Thread: How long does the lume last in storage?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How long does the lume last in storage?

So I have now acquired quite a collection of watches as backups (read: collect for the future).
    All in original boxes.
    For each one of these, I have a version that I actual wear. I know, very WIS like...

Does anyone know if these watches are stored in total darkness, will the lume degrade even if it doesnt see light?
    I hope the answer is that it lasts if not used, but if that isnt the case, anyone have any suggestions?

Dive Watches Mod & MaL OnTimeGabe's Avatar

Re: How long does the lume last in storage?

Modern lume (Lumibrite, Super Luminova) will only degrade if it's exposed to UV light or moisture. The lume on your watches in storage should last indefinitely.
    Regards,

Gabe

Thanks for the reply!
    Thats great news.

3+7

Wouldn't it be possible to give the crystal an uv filter like treatment, thus making the lume last longer without getting old? No idea on how well this works or will cost though. Might not be worth the effort.

Dive Watches Mod & MaL OnTimeGabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 3+7 View Post
    Wouldn't it be possible to give the crystal an uv filter like treatment, thus making the lume last longer without getting old? No idea on how well this works or will cost though. Might not be worth the effort.
    That would be a bad idea, since it's the UV component in light that charges the lume and makes it glow. That's why you get a quicker and more intense glow from a UV torch than a regular tungsten bulb. So you need the UV when wearing the watch, but when it's in storage, a dark place will keep the luminescent compounds from becoming active. One thing to keep in mind is that the degradation is very slow. One study of SuperLuminova showed a 20% loss in intensity after more than 1000 hours of constant heavy UV light. So even if you live in a sunny place and you're outside all day, it would take a quite a long while before any noticable reduction in brightness.
    Regards,

Gabe

Quote Originally Posted by OnTimeGabe View Post
    That would be a bad idea, since it's the UV component in light that charges the lume and makes it glow. That's why you get a quicker and more intense glow from a UV torch than a regular tungsten bulb. So you need the UV when wearing the watch, but when it's in storage, a dark place will keep the luminescent compounds from becoming active. One thing to keep in mind is that the degradation is very slow. One study of SuperLuminova showed a 20% loss in intensity after more than 1000 hours of constant heavy UV light. So even if you live in a sunny place and you're outside all day, it would take a quite a long while before any noticable reduction in brightness.
    very interesting! thanks

Gabe, I have a few watches including a monster from '04 and an Omega SMP that have noticeable degrading in the lume.

But I am very glad that storing them doesnt degrade the lume.

3+7

Aah! Sounds very resonable. Thanks for the good response.

ElG

Thanks for this info. I would like to know Seiko owner' experience on the Lumibrite degradation? How old Seikos do you have and how you feel about yours lume intensity. How is the intensity of lume after 5, 10, ...years?

Quote Originally Posted by ElG View Post
    Thanks for this info. I would like to know Seiko owner' experience on the Lumibrite degradation? How old Seikos do you have and how you feel about yours lume intensity. How is the intensity of lume after 5, 10, ...years?
    my monster is the oldest watch i have which has its original lume. it is my entry watch to Seiko collection. I had it for say slightly more than 5 years. the lume is generally the same since day 1 (from my naked eye point of view).

My grandpa tuna does not count as I had relumed it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information