WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

How much would you pay for a 'pro' SKX?

14K views 91 replies 50 participants last post by  Boone 
#1 · (Edited)
I just got my 007 to add to my collection of black faced divers - and I love it. The design holds its own in terms of looks with my SubC and Pelagos.

What I don't love are the cheap- looking finishing, dial and movement.

I would pay quite a bit more for a version with improvements in all of these areas.

That said, this is a beautiful watch.

See less See more
#20 ·
I hope seiko never enhances the skx007. As it is a no nonsense dive watch. With a now 30 plus year heritage and is a low cost gateway to the fantastic world of Seiko divers that go all the way up or down to 1000 meters with Rolex quality at a slightly lower price
I agree wholeheartedly. I think the SKX is perfect right where it is. It's an authentic tool watch without any pretense. It strips a dive watch down the essential components and leaves out anything ornamental. I love the printed markers, the unidirectional Alu bezel, and even the workhorse movement. The SKX is just so beautiful in its simplicity.

While I wouldn't mind if Seiko did introduce an upgraded SKX with a 4R36 or 6R15 movement, I really hope they don't kill off the base model. Right now it's everybody's go to recommendation for a first dive watch or even first automatic watch. If you want something a bit nicer there's the Turtle, Sumo, or even MM300. I do think the prices are a bit inflated right now, I hope they drop back down to the $170 range to compete with Orient's excellent options here.

#7 ·
I feel you. I like the SKX but it overall feels too cheap. If you replace everything except the case, it's better to just get a better watch in the first place

I owned the SBDX001 (MM300) and loved everything about it except the ridiculous size and thickness. If they re-release it in 40-41mm size like the SKX, I would be happy to buy one and keep it forever.

I don't understand why Seiko keeps making giant watches when Japanese wrists are smaller

#56 · (Edited)
I feel you. I like the SKX but it overall feels too cheap. If you replace everything except the case, it's better to just get a better watch in the first place

I owned the SBDX001 (MM300) and loved everything about it except the ridiculous size and thickness. If they re-release it in 40-41mm size like the SKX, I would be happy to buy one and keep it forever.

I don't understand why Seiko keeps making giant watches when Japanese wrists are smaller
Feels too cheap? Compared to what other <$200 ISO certified dive watch?

#8 ·
I don't think it looks cheap. It's utilitarian, easily modded, and affordable. The 7S26 is a dependable workhorse that goes a decade or more without needing servicing. It can run better than +/- 5s per day with regulation. The dial isn't cluttered, it's easy to read, and the lume is excellent. Parts are easy to acquire and inexpensive. In addition to having sexy lines, it's got a crown guard, unlike a lot of pricier Seiko divers. It's ISO 6425 rated thus it's a true professional dive watch.

I miss my SKX009 more than any watch I've let go. I think there's one in my near future.

#9 ·
I don't think it looks cheap. It's utilitarian, easily modded, and affordable. The 7S26 is a dependable workhorse that goes a decade or more without needing servicing. It can run better than +/- 5s per day with regulation. The dial isn't cluttered, it's easy to read, and the lume is excellent. Parts are easy to acquire and inexpensive. In addition to having sexy lines, it's got a crown guard, unlike a lot of pricier Seiko divers. It's ISO 6425 rated thus it's a true professional dive watch.

I miss my SKX009 more than any watch I've let go. I think there's one in my near future.
I totally understand that - and now I own two just in case.

David - @alienswanted (Instagram)

#10 ·
It's perfect the way it is considering its a $200 watch. I've gained more appreciation for it since buying more expensive watches and even re-bought two SKX's after selling my original SKX's to fund more expensive watches.

It's a basic, no nonsense, retro tool watch that carries a lot of history. I would think it does look cheap beside a Sub C and Pelagos which are $6k and $3k watches.

#16 ·
I wore an SKX173 daily for 11 years. When I decided it was time for something better, I realized I just wanted a better version of the SKX.
So I got it.

It's heavier than the SKX, but it really doesn't wear much bigger at all. And it is so gorgeous that it's hard to fault anything in the construction.
About as "Pro" as you'll find, this side of a Tuna.

#17 · (Edited)
Paid $103 (new incl. shipping) for this SRP607 which has a better movement than the SKX, a 3 o'clock crown and a less wonky case shape.

#19 ·
My best diver is a padi turtle, but my skx007 is still my favorite. I think the reason is its size and weight plus the stock jubilee, which is my favorite bracelet.

I wouldn't mind paying turtle prices for an upgraded skx007/009 with a 4r36 and better finishing.

I'd hope they'd keep the jubilee bracelet as it is, except maybe add spring-loaded release buttons instead of the friction catch.

I think the dial is perfect the way it is.

I like the flat painted markers. I think they suit the watch better than applied ones.

#43 · (Edited)
https://www.instagram.com/monteurhorloges/?hl=en

Can you please share with us the approximate cost to build a watch to the below specification? i love the look, thank you.
movement $50
sapphire $55
bezel insert $38
labor and drilling lugs ?? (because at that time i had multiple projects so he charged me all as a package)

A proper upgrade would be to enhance the 7s26 movement into not showing day and date. They are great complications don't get me wrong, but a completely symmetrical dial like the no date sub would be great. Then the only reason to ever get a sub would vanish.
my other SKX has no day/date its nice and clean from aesthetic point of view, but i have a habit of checking my watch for date. I catch myself looking for it throughout the day however.

#35 ·
To each his own. I personally don't have much interest in anything that doesn't have at least a date complication. There are times when there's no semester happening and I'm not doing any research or consulting gigs where I genuinely don't know the date.

Of course, I could glance at my phone, but, what's the fun in that?

#37 ·
The skx007 is near perfect, if I had one i would get a classic black ceramic insert from dlw and a flat profile sapphire (same shape as original crystal) and a super oyster. Someone posted a similar mod on the mod thread and it looked perfect. Perhaps change the second hand to look similar to an skx013

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

#45 ·
Artifice Horoworks offers several models of "SKX Enhanced." You can get a Crystal and Movement upgrade for just under $500 (which is a bit of money, but you don't have to do the work). Or you can go for their full hog upgrade that updates almost everything besides the worst part of an SKX - the bezel insert. The more serious version costs just shy of a grand, and is heavy on the AH branding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.