WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Help me love the "Turtle"

10K views 66 replies 41 participants last post by  Ard 
#1 ·
Someone started one of these on my beloved Sumo, so I am now starting one on the "Turtle" -

Help me love the Turtle. :)

I don't care, new or old. I get the heritage in it. I get the idea behind the original case and design vs the more modern case designs like on the SKX, Sumo and others. I get (and actually like and appreciate) the better features of the newer SRP Turtles - hand winding, hacking, better movement, etc. I like it's slightly larger size than the SKX........

I HATE the Prospex "X" on the dial. :(

I really don't like the look of the "shape" of their cases head on. :(

So again, why is it I can't like the Turtles, any of them old or new, given I get all these things about them that they bring to the table? WHAT am I missing about them???

Help -:) LOL

Thanks -

Eric :)

See less See more
#9 ·
I guess what I really more so meant / was trying to say is "am I missing something that this thing is so poplar and so many love it so much??".

I just want make sure I'm not missing something big here in all of this is all.

#4 ·
You don't have to like them. I think the markers make them look toyish (perhaps the glossy finish of the lume), and I don't like the case shape either. I much prefer the SKX. The SKX dial has a more utilitarian look that echoes the original 6309 more than the SRPs do. Put a 4R36 into an SKX and the turtles don't have that much on it.

#5 ·
I modded the heck out of a Turtle because I also do not like the 'X' and I'm not all that hot on traditional dive watch indices in general. But I really like the shape, size, movement and overall robust build of the thing. Some people just dig the case shape and how it harkens back to the vintage diver models. If it ain't your thing, it just ain't.

#7 ·
Someone posted a review of the SRP775 that captured my thoughts on this really well. The Turtles do not photograph well head on, the shape looks really awkward. However, with a slight angle (ie how you'd be seeing it in real-life wear) you really appreciate the different curves, finishes, and the overall shape of the design. It's very rare (especially on the stock rubber) that I look down at my SRP779 and it doesn't put a smile on my face.

Reactions: SteveJ
#10 ·
Someone posted a review of the SRP775 that captured my thoughts on this really well. The Turtles do not photograph well head on, the shape looks really awkward. However, with a slight angle (ie how you'd be seeing it in real

I actually did just that, I went and looked at the new SRP at the mall in person. I did not have my Sumo on me at the time, but they DID have an 007 in the case so I could compare the two.

I don't know what it is, I think I may be "too much Sumo" I'm comparing it too is part of my problem, but again I DO like it's mechanical features (the SRP Turtle) compared to the 007, not to mention it's size.

That big friggin' "X" is part of what's killing me too :(, maybe if someone made a decent 6105 repro dial or if just went with an older 6109 on a rubber strap I'd could live with it?

I'm a fan of the "dots" vs the "squares" (6109/SRP/007 vs 6105), so again I could live with the SRP dial, but not with that damned "X" on it I can't. :mad:

Thanks -

#12 ·
It's just not for you dude simple as that. You don't have to force yourself. I love the turtle, the case back shape, the X on the dial, everything! I just love it. I love the skx too but I prefer the vintage look of the turtle and its history simple as that.

Sent from my ASUS_Z012D using Tapatalk

#14 ·
It's just not for you dude simple as that. You don't have to force yourself. I love the turtle, the case back shape, the X on the dial, everything! I just love it. I love the skx too but I prefer the vintage look of the turtle and its history simple as that.

I'm a big fan of heritage and history also w/ most things. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something in big in all of this is all too.

Thanks -

#20 ·
I prefer my skx's over my srp turtle.

I like my turtle ok. The turtle is right at my size and weight limit (on a bracelet).

There are other Seiko auto divers I would rather own, but

Sumo - too big
Shogun - too big
mm300 - maybe (probably) too big (or too thick and too heavy on a bracelet)

#21 ·
A lot of the draw of these is heritage and utility (plus the variety of color and mod options). It's just a simple, robust watch that given it's place in Seiko lore drew a lot of attention upon its release. Not everyone loves the case, but for those that do it's an awesome piece.

#22 ·
So you saw it on here and read peoples opinions on it and you had no desire for it? You also saw it in person and it did nothing for you? I think the logical answer is you just do not like this watch. Not really sure what you thought this thread would do differently for you. :roll:

#29 ·
So again, I just wanted to make sure "I" was not missing something in all the talk and hype, especially since it was not doing anything for me in particular.

Also being new to the Seiko line until the past year or so, being nowhere NEAR being an expert on them or many details about them, I also wanted to make sure it was not a case of something I had not informed myself on either.

That's all, as simple as that.

#26 ·
I like the shape, the new movement, the size but can't look pass the double coin edge bezel. I did not like how thick it look on my skx009 also. If Seiko make the bezel thinner, may be beveled a little more or better yet sinked in to a thicker case like the Sumo. I would buy at least two in Different colors.

