WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

How much would you pay for a 'pro' SKX?

14K views 91 replies 50 participants last post by  Boone 
#1 · (Edited)
I just got my 007 to add to my collection of black faced divers - and I love it. The design holds its own in terms of looks with my SubC and Pelagos.

What I don't love are the cheap- looking finishing, dial and movement.

I would pay quite a bit more for a version with improvements in all of these areas.

That said, this is a beautiful watch.

See less See more
#52 · (Edited)
I'm over $600 into my "Pro SKX". Sapphire, Tuna style bezel, hacking/handwinding, ceramic bezel, regulation and pressure test, etc.... worth every dime for me as I love how the case wears. Of course SKX upgrades are always in the eye of the beholder. I have another that I will keep stock.

#59 ·
I've owned many of the top tier divers over the past decade including Rolex, Blancpain, IWC, Breitling, and Omega. I shudder to think of the money spent. Along the way I picked up an SKX007 for ****s and giggles. After wearing it for a while I couldn't rationalize tying up thousands in one of those other "high end" watches since for me the Seiko did everything all the others did just as well if not better. For example, I unintentionally wore my IWC Aquatimer while splitting wood. When finished I noticed it wasn't running and I couldn't get it to run. Cost me $400 to get it repaired. I intentionally wore my SKX to do the same chore, more than once and it never skipped a beat. So all those others are gone, cut my losses so to speak and the only mechanical auto I have is the 007, bone stock except for the Strapcode Super Oyster. It gets the bulk of wrist time, spelled occasionally by a couple of G Shocks. I've been wearing it for 6 straight weeks now and it's +5 seconds from where it started. None of the other big boys came anywhere close to that. All this for $140.00 all in including shipping + the cost of bracelet which I can't remember right now but it was less than $100 for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#63 ·
Nice write up. I agree the 007 on a Oster bracelet is just unbeatable and looks so darn good.
Watch Watch accessory Analog watch Wrist Fashion accessory

I've owned many of the top tier divers over the past decade including Rolex, Blancpain, IWC, Breitling, and Omega. I shudder to think of the money spent. Along the way I picked up an SKX007 for ****s and giggles. After wearing it for a while I couldn't rationalize tying up thousands in one of those other "high end" watches since for me the Seiko did everything all the others did just as well if not better. For example, I unintentionally wore my IWC Aquatimer while splitting wood. When finished I noticed it wasn't running and I couldn't get it to run. Cost me $400 to get it repaired. I intentionally wore my SKX to do the same chore, more than once and it never skipped a beat. So all those others are gone, cut my losses so to speak and the only mechanical auto I have is the 007, bone stock except for the Strapcode Super Oyster. It gets the bulk of wrist time, spelled occasionally by a couple of G Shocks. I've been wearing it for 6 straight weeks now and it's +5 seconds from where it started. None of the other big boys came anywhere close to that. All this for $140.00 all in including shipping + the cost of bracelet which I can't remember right now but it was less than $100 for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#60 ·
I have owned SKX's off and on for 25 years (has it been that long?) or so ... I agree, a re-boot would be awesome along the lines of a SRP series for the 6309s. Maybe use the 4r36 hackable movement. Signed crown, drilled lugs, but retain just about everything else - to include face, hands. Maybe a 173 dial version too. I have one of the new SRPs on rubber and love it, but hands down the SKX wears better IMO. I'd love a Marine master but out of my price point.

#68 · (Edited)
In a 'pro' skx the three key things for me would be an upgraded movement, sapphire glass, and a more refined case.

For movement I'd expect hacking and hand winding of course, like a 6r15, but I could settle with 4r36.

With the case I would want the same silhouette with the beautiful crown guards on my 009, but with sharper edges and nicer integration of brushed and polished steel to give it a more "jewel-like" appearance of more pricey watches.

As for the dial, I love the matte and flatness of the design that gives it the unique classic look so I wouldn't change much, if anything.

I could see myself paying double for a 'pro' with those upgrades.

#72 ·
In a 'pro' skx the three key things for me would be an upgraded movement, sapphire glass, and a more refined case.

For movement I'd expect hacking and hand winding of course, like a 6r15, but I could settle with 4r36.

