How do Customs Duty Taxes computed for watches?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By OnTimeGabe
  • 1 Post By OnTimeGabe

Thread: How do Customs Duty Taxes computed for watches?

Exclamation How do Customs Duty Taxes computed for watches?

If you buy a watch from Japan via ebay and have it shipped in USA, how can you compute the amount of customs duty tax you must pay?

Is there an custom tax ruling...like taxes for $2000 and above only?

Is there a difference in customs duty tax if you buy thru Ebay or directly to dealers like Higuchi or Seiya?

Re: How do Customs Duty Taxes computed for watches?

last time I checked it was US$800.00. I bought a watch from Seiya Japan this year, under $300, no duty.
    regards, Dr. Robert

Dive Watches Mod & MaL OnTimeGabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by herbolaryo View Post
    If you buy a watch from Japan via ebay and have it shipped in USA, how can you compute the amount of customs duty tax you must pay?

Is there an custom tax ruling...like taxes for $2000 and above only?

Is there a difference in customs duty tax if you buy thru Ebay or directly to dealers like Higuchi or Seiya?
    It is extremely unlikely that you will ever have any customs charges, since Seiya and Higuchi ship using EMS/USPS. Most eBay sellers ship this way as well. FedEx will get you almost every time, and UPS is pretty bad about also. Just make sure the seller uses EMS, and you'll be fine.

Technically, anything over $200 is subject to customs duties. There's a schedule you can use to calculate the fees somewhere on the US Customs site, but a general rule is 2-3% of declared value plus any brokerage fees. FedEx/UPS will hit you with anywhere from $20-$100 in additional fees on top of the customs charges.
    tophotdog likes this.
    Regards,

Gabe

I ordered from chronograph.com earlier this month using USPS/Singapore Post and I didnt get any customs fees. The watch was 268

Hello O.T.G., Is it different if you don't physically bring it in?Having it shipped vs. bringing it on person. I was in Europe this summer and when I checked US citizens have $800. duty free, next 1000$ 3% flat rate, over $1800. different rates based on what it is.
    regards, Dr. Robert

Dive Watches Mod & MaL OnTimeGabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Robert View Post
    Hello O.T.G., Is it different if you don't physically bring it in?Having it shipped vs. bringing it on person. I was in Europe this summer and when I checked US citizens have $800. duty free, next 1000$ 3% flat rate, over $1800. different rates based on what it is.
    regards, Dr. Robert
    Yes, there is a difference whether you are carrying the item with you. Here are the basic rules:

Your duty-free exemption is $800 if you are a returning U.S. resident and the items you acquired abroad accompany you. This duty-free exemption may include:
    • 100 cigars and 200 cigarettes. (Products of Cuban tobacco may be brought into the United States only if acquired in Cuba.)
    • One liter wine, beer, or liquor if you are at least 21 years old
    The exemption is $ 1,600 if returning from American Samoa, Guam, or the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Articles imported in excess of your exemptions will be subject to duty. If your purchases and acquisitions exceed the allowable duty-free exemption plus $1,000, you must itemize -- in writing -- these purchases/acquisitions on the back of the declaration form. Sales slips, invoices, or other evidence of purchase will be helpful when you complete your customs declaration.

If you are visiting the United States, your exemption is $100. Visitors are eligible, however, for the same duty-free exemptions just described regarding cigars, cigarettes, and alcoholic beverages. The prohibition on Cuban tobacco products applies to both visitors and returning U.S. residents.

Mailing Gifts and Purchases From Abroad

Gifts mailed from abroad to people in the United States can be received by them free of duty if the value of the entire gift package does not exceed $100. Non-gift purchases mailed to the United States will pass duty-free if their value does not exceed $200. The outer wrapping must be marked with the fair retail value of the contents; the contents' identity (e.g., shirt, belts, watch, figurines, etc.); and whether the package is a gift ($100 exemption) or for personal use ($200 exemption).

NOTE: Duty owed on a mailed package must be paid after it arrives in the United States. No matter what a shop owner abroad may tell you, you cannot prepay duty.
    tophotdog likes this.
    Regards,

Gabe

Hello O.T.G., thanks for the info....that's pretty cheap for old Uncle Sam! Luckily watches I've bought from Japan & Singapore came mail rather than UPS/Fedex, no fees...hopefully it'll continue!
    regards, Dr. Robert

Lucky you all

in my country, Indonesia

custom tax for any kind of watch , within any kind of price range

is 40 %

so if I want to buy watch from ebay, lets say, I consider the price as 150% from the price

I bought my sumo from Higuchi and paid 150% of the Higuchi Price

Thread Information