How much is a yellow monster worth?

Thread: How much is a yellow monster worth?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Seiko-SKZ203K1-L...QQcmdZViewItem

I've been watching this on ebay for awhile now. It looks to be in good shape but it's not NOS. Alot of watch-saavy people I know think the yellow is overpriced.. for you seiko experts here, what's the 'sweet spot' price for the rare NOS yellow monster that turns up?
    Last edited by Locomoco; February 16th, 2007 at 12:40.

Re: How much is a yellow monster worth?

Quote Originally Posted by Locomoco View Post
    I guess it's worth what anyone is prepared (or daft enough) to pay for it...

I am watching this one too, but slightly concerned over the lack of feedback on the seller. Yellow Monsters don't come up too often, so it is tempting. Still one heck of a price to pay for something that you can get for under £100 in another colour (albeit without the sapphire, or the same cachet of the YM).

Daniel.
    BREITLING B-1 SQ + UTC
    SEIKO SKX007K on WJean SO II

WX1

I'm slowly getting into the Seiko "yellow" or "orange" monster models. I know I saw some kind of yellow dial Seiko diver while passing by a reputable outlet one day.

I have a question here, too: is it yellow color that makes this yellow monster so "worthy"? Would the “price” increase or decrease or remain the same if “Malaysia” or “Japan Mov’t.” or “Japan” appears at the 6 o’clock position?

Quote Originally Posted by WX1 View Post
    I know I saw some kind of yellow dial Seiko diver while passing by a reputable outlet one day.

You did not see a yellow monster. Those have long been in the hands of collectors. There are only 300 and they are not making any more.

You most likely saw one of these, an SKXA35 (this is a picture of my watch taken by it's former owner. The watch is on an aftermarket strap):

I have a question here, too: is it yellow color that makes this yellow monster so "worthy"?

That, but more so it was the only LE variant of the popular monster line, and it should improvements (albeit minor ones) over the regular monsters. Mainly the differences where a sapphire crystal with a cyclops, a yellow face, and a 7s36 movement. It was also limited to only 300 pieces, so that makes it special. The black and orange models have been built in the tens of thousands, while the thai market blue model was built in lesser numbers (though it was not a LE) before it was discontinued (at least that's what the rumors are saying - that it has been discontinued).

Would the “price” increase or decrease or remain the same if “Malaysia” or “Japan Mov’t.” or “Japan” appears at the 6 o’clock position?

Doesn't make sense to speculate since the 300 made all say the same thing. the only difference between them are their LE numbers and serial numbers.

Hmmm, seems like someone could have their own "Yellow Monster" by modding a standard Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C View Post
    Hmmm, seems like someone could have their own "Yellow Monster" by modding a standard Monster
    several people have done it with one of Bill Yao's yellow sat dials.

Another caution about the seller

In addition to not having any feedbacks, this seller has, only last week, changed his ebay ID. He had another ID for the past 3 years or so and on Feb 5th, changed it. I wonder what kind of feedback he had with the other ID? Careful.

As to price of the Yellow Monster, beauty is truly in the eyes of the beholder and a watch is worth what a buyer is willing to pay. But, $1100 US (more by auction's end) is a bit much to pay for a $300 watch with a yellow dial and sapphire crystal. IMO.
    Best Regards,
    Ray K

WX1

Quote Originally Posted by Isthmus View Post
    You did not see a yellow monster. Those have long been in the hands of collectors. There are only 300 and they are not making any more.

You most likely saw . . . an SKXA35.

That, but more so it was the only LE variant of the popular monster line, and it should improvements (albeit minor ones) over the regular monsters. Mainly the differences where a sapphire crystal with a cyclops, a yellow face, and a 7s36 movement. It was also limited to only 300 pieces, so that makes it special. The black and orange models have been built in the tens of thousands, while the thai market blue model was built in lesser numbers (though it was not a LE) before it was discontinued (at least that's what the rumors are saying - that it has been discontinued).

Doesn't make sense to speculate since the 300 made all say the same thing. the only difference between them are their LE numbers and serial numbers.
    In this case, then, I most probably did see a SKXA35, then. Really attactive dial anyways.

Always good to get clarification on rarities. Thanks for the information, Isthmus

Re: Another caution about the seller

Quote Originally Posted by Ray K View Post
    As to price of the Yellow Monster, beauty is truly in the eyes of the beholder and a watch is worth what a buyer is willing to pay. But, $1100 US (more by auction's end) is a bit much to pay for a $300 watch with a yellow dial and sapphire crystal. IMO.
    Well, you can't honestly think that everyone who buys a yellow monster for over $1000 wants it only because it's yellow. The fact that there are only three hundred in the world might have something to do with it

To me it's worth about the same as a black or orange monster. Around $100 on eBay.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information