Thread: Hardlex? How much scratch resistant is this kind of glass?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hardlex? How much scratch resistant is this kind of glass?

Hello there,

I know we have discussed a lot of times about hardlex but based on your personal experience, how much scratch resistant is this kind of glass? Is it better than mineral one?

Cheers

Re: Hardlex? How much scratch resistant is this kind of glass?

Quote Originally Posted by flori78 View Post
    Hello there,

I know we have discussed a lot of times about hardlex but based on your personal experience, how much scratch resistant is this kind of glass? Is it better than mineral one?

Cheers
    I just sent my Modded 007 with Hardex to Jack@IWW yesterday, I purchased two(2) Modded 007's in one week on the SF about 4 weeks ago. One had the Domed Sapphire & one not, it took all of 1 week to start seeing light scratch's & about 4 tiny impressions(pine holes) in the crystal. I did hit/bump it up under my wooden medicine cabinet one day using my sink. One thing you can do though, I ordered Diamond Lapping Paste > MICRON SIZE(0-1/2 & 2-4 grit), it did a great job by using the 2-4 micron first then polishing it out with the 0-1/2 super fine micron.(Dremel with buffing wheel on the lowest speed possible). >>>(Tape off your Bezel Insert) I'm just way to hard/unlucky while dong anything at home & fishing all day in my boat. I haven't scratched or shattered a Sapphire yet but it's not out of the question for me in the near future.

The color White is the fine & Yellow is the 2-4 microns

Name:  compoundsyringe.jpg
Views: 4734
Size:  2.7 KB
    Last edited by nam6869usmc1; April 8th, 2011 at 13:35.

They are scratch resistant to a good degree, of course it all depends how hard you are on your watches. For normal everyday use you should be fine, they are very durable.

Regards,

Ren

In my experience Hardlex is better than plain ole mineral crystal. I've had a couple of Citizens and 3 Luminox watches with mineral and all were scratched within a week of daily wear. The Seikos I have or have had can take more abuse before scratching but they do scratch. I have 5 Seikos currently and 3 of the 5 currently have small scratches and pin head sized "spots" on them from banging into various objects.

I will admit though, when I wear my watches I WEAR THEM and don't baby them. I've busted 2 sapphire crystals in the past and chipped several mineral crystals but never totally destroyed a mineral crystal like I have a sapphire.

The Hardlex will take most abuse well with only small scratches and "spots" that are really hard to notice unless you angle the crystal in the light. To wrap all this rambling up.......IMO, Hardlex is pretty good stuff!
    Buy the seller! "Trust but Verify" quote- Ronald Reagan....

It is not glass
    and it is not so hard as safir but much better to pro diving (thats why it is on the MM)
    28 years more then 50 patents
    Yoshikazu Akahane

Support - Glossary | SEIKO UK Limited Glass:The glass is the crystal which covers the dial and protects the dial, hands and movement from dust and water. The glass or crystal in some less expensive watches is made of plastic. Mineral glass is strongly scratch resistant, whilst synthetic sapphire glass is virtually unscratchable and also particularly transparent giving sharp clarity to a dial. Hardlex glass:This is a toughened mineral crystal glass developed by Seiko Watch Corporation which is highly resistant to knocks and scratching. Hardlex glasses are standard in all Seiko non-sports models

I see if you pay for their up level(top) models they have Sapphire.
    Seiko Marinemaster SBDX011 Emperor Tuna Diver

Movement: 8L35 Automatic with handwind and hack
    Case: Monocoque Titanium case with ceramic shroud
    Crystal: Sapphire with A/R coating
    Diameter: 52mm without crown
    Thickness: 17mm
    Lug Width: 22mm (all lugs are drilled)
    Lug-to-Lug: 43mm (lugs are hidden under the shroud)
    Weight: 140g
    Last edited by nam6869usmc1; April 8th, 2011 at 21:49.

My Tuna is scratched but its domed crystal was no doubt the culprit there - the scratch is right at the apex. My flat-faced Hardlexes have so far dodged every bullet.

Thing is, a teensy dab of toothpaste (or many other products containing fine polishing compound) and two minutes' attention with a Q-tip can deal with scratches in this material, it's easier than changing a strap. Unless you need your watch to remain immaculate, Hardlex is fine. If you DO require an immaculate watch, I'd be looking at a bigger issue - the CASE. For that, you may be profitably steered towards the likes of Rado, and some German tegimented models which are ultimately the hardest-wearing watches out there.

With Hardlex you should be ok for day to day wear - theres no marks on my Black Monsters Hardlex (yet).

cheers.
    Breitling Super Avenger
    Breitling SuperOcean
    Bremont MBII
    Bremont ALT1-P
    Casio G-Shock Aviator GW-3000B
    Omega Seamaster 2541.80
    Seiko Black Monster
    Seiko SKX007
    Suunto Core "All Black"
    Suunto Core Alpine Edition
    Suunto Vector
    Tissot Sea-Touch.

"When the weight of the paper equals the weight of the airplane, only then you can go flying."

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto Pete View Post
    Thing is, a teensy dab of toothpaste (or many other products containing fine polishing compound) and two minutes' attention with a Q-tip can deal with scratches in this material, it's easier than changing a strap. Unless you need your watch to remain immaculate, Hardlex is fine.
    I believe the Toothpaste trick only works on Acrylic crystals, but I've been wrong before.

Kind Regards,
    Nick
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

Sorry my mistake
    was told it wasen't glass and it did'ent break like it and thats was why Seiko used it in there
    pro divers??
    28 years more then 50 patents
    Yoshikazu Akahane

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information