WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Help me love the "Turtle"

10K views 66 replies 41 participants last post by  Ard 
#1 ·
Someone started one of these on my beloved Sumo, so I am now starting one on the "Turtle" -

Help me love the Turtle. :)

I don't care, new or old. I get the heritage in it. I get the idea behind the original case and design vs the more modern case designs like on the SKX, Sumo and others. I get (and actually like and appreciate) the better features of the newer SRP Turtles - hand winding, hacking, better movement, etc. I like it's slightly larger size than the SKX........

I HATE the Prospex "X" on the dial. :(

I really don't like the look of the "shape" of their cases head on. :(

So again, why is it I can't like the Turtles, any of them old or new, given I get all these things about them that they bring to the table? WHAT am I missing about them???

Help -:) LOL

Thanks -

Eric :)

See less See more
#44 ·
Another vote for on a strap. Rather than collect watches, I'm collecting straps. This one is a Tech Swiss brown leather, I have a Strapcode super jubilee on the way, I bought the Seiko rubber for the 777 (Very comfy) and I have a couple of NATO's. Also planning hands, ceramic bezel insert and domed sapphire crystal mods.

(Apologies! Cannot use previously uploaded pics on Samsung tablet for some reason)

#46 ·
So I took my son and went to the mall to look at the SRP Turtle again. This time I wore my Sumo so I could get a better idea of the size difference between the two (I had my G-Shock on when I originally looked at them).

Needless to say they (the Sumo and the SRP Turtle) are a lot closer in size than I thought from the pictures I'd seen online, and a LOT closer in size than to the Sumo than the SKX models, which I originally were trying to gauge them by -

SRP Turtle vs my Sumo -

Needless to say after playing with the SRP Turtle a second time I kind of feel a little better about it, now also realizing it's bigger than the SKX's (which I've always felt were a little small on me, especially on rubber strap) I think the SRP might actually be a better fit for me?

I don't know, I'm going to at least think about it for a while (while hoping the SRP Turtle market and prices continue to drop :)) I kind of want to do a pseudo version of a 6105 "Apocalypse". I had planed on using SKX's for it that I bought used, but I am thinking now I may be better off using SRP Turtles, plus I had another "military dial" style (like the Marathon Tsar style) I was planning on out of the second SKX base I had thight might also fit me better if a SRP Turtle was used also?

I'm going to think about it for a while and maybe try and pick up a cheap used SRP007 and play with it. If I can make it work like a want I can always sell the two SKX007s as is. Besides I'm not too keen on how the SKX007 feels on a rubber strap also. :(

Thanks -

#48 ·
If you feel that the SKX is a little small and you like your Sumo, the Turtle is a perfect mix between the two.

Instagram - Dec1968watches
That's what I'm thinking/feeling, and before I go jumping in customizing either one, I want to be sure first. :(

I'm going to pick up a used / cheap SRP777 Turtle as soon as I can, play with it on a rubber strap for a while and then go from there with my custom plans. I figure I can move either the two SKXs or the SRP Turtle prettty easy once I decide. Time is on my side for once in my life. :)

Thanks -

#50 ·
Based solely on the title of this thread I can tell you what always worked for me. Get cleaned up - go to town - and get him some mud. Getting mud for my Turtle always made me appreciate the turtle more and I believe the turtle was happier too.

Just so this post is not viewed as a smart remark.............

#51 ·
I fell out of "love" with the turtle a while ago.

I still have 4 but will sell off at some point. There really was a mania effect with these imo and yes I got caught up in it too.

The case is comfortable but the brushing effect is borderline crappy and lacks and finesse.

All 4 copies of mine are variable in terms of bezel click sound and feel and ultimately the fact it is a cheap watch comes through.

The fact that so many people "mod" their Turtles I feel betrays a dissatisfaction with the watch in reality. It's awesome for the aftermarket manufacturers who have an audience for their products but I am happy to say that's not my scene.

I like my watches as original as possible (probably a leftover from my Rolex days) and find the Turtle and its modding scene to be a bit of a turn off.

#55 ·
Well I hope you guys are happy :) -

I don't know if I'd like it "love" yet or not, so I decided to take chance once I found them on Amazon at a more than reasonable price. With Amazon's incredible return policy, I figured what did I have to loose if I did not like it after playing with it for a few days?

Needless to say now having one home where I can actually play with it and wear it for a couple of hours, I DO feel better about it now than I did before. :)

Plus being able to have it here with both my Sumo and my 007, it's a lot easier to go back and forth seeing how each one of them feels.