#27 · (Edited)
I get what you are saying about "not getting" something. When I first got on WUS, I read the praises of the Orange Monster, or monster in general, and I thought ugghhh, why would I even want that. Then one day and I can't put my finger on what it was exactly, but "I got it" and I had to have an Orange Monster. I had already had a skx007 on a strapcode oyster and considered it my "dressy" diver and the OM as my fun toolish diver. Now I had always wondered about the sumo, but always thought it would be to big for my 6.75in wrist. Then along came the Turtle. I got the 777 on the silicon and have since put it on a borealis ISO. Comparing it to my skx, it was larger and more toolish which I liked, but the lug to lug kept looking fine on my wrist and it didn't wear much larger than the skx (https://www.watchuseek.com/f21/how-new-turtle-3640090-4.html#post34249042). I realized that for me i was correct the sumo would have been to large due to the lug to lug. It was soon evident the OM and skx007 would not be getting the wrist time, so I sold both. So now I had a true in my mind tool diver for sporty casual that felt and looked timeless and vintage and rugged. So that is why I like it vs say my om and skx. In regard to the sumo which you seem to really like. To me it is more of a dressier diver and it is to large for my wrist, and the bezel font is something you either love or hate. So i'm not sure if when you are "comparing" watches even though they are all divers, to me seem very different.

#30 ·
I get what you are saying about "not getting" something. When I first got on WUS, I read the praises of the Orange Monster, or monster in general, and I thought ugghhh, why would I even want that. Then one day and I can't put my finger on what it was exactly, but "I got it" and I had to have an Orange Monster. I had already had a skx007 on a strapcode oyster and considered it my "dressy" diver and the OM as my fun toolish diver. Now I had always wondered about the sumo, but always thought it would be to big for my 6.75in wrist. Then along came the Turtle. I got the 777 on the silicon and have since put it on a borealis ISO. Comparing it to my skx, it was larger and more toolish which I liked, but the lug to lug kept looking fine on my wrist and it didn't wear much larger than the skx (https://www.watchuseek.com/f21/how ..." dial. May have to try it and see? Thanks -

#28 ·
if OP wants to make sure he 'doesn't miss anything' he should just get one =)

seriously the X hate is overblown, it's tiny, there's a whole watch here to enjoy around that 'hideous' logo haha. if the case shape isn't good enough either, there's not much we can do to convince. it doesn't feel like it should be an acquired taste, it feels like a revamp of the previous generation the SKX was borne out of.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

#31 · (Edited)
Re: Help me love the "Turtle"

You need to be a fan and love Seiko to be able to wear a turtle, monsters, skx, sumo, etc. Regardless of the size. You pick what suits you. Otherwise, it's not really for you. I can wear them all with pride. I'm happy when I see people everywhere wearing collectible watches like turtle. I see myself in them knowing we both like the model and we share the same passion. Hope that make sense.

#32 ·
I have had my SKX009 for years now, and just recently picked up a monster. I am not totally into liking the monster yet, but I want to pick up a Turtle to add to my small seiko collection. If I did not already have the SKX009, I would get a PADI turtle. I am leaning towards the SRP777.

#33 · (Edited)
why do we have to talk ourselves into liking anything?? I'm sure outside of divers I haaaate 90 some percent of the watches seiko makes

the X hate is kinda silly (imho) anyone besides you that can make the "X" out is either a reeeaally good friend who is quite close to you or a pervert...

luckily for me I'm pretty big, because I personally think Seiko ****ed the SRP Turtles up, by increasing the case size vs ye' olden 6309's .. In my case I can live with my SRP777 since I have 8" wrists but there was simply no reason to make the SRP turtles bigger than the 6309..back in the day it was a huge watch and even today it would be a big watch..

meh.. whatever... queue the hordes of 6.5" inch wrist guys that think I'm crazy for thinking the SRP turtles are too big... they are Seiko took what would have been "fantastic" and made it "ok" by bumping the size..

if seiko could also get their watch building robots to align the god dang chapter rings and bezel inserts also that would be super..

I was super hyped when these came out and bought one on impulse ..if I had waited and thought it over I probably wouldn't have, the SKX is a better size and design... I'm keeping mine because I'm big enough to pull it off and because I'd take quite a loss if I sold it.. but I wear my SKX much more..

I mean.. look at this thing.. I've seen actual turtles smaller than this watch.. I mean they were baby turtles..but still

Cat Felidae Small to medium-sized cats Wrist Whiskers

#34 ·
It's not something describable, it's more of the feeling you have when you wear it. I borrowed one of my friend's SRP777's a few months ago, and I've been lusting after Turtles ever since. I am going to be purchasing the Blue Lagoon and PADI as soon as possible, and I've had to sell two of my rather neglected pieces (a Junghans Meister, a watch I never wore because I never wear dress watches and I'd rather have a SARB003 or one of the new Cocktails from Seiko instead since they are still versatile, and a Citizen Nighthawk, a watch I really enjoyed but rarely wore) in order to not bite into my savings fund for a Ceramic Submariner ND. The Turtle range is also very diverse, and it's hard to resist temptations to not go and buy them all, especially when I know the only two I'd ever wear are the Blue Lagoon and PADI.

I'd try one on first, as I wasn't a huge fan until I tried one myself, but now I'm hooked.

#37 ·
This is my Sumo, so as you can see the SRP Turtle or other being to be is a non-issue for me.

I almost find the 007 too small for my taste, but given the availability of customization parts and options, I can make it work to get the watch the way I want it.

I'm really leaning towards an SRP777 as my "rubber strap" diver. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.