Thread: How long for fully charging a Seiko Kinetic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How long for fully charging a Seiko Kinetic

Hi,

I recently bought a near NOS Seiko Kinetic 5M62 from a forum fellow. When it arrived, it was ticking in 2 seconds intervals. So I swung it several times and after two minutes the interval was 1 sec. I now wear the watch for more than 48 hours, just setting it aside by night. Over night, the watch keeps going normally.

When I check the charge, the second hand always moves 5 secs. According to the power chart http://seiko-kinetic-watches.watch-u...powerchart.jpg I've got energy for 1 to 7 day.

How long does it take for charging up until the maximum ? Or should I place a new capacitor as this one might be too uncharged (previous owner did not use the watch very frequently).

Thanks, pat

Re: How long for fully charging a Seiko Kinetic

Ok, RTFM:

"Wearing the watch continuously for 12 hours will accumulate approximately one
    additional day of power reserve.
    If you wear the watch every day for 12 hours a day over a month, for example,
    approximately one month of power reserve will be secured in the KINETIC E.S.U."

Can anybody confirm this ?
    Last edited by pekanut; March 15th, 2010 at 13:43.

I have a SUN007 seiko kinetic and have never gotten it to go above the 5 second mark, HOWEVER, I have never worn it more than once a week or so. If you search the forums there are alot of posts regarding kinetic charging, and alot of people who have never fully charged their watches due to them not being everyday wears.

Quote Originally Posted by pekanut View Post
    Hi,

I recently bought a near NOS Seiko Kinetic 5M62 from a forum fellow. When it arrived, it was ticking in 2 seconds intervals. So I swung it several times and after two minutes the interval was 1 sec. I now wear the watch for more than 48 hours, just setting it aside by night. Over night, the watch keeps going normally.

When I check the charge, the second hand always moves 5 secs. According to the power chart http://seiko-kinetic-watches.watch-u...powerchart.jpg I've got energy for 1 to 7 day.

How long does it take for charging up until the maximum ? Or should I place a new capacitor as this one might be too uncharged (previous owner did not use the watch very frequently).

Thanks, pat
    It takes a LOT of charging (since the new rechargeable battery is a LOT bigger than the capacitor which was used in the first generations by both Seiko and ETA).

My feeling is that every 12-18 hours of effective wear (meaning not so much sleeping with it on your hand, but actually moving with it) provide like 7 days of battery - and if you wear it daily in about 2 weeks you might get to a full charge !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Catalin View Post
    It takes a LOT of charging (since the new rechargeable battery is a LOT bigger than the capacitor which was used in the first generations by both Seiko and ETA).

My feeling is that every 12-18 hours of effective wear (meaning not so much sleeping with it on your hand, but actually moving with it) provide like 7 days of battery - and if you wear it daily in about 2 weeks you might get to a full charge !!!
    Yesterday, I charged the watch 'manually', i.e. while eating, watching television, etc. I took it off the wrist and shook it as shown in the manual.

After about 5 min, the charging was 10 seconds, but it did not last long: 5 min. later, it was back at 5 sec. So I continued, shaking it all in all for 20 minutes (2 minutes here and there).

Before going to sleep it was at 10 seconds. And this morning, it was still at 10 seconds ! I will continue 2 days, then I assume having a fully charged capacitor.

Just note that doing the charge test does drain the charge a bit, so shaking the watch and then pressing the button is like taking two steps forward and one step back.

I have two kinetics and enjoy them both. I'm also a runner, so I take each on a jog once every couple of weeks. A four mile jog will add 1/3 (20 seconds) to the charge.

I think the Kinetic technology is a secret Seiko plot to help get people back into shape!

I noticed that charging goes quite fast : I am now at 20 seconds. During the last 24 hours, I just did normal things with the watch worn (no running, jumping, shaking). And there it went from 10 to 20 seconds.
    Last edited by pekanut; March 19th, 2010 at 08:15.

my 5m63 charged fully within 3 days of normal everyday movements,and i have been using for sports activities(running,swimming) for 5 hours total per week and has stayed fully charged ever since,same story with two friends' seikos so i guess that would be enough

Are Seiko Kinetics fully charged when shipped form the company ? And how do dealers stock it for long periods, without fully draining the battery ?

I am looking for SKA469P1. Like everything about it, but am worried about it being a kinetic (and I have other watches as well) . Maybe I can wear it continously for few months, after which I can wear it after few days.....
    Casio EF-106
    Citizen Calendrier BU0003-02P
    Casio DW-9052
    Orient ER1H001Q
    Seiko SGEE65
    VSA DM 241174
    TX T3C505

Any thoughts ?
    Casio EF-106
    Citizen Calendrier BU0003-02P
    Casio DW-9052