Watchuseek, The Most Visited Watch Forum Site ... In The World.

How does Automatic work in a Seiko?

Thread: How does Automatic work in a Seiko?

Tags: None
  1. Kwak said:

    Thumbs Up How does Automatic work in a Seiko?

    Hello,

    How exactly does a Seiko automatic watch work? Is there a battery? If so, what is the estimated battery life?

    But if not, is Automatic powered by motion movement?
    Thanks in advance.


    BTW, automatic is so cooool.
     
  2. Heat's Avatar

    Heat said:

    Re: How does Automatic work in a Seiko?

    No, there Is no battery in a ordinary Automatic watch. What you refers to Is called Kinetic and those watches uses a battery to store the energy from the rotor.
    You`re interested in stopwatches? Please visit
    http://stopwatches.forum24.se


     
  3. N_Jay said:

    Re: How does Automatic work in a Seiko?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak
    Hello,

    How exactly does a Seiko automatic watch work? Is there a battery? If so, what is the estimated battery life?

    But if not, is Automatic powered by motion movement?
    Thanks in advance.


    BTW, automatic is so cooool.
    The old name "self-winding" is more descriptive.
     
  4. kjw's Avatar

    kjw said:

    Re: How does Automatic work in a Seiko?

    Quote Originally Posted by Heat
    No, there Is no battery in a ordinary Automatic watch. What you refers to Is called Kinetic and those watches uses a battery to store the energy from the rotor.
    How long will the battery on the Kinetic store energy and keep the watch running if it is not worn? Thanks, Ken
     
  5. Isthmus's Avatar

    Isthmus said:

    Re: How does Automatic work in a Seiko?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak
    Hello,

    How exactly does a Seiko automatic watch work? Is there a battery? If so, what is the estimated battery life?

    But if not, is Automatic powered by motion movement?
    Thanks in advance.


    BTW, automatic is so cooool.
    As was mentioned earlier, you are you are touching on two different technologies. An automatic watch is essentially a mechanical watch that uses a weighted rotor to wind the watch as it is on your aram. The natural motion of your arm causes the rotor to turn, which in turn winds the mainspring.

    Kinetic on the other hand is a battery powered quartz movement which, by way of the natral motion of your arm, uses a weighted rotor attached to an elctricity generating device to generate a small electrical charge, which is stored in a long lived rechargeable battery. The idea being that you get a quartz watch with a very very long lived battery. I've heard estimates of about 10 years on some new kinetics, but my guess is that battery life might be a bit shorter.

    Citizen uses a similar concept to seiko's kinetic, only that instead of using motion to generate electricity, they use light. Some people argue that the citizen system is superiro, because if you leave your seiko unworn for several months, it will eventually run out of battery power. An eco-drive powered watch can be left unworn, so long as it is exposed to light, it will continue to keep the battery charged.

    I hope that answered your question.
     
  6. Kwak said:

    Re: How does Automatic work in a Seiko?

    Indeed it has, I appreciate all the responses.
     
  7. robbie409's Avatar

    robbie409 said:

    Re: How does Automatic work in a Seiko?


    I change the location of this picture sometimes (new release of my website) so if you like it, save it.
    It can always be found on www.monsterwatches.nl > Seiko monsters > Kinetic.
    Monsters rule
     
  8. Knight Watchman's Avatar

    Knight Watchman said:

    Re: How does Automatic work in a Seiko?

    The first generation used a capacitor instead of a rechargable battery to hold a charge, but they deteriorated rather quickly and stopped holding a charge in only a few years. The battery was a "fix" to this problem.
    "Take that quartz toy off of your wrist son, and strap on a real watch!"
     
  9. dumbass said:

    Re: How does Automatic work in a Seiko?

    Don't forget that besides automatic, kinetic, Seiko also has the Springdrive!
     
  10. Kwak said:

    Question Re: How does Automatic work in a Seiko?

    Thanks for the help and info.
    The Kinetic diagram was insightful.


    How long is the life of a Seiko automatic watch?
     

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2