I DO like the SRP Turtle's larger size, or at least the "feel" of it compared to my 007 and 40mm sized watches (just like my beater watch is larger than a 40mm also) and I think it may be (the SRP Turtle) just about the perfect balance of size for me.

I get it now (see, I told you there was something in this I was afraid I might be missing :) :) :) ) how everyone says the case is very comfortable. :) The strap that came with it is a little narrower than I'd prefer, but is VERY comfortable and soft. I put it on a spare cheap rubber strap I had one of my el cheapo divers on, and it is still very comfortable, soft and definitely LIGHTER to wear than either my Sumo or my everyday G-Shock I wear to work everyday (shop environment).

It also has a LOT more of the "tool" watch end of it like my G-Shocks do than a either a normal 40mm watch or my 007 does, and I think I just feel the slightly larger size of it fits me better than the 40mm and smaller watches do also.

I'm still not 100% sold on it and I don't feel it's a dressy as my Sumo is, but I do like it better as a "weekend" watch than I do either my Sumo or my G-shock I wear everyday also. :) :) :)

Thanks to all who replied, I really appreciate the input. :)

Eric

#58 · (Edited)
I've got to admit, the SRP777 on a rubber strap is probably one of the most comfortable watches I've ever worn. For it's size there is next to no weight to it. :)

I am also very used to wearing either a larger current G-Shock Mudman every day for work (industrial automotive environment) or something heavier like my Sumo when I go out to dinner or what not on the weekends, so it is partially that also, but the Turtle just seems like next to nothing on that soft rubber strap. :) :) :)

I becoming happier and happier that I did this, thank you again to all who contributed. :)

Now all I have to decide is between this and the 007 which on I want to mod a little bit? I DEFINITELY have to change out the Turtle's second hand, as in it's factory silver color it's next to impossible to pick up quickly when looking at it. :(

I also want to do a green "Kermit" bezel insert on one of the two, but with a stainless oyster band on whichever of the two I decide to do it with also? I think I may have to order a oyster style bracelet for both of them and then decide which of the two I like on it better and then go from there. I already know right now between the two I like the Turtle on the aftermarket rubber strap a LOT better than I do the 007 - it just seems more appropriate for the "look" on my larger wrist?

SRP777 Turtle -

SKX007 -

#63 ·
I also have to admit, the big "X" is bothering me a lot LESS than I feared it would. :)

It's still nowhere near as cool looking as the script on the face of my Sumo (see my sig pic :)) but it's not as big and OUT there as I was afraid it would be.

I think the case's shape is too distracting from it for me - as it's so large compared to most watches this size it almost seems square to a certain extent.

I'm digging this thing a LOT more than I though I would, best $300 I've spent in a while for sure. :) :) :)

#64 ·
I have an 007 which I really like. I wanted another diver and I did not like the "X" or the cushion case. I thought it looked too big. I have a 7" wrist. To make sure for myself, I ordered one via amazon prime (free shipping and return). I put it on and loved it. I wear it more than my SKX. Not really sure why. It really looks good on the wrist and the cushion case makes the dial look a bit smaller and less tall. I like the hacking and winding as well. Drilled lugs are a big plus as well.

#65 ·
I'm pretty much the same case / did the same thing. :)

I had an 007, felt it was too small, sold it, got a Sumo, love it. :) Decided I wanted a custom dive watch with a green "kermit" bezel insert, bought another 007 w/ the intention of customizing it. Kept hearing and reading more and more about the new SRP Turtles after I got the 007, knew the 007 still felt small on me. :(

Went and looked at the PADI Turtle locally, could not make up my mind if I liked it or not? :( Found a 777 Turtle on Amazon for less than $300 shipped, figured like you did "what the hell?"...... As soon as I put it on I "got it" and all I was contemplating. :) :) :)

Now have my 007 for sale and plan on slightly customizing this 777 Turtle and want to get a second one to put a military field style dial on and change the hands on too.

Regardless, I have now found out I like watches about the 007's size. It and the standard 40mm watches are just too small for my tastes. As you said once I weighed in the features the SRP Turtles have the 007's dont - hacking, winding, drilled lugs, etc., it just has too many features that make it a better watch to me between the two. If I'm going to sink my money into a watch or two dressing them up the way I want, I'd rather it be a better overall watch that brings more to the table than less.

:)

#66 ·
I've kept my 007 on a miltat super oyster and use it as a medium level dress watch. It is a great combo. I hated trying to take that bracelet on and off to mount a rubber strap or a NATO. With the turtle's drilled lugs, it is much easier to get my fix of rubber and NATO straps as the mood strikes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.