With the case I would want the same silhouette with the beautiful crown guards on my 009, but with sharper edges and nicer integration of brushed and polished steel to give it a more "jewel-like" appearance of more pricey watches.

As for the dial, I love the matte and flatness of the design that gives it the unique classic look so I wouldn't change much, if anything.

I could see myself paying double for a 'pro' with those upgrades.
Bingo.

#71 ·
SRP605 on Helberg strap Fixes the movement, case shape, crown position and price. All it needs is sapphire.
I think the SRP605 is great looking and an excellent value, but it isn't really a diver (not faulting it for that, neither is my SNZH53 which I really like, just pointing it out), and I think it doesn't look that much like an SKX.

What is the lug to lug length on these models? I really like them, but I think they might be too big on me.

#74 ·
Seiko used to make a true "upgrade" to the SKX: the SARB059.

Same case as the 007, but a combo brushed and polished finish, to a higher level than the SKX series. The dial I had was dark green; it looked black, but in sunlight it had a dark green sunburst. There was a black dial version I believe as well. Same 200M rating, same hardex crystal used in the 200M divers, and a 6r15 movement. I bought mine new back in maybe 2011 for about $400 or so from Chino.

Of all the watches I have flipped, this one is my only real regret. I also had a SARB021 and flipped that at the same time. I regret that one too, but not nearly as much as the 059.

The 021 look too much like a GS I guess, so Seiko killed it off and kept the 033, which is a nice watch but does not hold a candle side-by-side with the 021.

The 059 was a true purpose-built watch, in the true spirit of the SARB line. A classic in every way.

I recall reading somewhere that the 059, 021, and 017 were designed by one of Seiko true greats, back in the day, who also designed some other legendary Seiko's.

#77 ·
Seiko used to make a true "upgrade" to the SKX: the SARB059.

Same case as the 007, but a combo brushed and polished finish, to a higher level than the SKX series. The dial I had was dark green; it looked black, but in sunlight it had a dark green sunburst. There was a black dial version I believe as well. Same 200M rating, same hardex crystal used in the 200M divers, and a 6r15 movement. I bought mine new back in maybe 2011 for about $400 or so from Chino.

Of all the watches I have flipped, this one is my only real regret. I also had a SARB021 and flipped that at the same time. I regret that one too, but not nearly as much as the 059.

The 021 look too much like a GS I guess, so Seiko killed it off and kept the 033, which is a nice watch but does not hold a candle side-by-side with the 021.

The 059 was a true purpose-built watch, in the true spirit of the SARB line. A classic in every way.

I recall reading somewhere that the 059, 021, and 017 were designed by one of Seiko true greats, back in the day, who also designed some other legendary Seiko's.
The bezel was way different in that it didn't click...it spun freely. Had Seiko found a way to make that a 120 click bezel I'd have bought one. The SARB061 is the black dial version. Love it in every way except for the bezel spinning freely. Still want one to this day, but won't pay a premium for it since it's discontinued.

Instagram - Dec1968watches

#75 ·
How much would I pay for the upgraded SKX? Tbh, nothing.

Few years back, I was dying for an improved dial, solid bracelet and a better insert.
Since then I did quite of a journey in modding SKX and ended up with 171 dial, sapphire crystal, coin-edge bezel and lumed ceramic insert. Tried many aftermarker bracelets but at the end of the day I like it most on the straps. In divers I do not care much about hacking, hence it is still powered by 7s26.
I am happy with what I have achieved and only case where I would be on the market is the 009/011 improved by sunburst dial.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Wrist

Wrist Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Analog watch

Analog watch Watch Wrist Watch accessory Strap

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Wrist Strap

Analog watch Watch Wrist Watch accessory Strap

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Strap

Green Black Circle Font Technology

#81 ·
Aren't the Marinemaster line considered as "Pro" diving watches?
I think Seiko made their product line exceptionally clear:
WR200m -- *diving watch styled* WR watches(not even diving watches)
Diver's 200m -- *recreational* diving watches(here's where SKX sits)
Diver's 300 ~ 1000m -- *PRO* diving watches(MM300, Tuna, etc.)

