Hardlex vs Sapphire
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Hardlex vs Sapphire

-->
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Hardlex vs Sapphire

I've recently become interested in some of the Seiko mid to high range divers and noticed something. The Seiko divers that use a sapphire crystal cost thousands. Even the MM300 at $2400 USD uses Hardlex. I don't see sapphire until I get up into the 600m or 1000m divers.

I have a Seiko JDM SARB021 that sports a sapphire crystal that cost $450.

What exactly is Hardlex? Does it have a benefit over Sapphire?
    dhagard likes this.
    Seiko SARB0021 - Seiko SKX007K - G-Shock GW-5600J-1 - Steinhart Ocean GMT

lvt

Re: Hardlex vs Sapphire

AFAIK Hardlex has better shock-resistance than sapphire but can be easily scratched.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Hardlex is hardened mineral glass. The plus is that it is less prone to shatter, the negative is it is more prone to scratching. I have changed a couple of my Seiko divers from hardlex to sapphire. I have never shattered a sapphire crystal, but I have scratched a hardlex one. Get the watch you want, and if you want scratch resistance, replace the crystal with sapphire.

Ironically, the sub-$400 Sporturas come equipped with sapphire crystals, and the SNDA59/63 Velatura (a massive quartz diver chronograph) also has one.

Hardlex is also less reflective than sapphire. Personally I don't like sapphire unless its got an AR coating on it.

I like an AR coating on the inside. Putting an easily scratched coating on the outside of a nearly scratch proof crystal makes no sense to me.

I'm with you. I have harlex watches with scratches - never scratched or broke a sapphire.

Even a sapphire without AR is better than an scratched hardlex in my opinion.

I think that if you shatter a watch glass, you did something --or something happened to you-- that was going to break it no matter what. Just unfortunate, unpredictable accidents. I don't think there's any REAL prevention or protection from that.
    _Anth
    _Casio-Edifice EFA-124 worldtime _Citizen NY2300 Pepsi _DeepBlue All-Purpose 1k

_Seiko SNDA67 chrono _Seiko SKX779 _Seiko SKX007.2 mod _Seiko SNZG15 military 5
    _Seiko SKXPMMM.2 mod _Seiko 6309-7040
    (Dec. 80 rfrb/mod)
    _Seiko 7002-7000 (Jul. 91 rfrb/mod)
    _Seiko SRP227
    StainlessShroud _Seiko5 SNXS79 _Seiko SCC031 Solar Pepsi _Seiko SNKL45

Thanks for the help guys. I really love the Seiko designs, I just have a hard time dropping thousands on a watch that doesn't have a sapphire crystal (unless its a Speedy Pro). I do wear the SKX007 and so far no scratches, but it doesn't get any abuse. I guess if I did by a more expensive Seiko, It wouldn't be a beater anyway, so maybe Hardlex is ok. Hardlex is a dumb name though.
    Seiko SARB0021 - Seiko SKX007K - G-Shock GW-5600J-1 - Steinhart Ocean GMT

Quote Originally Posted by timetellinnoob View Post
    I think that if you shatter a watch glass, you did something --or something happened to you-- that was going to break it no matter what. Just unfortunate, unpredictable accidents. I don't think there's any REAL prevention or protection from that.
    Agreed. And if you hit something hard enough to shatter the sapphire, but not the hardlex - I am betting the hardlex ain't too pretty afterward.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information