Like Tree4Likes

Thread: How to remove a SUPER tight Seiko screw case back?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question How to remove a SUPER tight Seiko screw case back?

I have just received a Seiko quartz chronograph from the bay which is great, but it needs a new battery and the case back is on super tight and I can't get it off. I've tried using one of those cheap 2 prong case back removers which though crappy, has got the back off dozens of watches before but no luck this time. I have tried using a cold ice cube tray to slightly contract the metal but nothing. I have tried using some WD40 lubricant, but it won't budge at all. I have ordered a better 3 prong case back remover from the net, but it will be a few days before it arrives. Any one got any tips on how to remove it? I don't really want to have to go to a watchmaker and pay, but jeez, I can't get it to budge.

Re: How to remove a SUPER tight Seiko screw case back?

Bench cramp and a fine point pryer.. Plus using strength of yr lifetime...

I experienced once. Its an old watch , with salt and rust eating into the track.

The hard way is the only way.
    Last edited by Triton9; May 15th, 2012 at 17:20.
    " A great time piece on your wrist shows you are serious of time "

Seems like someone said supergluing a hex bolt onto the case back then using a wrench to remove it would work. Then the superglue can be cleaned off with acetone or something similar. They said it works great and doesn't damage the caseback. Here's the thread:

Any suggestions on case back removal for this Seiko?

something heavy duty

Last edited by seikomatic; May 16th, 2012 at 10:44.

Yep, it looks like mine is from the same series of watches, so no wonder it is on tight. Maybe the supeglue method is the way to go.

Hi,

I had a similar problem with an SKX031. I tried a 3-prong case back remover, with the watch held in a case holder that was secured in a bench vise, but I couldn't even budge the case back at all (although I did get some excellent scratches). I upped the ante with several attempts at differentially heating the watch (heating the case with hot water, and cooling the back with an ice cube) with no success either. Finally I tried the super glue technique. I super glued a 22 mm nut to the case back and used a socket and 1/2" drive to open it. Five minutes for the glue to set, and then the back came off on my first try! For those who are wondering how l wore the watch afterwards with a 22 mm nut stuck on the back, no problems. Soaking the back in acetone (removed from the watch obviously) dissolved all of the super glue.

Garth
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by garthg View Post
    Hi,

I had a similar problem with an SKX031. I tried a 3-prong case back remover, with the watch held in a case holder that was secured in a bench vise, but I couldn't even budge the case back at all (although I did get some excellent scratches). I upped the ante with several attempts at differentially heating the watch (heating the case with hot water, and cooling the back with an ice cube) with no success either. Finally I tried the super glue technique. I super glued a 22 mm nut to the case back and used a socket and 1/2" drive to open it. Five minutes for the glue to set, and then the back came off on my first try! For those who are wondering how l wore the watch afterwards with a 22 mm nut stuck on the back, no problems. Soaking the back in acetone (removed from the watch obviously) dissolved all of the super glue.

Garth

Wow. McGyver would blush. I love the enginuity. ;)

Couch

How do you hold the watch case itself steady during the turn?

Been trying to open up one of my 6309s that an overseas watchmaker appears to have tightened up the caseback to the nth degree.

I can't even get a turn. I've been using one of the watch case holders with those moveable nylon pins and at some point the case would simply twist past the pins and slide off.

Thinking of going to my local watchmaker to see if he can do this (not sure if he has anything more duty, as I've only seen him use the same opener that I use), but wanted to see if there's a way I can do on my own here first before having to shell out cash for what is usually a simple process.
    Last edited by spacetimefabric; September 29th, 2012 at 15:51.
    Collection
    Seiko Mods - Vintage Omegas - Chinese/Indian/Russian Watches.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyDog View Post
    I have tried using some WD40 lubricant, but it won't budge at all.
    WD40 will do bugger all to help remove it, it is not a penetrating or release oil like Plusgas. WD40 is a water dispersing oil, hence the WD.

Sorry I can be of no help with removing the back.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by tadpole View Post
    WD40 will do bugger all to help remove it, it is not a penetrating or release oil like Plusgas. WD40 is a water dispersing oil, hence the WD
    hear hear / +1

WD40 what is it good for?, absolutely nothing lol (apart from water displacement
    Last edited by watchma; September 29th, 2012 at 23:05.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information