How much would it cost for a watchmaker to replace a quartz Seiko movement?

Thread: How much would it cost for a watchmaker to replace a quartz Seiko movement?

How much would it cost for a watchmaker to replace a quartz Seiko movement?

7T32, to be exact. I got a movement sourced that should be arriving by the end of the month, but I'm especially curious as to what a watchmaker would charge for this service.

I tried to Google this question, but mostly came up with guides on how to DIY and the fact that it's basic skills for any competent watchmaker. But that's not what I'm looking for.

Watch repair services want $180 and above for a movement replacement, and they can't even guarantee it's new. My brand new Seiko 5 doesn't even cost that much, so I'm not pleased. The one I sourced looks like legit factory stamped Seiko Japan (I'm assuming NOS).

Thanks guys :D

Re: How much would it cost for a watchmaker to replace a quartz Seiko movement?

I can't really answer the question you asked, but I can give you one of my personal experiences. I had a seiko with the 7t32 movement (well, a few actually) but one of them was broken. The main timekeeping hands wouldn't keep good time at all, but the small subdial at 6 o'clock worked just fine. Anyway, I figured I'd send the watch to Seiko's Coserv and just see what it would take to fix it (after all, they mail you a written estimate and if you don't want to pay it they just ship your watch back). I forget exactly what it cost, but they installed a new movement and pressure tested the watch for less than $100.

I don't know how much you paid for the movement that you have incoming, but if it's too expensive you might have just been better off sending it to seiko. Doing it that way will get you a year warranty on the work, too.

As for your original question, a watchmaker will charge what he charges, I'm sad to say. I wouldn't expect it to be too expensive, but to be quite honest, I wouldn't be surprised if you got charged $50 or better. Again, I'd just send it to seiko and see what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by PoweredByRamen View Post
    7T32, to be exact. I got a movement sourced that should be arriving by the end of the month, but I'm especially curious as to what a watchmaker would charge for this service.

I tried to Google this question, but mostly came up with guides on how to DIY and the fact that it's basic skills for any competent watchmaker. But that's not what I'm looking for.

Watch repair services want $180 and above for a movement replacement, and they can't even guarantee it's new. My brand new Seiko 5 doesn't even cost that much, so I'm not pleased. The one I sourced looks like legit factory stamped Seiko Japan (I'm assuming NOS).

Thanks guys :D

Thanks for the response! Unfortunately, I called Seiko and asked them about it already. They told me they don't have the parts anymore and recommended me to a third party repair service for it. I sent it to them, to which they're quoting me that price to replace the movement.

Sourced a movement from Hong Kong for $50. I figure even if a watchmaker is charging another 50, I'm still saving some money to get it fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by PoweredByRamen View Post
    Thanks for the response! Unfortunately, I called Seiko and asked them about it already. They told me they don't have the parts anymore and recommended me to a third party repair service for it. I sent it to them, to which they're quoting me that price to replace the movement.

Sourced a movement from Hong Kong for $50. I figure even if a watchmaker is charging another 50, I'm still saving some money to get it fixed.

$45 installation
    Things are more like they are now than they ever were before.

Thread Information