Grand Seiko SBGA011 (Snowflake) rotor became noisy - Page 2
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Grand Seiko SBGA011 (Snowflake) rotor became noisy

-->
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Grand Seiko SBGA011 (Snowflake) rotor became noisy

Great video, shows it very clearly.

I can't say whether it's good or bad though.

That low frequency sound is similar to what I've heard in watches where the movement is a little loose in the case and it rattles and makes a sound like that when winding.

I very much doubt that you have that problem with your snowflake though.

Is there a dealer in Switzerland you can get to who can listen to it for you?
    "A hot or cold car can kill your children and is even worse for your watches."

Quote Originally Posted by Turnaround View Post
    Can't tell you if the noise is something that you should be concerned about, but the mics proximity effect great increase the "sonic size" of the rotor.
    If you use headphones and set the volume to a normal listening level, then the video is pretty much the same loudness as the watch, held and wiggled close to the ear.

While I'm not going to label myself an expert, I do feel I'm qualified to answer your question now after hearing your video. YOUR WATCH IS FINE! I just took my GS SBGE001 Spring Drive GMT held it my ear (both front crystal facing, and then turned it around so the back of the watch case, was facing my ear) and did the same movements that you performed in the video. Same exact noise, everything from the mechanical resonance of the rotor, to the clicking of the auto winding mechanism. Completely normal. My SBGA029 Spring Drive Airdiver is a little harder to hear, but the same noise is there. I think that perhaps the larger case design of my Airdiver might actually help to "mute" the noise when comparing the two. I also just tried your shake test with my SBGH005 Hi-Beat which is a purely mechanical auto wind GS movement, and the noise it emits is similar with the rotor noise, but he clicking is "finer, with closer and more muted little clicking" sounds. I really hope that helps. I'd be willing to wager your watch is 100% fine and doing well! No worries mate!

Cheers,

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Planet View Post
    Thanks all so far.

Here's a video, the sound was taken with an external microphone, these are not loud sounds so there is some noise anyway.

I'm 100% sure I would have noticed, because earlier, I was pleased how silent it was.

Anyway, please listen to the sound in the video. There's a Rado Ceramica Digital for comparison too. Cool watch too, in my opinion, it's the prettiest digital watch that I'm aware of, even though the readability is bad in low light.

Do your spring drive rotors sound similar?

Again, this thread exist strictly because the watch used to be nearly or totally silent before. I didn't have the bracelet off before and it always makes a little noise too.

Quote Originally Posted by j-watch View Post
    YOUR WATCH IS FINE! I just took my GS SBGE001 Spring Drive GMT held it my ear (both front crystal facing, and then turned it around so the back of the watch case, was facing my ear) and did the same movements that you performed in the video. Same exact noise, everything from the mechanical resonance of the rotor, to the clicking of the auto winding mechanism. Completely normal.
    Joe, that helps a lot. Being a perfection nutter at times, I was starting to read the warranty fine print and to figure out how to have the watch sufficiently insured during shipping. But it seems unnecessary as all is fine. Good thing it's the weekend. Thanks!
    Last edited by Planet; June 17th, 2012 at 15:28.

The sound is totally normal. It always always there, I'm not sure what made it impossible for you to hear it before.

This is a byproduct of automatic winding systems that use pawls and pawl wheel, which basically comes down to Seiko's magic lever, used in your GS, and higher-end IWCs have the Pellaton (2).

Here's a photo of Seiko's solution:

See the two little arm things touching the bronzeish colored wheel on the bottom right? Those are the pawls.

This ingenious solution makes it possible for the rotor to wind in both directions. Basically, no matter how the wheel turns, due to the geometry of the teeth of the wheel and the different (opposing) pawls, it will be winding when it moves.

The byproduct of that is the ratcheting of the pawl over the teeth. I believe that's the sound we hear in our Seikos. By the same token, you should hear it on higher-end IWCs too.

Anyway, it's normal.
    Last edited by CitizenM; June 20th, 2012 at 11:10.
    kateygrrl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenM View Post
    Anyway, it's normal.
    Did you perhaps listen to the video with a Notebook built in speakers? Or maybe another listening device that lacks some low frequency response? If I listen to the video with my Notebook speakers, I can come to the same conclusion as you did.

I am objecting about the lower frequency noise, most probably emitted by the rotor's ball bearing. Not about the high frequency ratcheting noise. It was not nearly as loud before. No, I am not imagining this.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to other spring drive watches. A direct comparison would shed more light on the issue than anything else. I also can`t make a "before" video anymore .

So, who knows, maybe the suspected bearing noise on my SBGA011 is normal, but in my opinion, it is too loud for an expensive precision device. But the watch works fine so there's not much I can do about it.
    Last edited by Planet; June 20th, 2012 at 14:49.

Well, if you want to compare it in a store or something, almost all automatic Seikos have the same winding system. Just avoid the modern Grand Seiko automatics (as opposed to the spring drives) which use a different winding system and you can compare.

I'll listen again and see.

ive followed this thread with some interest. the way i see it, i dont think anyone can tell you its normal when for the 1st 6 months you didnt notice it and now you do. from the outside that makes no sense. if i were you, id get it checked. might only need slight adjusting, who knows, but if its making noises it didnt for 6 whole months it cant be fine in my book

All my automatic GS make a winding sound, but then they are all around 45 years old. Conversely, my 1962 Omega SM300 winds silently. The GSs kill it for power reserve, though.

Quote Originally Posted by brett kenny View Post
    if i were you, id get it checked. might only need slight adjusting, who knows, but if its making noises it didnt for 6 whole months it cant be fine in my book
    These were my initial thoughts, but then we had clarencek explain that his spring drives were silent first, but not later and we had j-watch say that his spring drive sounds exactly the same as my video.

I worry that when I send in the watch that I get a "no faults found" for all the trouble.

The watch winds up fine as ever.

I forgot up until now to mention, that when wiggling the watch, I can also feel in my fingertips an easily detectable vibration as the rotor rocks back and forth.

So, I have no immediate access to other spring drive watches. If I ever do, I will compare them with mine and, if I can, even make a video. But I have no idea if and when, so please no one hold their breath.

Until then, thanks so much for the help, you're all great.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information