Oh do you mean a *PRO* diving watch that looks exactly like an SKX? Probably won't happen. Those *Pro* looks(huge size, shroud, etc.) are there for being a *Pro* in the first place.

Bottom line: you want a Pro? Go get yourself a Pro. End of story...

#83 ·
$500-$600 for an SKXA35 "Bumblebee" with an NH36 and sapphire. I already have the yellow silicon vented dive strap for it. It would need to test out regarding the 200 meter waterproof status.

If they don't come up with an upgraded SKXA35 by Nov./Dec. of this year I'll buy the current SKXA35 and hope I like the 7S26 movement. I think it'll work out. What would I pay for a stock model? $400 even. The MSRP is $475 at seikousa.com.

#84 · (Edited)
I read through all the comments in this thread and I was struck by a common theme; people love the SKX, either stock (perfection in its simplicity and functionality) or as a carcass on which they can mod. And yet people write about how if only Seiko did this, or if Seiko did that, the watch would be just perfect. And so in the meantime, people either wear it stock or mod it to their tastes (since Seiko isn't going to do one-offs for people). And therein lies the gift, and the genius that is Seiko, they give you a watch that is basic enough so that the average person can modify it to their tastes with no harm done to the watch itself. Try THAT with a rollie or patty, yeah, that's what I thought. So we have, as watch lovers, specifically Seiko watch lovers, that I think no other brand can claim. And that is that one of the brand's most basic, entry level diver is, well like a mutt rescued from the pound, so damn happy to be rescued that it will do anything for you, it will be your best friend and never complain. I don't believe there is any other watch, or brand in the world that has a product that pleases so many, in so many ways or so damn little. I have a 009, kinda wished I'd bought the 007 as I discovered I really prefer my watch to be more or less monochrome. That last said, I've abandoned the 009 for 6309s because....well, because. But I will always keep the 009 and do occasionally wear it,
mostly out of respect for what maybe could be considered the VW bug of the watch world.

#85 ·
I kinda don't want Seiko to screw with the SKX.. they'll put an "X" on it.. and bump the case to 45mm if they get 1/2 a chance...

I really like the SKX it is has a time tested formula ... it is cheap and cheerful which is it's main selling point.. dial that could have come from the 70s ... if you want something fancy buy something fancy.. I love the rugged, unpretentious functional SKX ..keep chugging them out Seiko...

I'm glad I have both the SKX009 and a A35 ..I like both of these more honestly than my "better" SRP turtle...

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

#86 ·
I kinda don't want Seiko to screw with the SKX.. they'll put an "X" on it.. and bump the case to 45mm if they get 1/2 a chance...

I really like the SKX it is has a time tested formula ... it is cheap and cheerful which is it's main selling point.. dial that could have come from the 70s ... if you want something fancy buy something fancy.. I love the rugged, unpretentious functional SKX ..keep chugging them out Seiko...

I'm glad I have both the SKX009 and a A35 ..I like both of these more honestly than my "better" SRP turtle...

View attachment 12154242
I don't want them to fool with the SKX either. One of the coolest things about it is the amount of aftermarket parts available, if you want to make it premium you can. And yours can be a one of a kind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#89 ·
I love it as is. Stock for me but I get the desire for mods.

#90 · (Edited)
I like the SKX and honestly wouldn't do a darn thing to it from an aesthetic standpoint. No, it isn't a luxurious diver and yes, it looks kinda cheap with the printed indices, but it's a cheap tool watch. Even Rolex Submariners used to come with printed indices.
The only thing I would change is to add the 4r36 movement. The 7s26 is a fine workhorse, but the watch could certainly benefit from handwinding capability. Hacking I don't really care about in functional use. I never pay attention to where the seconds hand is when I'm setting the watch anyway.

Edit: I'd like to add that I don't really consider heavily modified SKXs to be SKXs anymore. If you change everything about the watch but the crown and case in my opinion it is no longer that watch, but an animal of its own. That's fine, and it's cool in its own right, but it's not an SKX anymore. It's an SKX based custom watch.
Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#92 ·
My fear is that they would either make a Pro SKX that's prohibitively expensive like the 62MAS reissue or that it would have weird design elements not compliant with the original aesthetic.

With that said I'd probably buy one anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.