How much would you pay for a 'pro' SKX? - Page 7
Like Tree172Likes

Thread: How much would you pay for a 'pro' SKX?

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Re: How much would you pay for a 'pro' SKX?

Quote Originally Posted by Tickstart View Post
    A proper upgrade would be to enhance the 7s26 movement into not showing day and date. They are great complications don't get me wrong, but a completely symmetrical dial like the no date sub would be great. Then the only reason to ever get a sub would vanish.
    I wish Seiko would do more no-date divers.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Pedals_6Speeds View Post
    I wish Seiko would do more no-date divers.
    I always felt Seiko intended the "Sumo" aka SBDC031 as the "improved SKX." I always balked because the OEM bezel insert was too "NASCAR" looking and the tapered 20mm band was too skinny.
    Last edited by 5thLegion; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:44.

Nice write up. I agree the 007 on a Oster bracelet is just unbeatable and looks so darn good.
    Name:  14899667332701375753231.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  1.49 MB

Quote Originally Posted by rcorreale View Post
    I've owned many of the top tier divers over the past decade including Rolex, Blancpain, IWC, Breitling, and Omega. I shudder to think of the money spent. Along the way I picked up an SKX007 for shits and giggles. After wearing it for a while I couldn't rationalize tying up thousands in one of those other "high end" watches since for me the Seiko did everything all the others did just as well if not better. For example, I unintentionally wore my IWC Aquatimer while splitting wood. When finished I noticed it wasn't running and I couldn't get it to run. Cost me $400 to get it repaired. I intentionally wore my SKX to do the same chore, more than once and it never skipped a beat. So all those others are gone, cut my losses so to speak and the only mechanical auto I have is the 007, bone stock except for the Strapcode Super Oyster. It gets the bulk of wrist time, spelled occasionally by a couple of G Shocks. I've been wearing it for 6 straight weeks now and it's +5 seconds from where it started. None of the other big boys came anywhere close to that. All this for $140.00 all in including shipping + the cost of bracelet which I can't remember right now but it was less than $100 for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    rcorreale and Dec1968 like this.

How much would you pay for a 'pro' SKX?

I've owned many of the top tier divers over the past decade including Rolex, Blancpain, IWC, Breitling, and Omega. I shudder to think of the money spent. Along the way I picked up an SKX007 for shits and giggles. After wearing it for a while I couldn't rationalize tying up thousands in one of those other "high end" watches since for me the Seiko did everything all the others did just as well if not better. For example, I unintentionally wore my IWC Aquatimer while splitting wood. When finished I noticed it wasn't running and I couldn't get it to run. Cost me $400 to get it repaired. I intentionally wore my SKX to do the same chore, more than once and it never skipped a beat. So all those others are gone, cut my losses so to speak and the only mechanical auto I have is the 007, bone stock except for the Strapcode Super Oyster. It gets the bulk of wrist time, spelled occasionally by a couple of G Shocks. I've been wearing it for 6 straight weeks now and it's +5 seconds from where it started. None of the other big boys came anywhere close to that. All this for $140.00 all in including shipping + the cost of bracelet which I can't remember right now but it was less than $100 for sure.

I've tried so many watches and I always come back to my trusty SKX models.

David - @alienswanted (Instagram)
    rcorreale and il Pirati like this.

This post more than others weakens my will to resist picking up a Strapcode Super Oyster!
    rcorreale likes this.

I would love to see the SKX updated with hacking/handwinding. And a little better QC would be nice bonus (I've had to return one for a crown stem issue and another for really, really bad alignment).
    pook187 likes this.

I'm never gonna let you go

rcorreale likes this.

In a 'pro' skx the three key things for me would be an upgraded movement, sapphire glass, and a more refined case.

For movement I'd expect hacking and hand winding of course, like a 6r15, but I could settle with 4r36.

With the case I would want the same silhouette with the beautiful crown guards on my 009, but with sharper edges and nicer integration of brushed and polished steel to give it a more "jewel-like" appearance of more pricey watches.

As for the dial, I love the matte and flatness of the design that gives it the unique classic look so I wouldn't change much, if anything.

I could see myself paying double for a 'pro' with those upgrades.
    Last edited by dleesys; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:26.
    Everett464 and pook187 like this.

never a fan of Seiko's selection of hands so the first thing I did for my 007 clones..

SRP605 on Helberg strap Fixes the movement, case shape, crown position and price. All it needs is sapphire.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information