Just received my first automatic Seiko (SNK789K). - Page 2
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Just received my first automatic Seiko (SNK789K).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Just received my first automatic Seiko (SNK789K).

Quote Originally Posted by RejZoR View Post
    I like it. Simple dial and hands, no unnecessary garnish. The caliber 7s26 is so common these days (since its in every Seiko 5) that they can sell it dirty cheap and thats why Seiko 5's are so affordable. But 7s26 has been around for ages and its a proven caliber, a true beater (i see you have a 7s26C revision, i'm still on 7s26B). Plus i like it how Seiko uses glass case back on pretty much all Seiko 5 models which is nice. I often take the watch off and observe the balance wheel rushing around.
    On the matter of the 7s26C-movement, I found a really nice disassembly article with some great pictures of the movement here:

Seiko watch movement, part 1
    Seiko watch movement, part 2
    Seiko watch movement, part 3
    Seiko watch movement, part 4
    Last edited by vithicon; March 15th, 2013 at 11:20.

Banned

I never knew that the 7S26 has plastic gears inside of it for the day and date wheel.

Well, they only move once a day so there is nothing wrong with that really. Everything else is made out of metal (those gears that rotate more).
    Quartz: Bulova Accutron II 96B213 | Casio Baby-G BGA-301-1AER | Casio G-Shock GW-M5610BC-1ER | Casio Futurist LA-201W-2A2 & LA-201W-1B | Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-1AJF | Citizen Titanium BM7170-53L | Phosphor Appear MD013G & MD012G | Seiko Spirit E-Ink SBPA001
    Mechanical: Fossil Boyfriend ME3069 | Orient M-Force Red Beast EL06001H | Orient Mako CEM65001B | Orient Mako XL CEM75004B |
    Seiko 5 SNXS77 | Seiko Baby Snow Monster SRP481K1 | Seiko Baby GrandSeiko SARB035 | Sea-Gull M182SK Red | Steinhart Ocean One Black Ceramic | Swatch Sistem Irony Tux | Seiko 5 SSA327K1

Banned

Well, they only move once a day so there is nothing wrong with that really. Everything else is made out of metal (those gears that rotate more).
    I was thinking about the plastic melting if exposed to extremely hot temperatures like the temperatures of the desert in the Middle East. If one was working in the hot desert of the Middle East where the temperatures can go up to 120 to 140 degrees Fahrenheit, I would think that over time, the plastic wheels inside the watch will become soft and "deformed" or even melt.
    Did Seiko used to make these same day and date wheels out of metal parts in the past with the 6309 and 6105 movements? When did they revert to plastic gears for the day and date wheel for the 7S26 movement? Does anyone know the detailed history about this?

Place a Lego block on a direct sun when its at its peak and be amazed when nothing will happen. Plastics are extremely heat resistant these days. It depends on the type granted but i highly doubt that date gears would melt on sun, especially since since there is also a dial in between. I just find it very unlikely if not impossible...
    Quartz: Bulova Accutron II 96B213 | Casio Baby-G BGA-301-1AER | Casio G-Shock GW-M5610BC-1ER | Casio Futurist LA-201W-2A2 & LA-201W-1B | Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-1AJF | Citizen Titanium BM7170-53L | Phosphor Appear MD013G & MD012G | Seiko Spirit E-Ink SBPA001
    Mechanical: Fossil Boyfriend ME3069 | Orient M-Force Red Beast EL06001H | Orient Mako CEM65001B | Orient Mako XL CEM75004B |
    Seiko 5 SNXS77 | Seiko Baby Snow Monster SRP481K1 | Seiko Baby GrandSeiko SARB035 | Sea-Gull M182SK Red | Steinhart Ocean One Black Ceramic | Swatch Sistem Irony Tux | Seiko 5 SSA327K1

Since I live in Denmark my ability for testing what the date wheels can handle under extreme circumstances is limited -- if I get the chance to make a field trip anytime soon I'll let you know.

Banned

Place a Lego block on a direct sun when its at its peak and be amazed when nothing will happen. Plastics are extremely heat resistant these days. It depends on the type granted but i highly doubt that date gears would melt on sun, especially since since there is also a dial in between. I just find it very unlikely if not impossible...
    Maybe the plastic gears will not melt, but I would think that they could warp from too much excessive heat.

Well, located in Israel, I was working last summer for about 3 days in direct sun (quiet dangerous over here) on a project we've had, from morning till evening with my new 5 on my wrist. We had 36 Celsius in the shade (that's about 45 in direct sun). The five is still ok .
    I'm not mentioning all the other hot days it had to go through, as I'm not always inside the office with the A/C. The watch is on my wrist for about 11-12 hours a day, which means it has not much venting time as my body also generates its heat.
    A friend came over for a visit, he's Arab and working construction in Saudi, he had a white Seiko 5 (cost him 20$ over there…). He is usually working in the direct sun. His 5 is still keeping good time (7 yrs old).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by steinmann View Post
    Well, located in Israel, I was working last summer for about 3 days in direct sun (quiet dangerous over here) on a project we've had, from morning till evening with my new 5 on my wrist. We had 36 Celsius in the shade (that's about 45 in direct sun). The five is still ok .
    I'm not mentioning all the other hot days it had to go through, as I'm not always inside the office with the A/C. The watch is on my wrist for about 11-12 hours a day, which means it has not much venting time as my body also generates its heat.
    A friend came over for a visit, he's Arab and working construction in Saudi, he had a white Seiko 5 (cost him 20$ over there…). He is usually working in the direct sun. His 5 is still keeping good time (7 yrs old).
    That's good to hear that your Seiko 5 holds up very well in 36 to 45 degrees Celcius. I'm looking forward to going to Israel and to Greece for vacation next summer. I'm going to be wearing my SKX diver watch and my atomic solar Frogman while there. I've got relatives and friends in both Greece and Israel.

Quote Originally Posted by Tick Toc View Post
    I'm looking forward to going to Israel and to Greece for vacation next summer. I've got relatives and friends in both Greece and Israel.
    Haven't they told you it is best visiting these areas this time– March - June ?
    It can be pretty horrible over here in the summer (unless you like the heat) .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information