WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Let's see your Seiko H558-5000/5009 aka "Arnies"

51K views 223 replies 64 participants last post by  jpisare 
#1 ·
Would love to see all the Arnies out there. I'll hopefully be contributing to this post soon:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#44 ·
#46 ·
Happy Birthday to your Arnie! The Seiko H558 are well engineered time pieces. They keep good time and are durable for any situation. The original plastic shroud in most cases will not last. That is why in my opinion, a metal shroud is necessary and gives the Arnie the ultimate protection. Either way, the Seiko H558 will go down as one of the best time pieces ever made.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk

#53 ·
Do any of you arnie guru's have a link to adjust the date on these-- i have a H601-(upsidedown) arnie and with leap year my date is off. Any help would be appreciated gents!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have the h558 tech guides on my computer here but don't think i can post or attach them.. but if you google h558 technical you should find the pdf's. I don't know if they are the same as the 601 but it's probably better than nothing.

#54 ·
Actually turns out i can..

Attachments

Reactions: Diggs84
#60 ·
hi guys....I just got my watch back from the shop.....cleaned up and tuned up. I hope my pictures come out....three pictures with different digital display to show it is working....yeah baby.... I feel complete again. pictures before and after.
and thank you every one for helping with links, thoughts and motivation to keep and service my watch, all worth it.
pictures before and after.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Wrist

#61 ·
hi guys....I just got my watch back from the shop.....cleaned up and tuned up. I hope my pictures come out....three pictures with different digital display to show it is working....yeah baby.... I feel complete again. pictures before and after.
and thank you every one for helping with links, thoughts and motivation to keep and service my watch, all worth it.
pictures before and after.
View attachment 7762938 View attachment 7762946 View attachment 7762954 View attachment 7762970
That Arnie looks awesome! Should last you many more years to come. I recently purchased an aluminum shroud and when it arrives, I will post some new pics. The Arnie is my all time favorite watch and in my opinion, the best watch Seiko has ever made. The story behind this watch is amazing and it is the only watch in movie history to be in more movies worn by the same actor, Arnold Schwarzenegger. Glad to see your Arnie back!

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk

#63 ·
It's because Arnold Schwarzenegger wore one in some of his biggest movies of the 80s.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

#68 · (Edited)
I've had mine since new. Bought it while an exchange student in Friday Harbor, WA in January 1987.
Leaving the theater where I watched the movie Commando, in early 1986, there was a guy selling the movie poster. And there was the watch. A reminder that I had to buy one.
But here in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, it was nearly impossible.
So, as soon as I got to the US, finding the H-558 was one of my first tasks!

Amazingly, in the small island of Friday Harbor, there it was, in a jewelry store. The price was $325.00 plus tax. A bit overpriced for the watch and for the time.
I even thought I might find it cheaper in bigger cities that I would visit later, but a 17 year old with cash in the wallet will not risk that!

And off I went to school, showing my new Arnie (wasn't called that then), and people did notice!
In the 6 months I spent as an exchange student, I moved to Oregon, visited also Idaho and Nevada, and looked for the watch! Just to see if I could find it.
And I didn't! So, that 17 year old was right! And I never regretted it!

It's been with me since then, almost 30 years! Never got serviced, and it's working perfectly!
I restored it in 2010, with new shroud, battery, strap and bezel insert. After almost 10 years left forgotten in a drawer, it was again as good as new!
There's a little chip on the crystal from many scuba diving and spearfishing adventures. But I'll have a new one installed soon. It might need new hands too...

This year I decided to go with a black PVD steel bracelet, because I got tired of changing the Z-22 straps. Flat and wave vents. Whatever I had here, buying 5 at a time.
Sometimes it would just break and the watch would fall to the ground. Fortunately it always happened while strapping it to my wrist and it just hit the carpet. But it could fall while I was riding my motorcycle, and get run over by a bus!

It already fell once into the ocean, at Ipanema Beach, and took me almost one hour to find the watch! My friends gave up after 10 or 15 minutes. But I didn't!! That was sometime around 2000 or 2001.
Also, I was robbed in 1992, but went after the guy with a policeman on my motorcycle, and got the watch back (after beating up the guy a bit).
I'm very happy with the steel bracelets on all my watches. Never going back to rubber straps again!

And BTW, does anyone know where to find new bezel inserts? There was a guy, Noah, but he died. I bought mine from his wife, who was answering the emails then. I don't know if she still has any.
Also, I could use a bezel for another H-558 I have. Anybody with a spare? Will the bezel from the H-601 fit? I'd guess it would.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Wrist

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.