IP/PVD coatings...HELP!!!!!

Thread: IP/PVD coatings...HELP!!!!!

IP/PVD coatings...HELP!!!!!

Hey everyone, I'm brand new here and admittedly I know almost zilch about watches. I need some advice with regards to the durability of the IP/PVD finish on watches. Here's the deal...

I fell in love with the Citizen Nighthawk, but I'm torn between the ion-plated black version (BJ7005) or the stainless steel version (BJ7000). For me I think the black one would look better and I am crazy about it, but in doing some research I've heard mixed reviews about PVD coating and scratching. I can't really see myself beating the watch up too badly but I do get worried when I read some of the amazon reviews of the black watch (though most of those people don't seem to know what they're talking about). I lead a pretty active life and I doubt I would be bothered by a few tiny scratches, but I also want this watch to last me a long time without looking like crap.

Does anyone out there own a IP/PVD watch? If so, how long have you owned it and have you had any serious problems with scratching or wearing? Would you opt for the less-apparent scratching of stainless over the bold/"stealthy" look of the black watch?

Any thoughts are welcome, and thanks in advance to all of you for your help!

Re: IP/PVD coatings...HELP!!!!!

the plating holds up pretty good, but it is not very thick so bigger scratches will show, the band is most of the time the first thing to get scratched, sometimes a new band can be almost half the price of some watches. you could always buy two watches, one for dress light use and have your work, sports one to wear everyday
    Tag Heuer Carrera vintage calibre 1
    Tag Heuer Aquaracer caliber S
    Tag Heuer link automatic
    Tag Heuer aquaracer chronotimer
    Tag Heuer aquaracer grande date
    Philip admirale chrono v7750
    Burett neo icon auto
    Movado elliptica
    Invicta 9937 auto

Ion-plating is great...no doubt about it, but go for the stainless steel. IP-plating, usually not very thick (measured in microns), does not stand up very well. If you can find a watch that has a coating of at least 10-15 microns thick, as well as all in-between links coated as well, then buy one. That level of coating is very expensive. Nothing is uglier as when the IP-plating begins to chip off, and you wind up with an unintentional 2-tone watch.

Angelis

Welcome to WUS! Depends on the manufacturer and watch knowsnothing...they all have similar processes, but some are better than others. This is my experience with PVD/IP/DLC: You're going to get what you pay for. The Nighthawk in question will scratch (ie reach inside a metal filing cabinet)....then it will show silver....add that up over 6 months and what do you have? If you baby your watches then your most likely safe.

IMO if you want a black metal watch to last your best bet is either Casio's MRG line or Citizens DLC models. They can be pricey. There are a few modders here that use various ceramic and PVD coatings and they say they hold up quite well. I'm not familiar with these aftermarket coatings at all.
    "You've stolen my heart, yes You have, You've wiped away the stains, broke away the chains, yes You have!" Leeland

Suspended

Decide if some silver showing through the black will bother you or not. If so, I would avoid IP coating. Also IP coating tends to get a shiny/glossy appearance.

If you want a watch that has a darker finish that's not a coating, but actually a black color...look to a tungsten braceket and case, or a gunmetal case and bracelet. Not in a Seiko, but other good watch companies.

Angelis

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

One thing to consider is this. The IP/PVD coating can easily be removed with a light bead blasting. If you like it buy it in black and live with it. Down the road it can be easily removed and finished to SS any way you like (Brushed, bead blasted or polished). This way you can get what you want. You do not you start the watch relationship positive with no reservations. I've done this for about 40 people now.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

Thread Information