Thread: Import duty fees to the U.S.A.

Import duty fees to the U.S.A.

I have been looking at a Seiko watch on eBay from vendors who live in either Singapore or Hong Kong. The vendor is reputable but he states on his posting that "import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the shipping charges." Has anyone who purchased a watch from such a vendor had to pay important duty on your watch, and if so, what is the ballpark figure? Do we pay on the retail value of the watch or what we paid for it? In the past, I have purchased watches from an eBay vendor called Pokemonyu and did not have to pay any extra duty or import fees. Is this still the case today? Thanks!

Re: Import duty fees to the U.S.A.

I've bought watches from sellers from hong kong and didn't have to pay any import duties. I would imagine it's possible that you would, but i've never had any experience with it. I think it's more common in other countries. again, not saying it won't happen, but it's never happened to me.

HK to US? nothing

Agreed, I've purchased several watches from ebay sellers in Asian markets and never paid any "duties" or customs charges. Same thing with many flashlights and other electronics - never anything beyond the normal shipping charges. Some sellers on ebay will warn you that you are responisble for such fees but I believe that is for countries other than the US.

OK, thanks. I am about to purchase a watch and did not want to get stuck with any heavy import duties. You have all relieved my mind and opened the way to a new Seiko Spork!

I have bought many watches from Japan. One time I had to pay it (7%). The watch was the SBCM023 (less than $300) from Seiya shipped via EMS as usual. I still don't know why.

I've bought stuff from HK, like tobacco pies, R/C Helis, watches galore, and never had anyone say anything. Usually it's through USPS, but I've also got stuff from China via FedEx, too. I even bought a watch from Kuwait through ebay, and didn't have to pay anything! That was Aramex to Fedex........

here's what the US Customs form contains: importers have to fill out the information, then a value is placed on each category and a fee is computed:

material of strap?
    material of case?
    material of backplate?
    is case plated? with gold or silver?
    type of watch movement? analog, digital, both
    power source? battery, automatic, manual
    number of jewels in movement?
    country of origin of movement?

value of movement?
    value of case?
    value of battery?
    value of strap?
    total watch value?

If a watch is imported without the form being filled out, the watch is held by the customs office until a completed form is provided, either by the watch seller or the importer. This has happened to me several times when intl shipping was via Fedex, as they have a satellite US customs office in-house, supposedly to speed up the process. I've paid anywhere from $75 to $250 for customs fees.

Thread Information