read to be of much use.

And then Citizen released their latest Promaster flight watches (also sold as Skyhawk AT; though as best as I can tell - they are not [perhaps yet?] available in Titanium outside of Japan; Skyhawk AT model in stainless steel and with a bit more colorful dial - can be had for about $450; too flashy for my taste though with orange needles and lettering). Now FINALLY there was a watch that had [just about] everything I ever wanted from an analogue quartz watch (or ana/digi combination - so long as it's a CITIZEN ). I just had to have it...
    Nice narrative, by the way. Succinct, detailed, to the point.
    Thank you

Thx,
    Michael
    Last edited by mchomicz; August 7th, 2007 at 02:49.

I like very much your new Citizen Promaster.

However I notice that your's, like my Citizen below, also has what appears to be a snap on caseback. I have several Citizens bought at cheaper prices, that all have screw on casebacks. I have noticed a couple of other Citizen Radio controlled Watches on the net that also have snap on casebacks. I find it strange that Watches which claim 20 bar water resistance have such casebacks. I must say that I was quite disappointed when I first noticed this on my Watch. I would be very reluctant to buy another Citizen with a caseback like this, as I always associate such casebacks with real bottom end quality!

Is this a way for Citizen to cut down on production costs I wonder?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have the same watch in DLC and it has a screw back

Hi Radio Daze,
    I too have your watch but in DLC and I don't know why but mine has a screwback case. For me it really makes no difference if the case back has screws, case threaded, or snap on. 20 bar is 20 bar on all three. I would be more concerned about gaskets and repairs done by non-Citizen authorized repair centers that would damage the gaskets and make the watch water prone. But I can see your point and I have no idea why Citizen has two different types of case backs on virtually the same watch yet both have the same water resistance. Maybe someone from Citizen will happen to read this and chime in.

Are you a Watchaholic using the C.A.G.E. criteria?

Have you ever felt the need to Cut down on your watch binging?
    Have you ever felt Annoyed by crticism of your watch binging?
    Have you ever felt Guility about watch binging?
    Have you ever had to take a morning Eye opener?
    Hidden Content

Hey,

The case back on the Perfex 3000 is an illusion. No case back whatsoever, I'ts a monoque case.

I got mine last week and you have to keep in mind that Citizen would never create a watch like this with a 20Bar WR with anything less than a screw in back although this one being a "never open Eco-Drive" has a one piece case.

Gerry

Hi allanvalle,

I've seen the pictures of your Watch before and I had noticed that it had a screw on caseback. Mine is a European model which I bought from a seller in Italy for 429 Euro's. It's not Duratect like your's but is said to be TICC coated.

By the way, I don't think mine has a one piece case. At least I hope not! What would I do when the rechargeable battery eventually needs to be replaced? I've seen on these forums that these batteries can expire in as little as four years.

If you look at the picture there is a slight gap between the case and the back.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Radio_Daze View Post
    By the way, I don't think mine has a one piece case. At least I hope not! What would I do when the rechargeable battery eventually needs to be replaced? I've seen on these forums that these batteries can expire in as little as four years.
    Personally - I'd advise against replacing the battery yourself - should it fail on you. Screw back or not. Unless you REALLY know what you are doing - chances are pretty good that after such a procedure - your watch won't be water resistant any more. Normally, when a water resistant watch is serviced - the gasket needs to be replaced, properly lubricated with appropriate silicone grease and (in in case of a screw back) tightened to a specified torque level. Unless you happen to have a small machine shop in your house (or you are a watch maker or a jeweler) chances are that while you might save a few bucks (or Pounds; or Euros ) you will do more damage than good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Radio_Daze View Post
    If you look at the picture there is a slight gap between the case and the back.
    I don't know if my watch is a 'one piece' case or not. It certainly does look like the case back is openable and it certainly does look like it simply 'pops' on (not a screw back).

Not sure if it's also visible in the photo - but the case back reads: "DON'T OPEN! SERVICE CENTER REPAIR ONLY" Now this is just pure speculation on my part. But my guess is that the reason for this warning is that in order to avoid damaging the watch - a specialized tool needs to be used when opening and resealing the watch (provided it's in fact openable from the back; which to me - this warning implies that it is; BTW - of course it's openable one way or another - perhaps through the crystal; after all the movement had to be cased SOMEHOW ).

Either way - even if the watch (or the rechargeable battery) does fail - I certainly won't be trying to replace it myself. Paying $80 to have it replaced by a service center it's better than destroying or damaging the watch and thus rendering it worthless...

To end on a positive note - I've read a post on another forum by a CITIZEN USA employee that Ecodrive's service life is "up to 50 years." Of course - I bet that's under ideal conditions and assuming nothing fails in the mean time. But even if I get 20 years from the watch before I have to shell out $80 to change the cell - I'd be quite happy (provided I hold on to it that long of course).

Michael
    Last edited by mchomicz; August 7th, 2007 at 23:03.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information