WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Let's see your Seiko H558-5000/5009 aka "Arnies"

51K views 223 replies 64 participants last post by  jpisare 
#1 ·
Would love to see all the Arnies out there. I'll hopefully be contributing to this post soon:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#75 ·
Hi all. Just joined to contribute to this thread. Here's my H558-5009 that I bought new in '85 (if I recall correctly).

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

Kept it is in really good shape, however it has two problems. I recently replaced the battery (after taking this photo) and while the LCD works as expected, the analog movement is dead. Odd since it always worked fine. I'll be sending it to my trusty watchmaker who I've been using for years, this week.

I also replaced the shroud with an eBay special that I really don't like. Too glossy for my taste. Which leads to my question. I've seen a few of you with metal shrouds - but can't find ANY online. Can anyone point me to anyone who still makes them?

I'll report back when I hear from Rik my watchmaker as to the prognosis.

I hope it's repairable, it's in such nice shape I'd hate to lose it!

#81 ·
Hi all. Just joined to contribute to this thread. Here's my H558-5009 that I bought new in '85 (if I recall correctly).

I also replaced the shroud with an eBay special that I really don't like. Too glossy for my taste. Which leads to my question. I've seen a few of you with metal shrouds - but can't find ANY online. Can anyone point me to anyone who still makes them?
Hi, there...
I have one of Armsaver's metal shrouds. I removed the paint to use it with the metal look, but since then, I painted it black again.
Would you be interested in it? You can repaint it, PVD, ceracote, or powdercoat it.
I'm now using a plastic one.

#76 ·
The plastic shroud you bought looks a lot like the ones "armsaver" Claudio has been selling recently. He is one of the seller who sold aluminium shroud a few monthes ago, only on small batches quantities. Wayne "MontecristoNo1" also made a few steel shrouds some time ago. Your best shot would be to contact them.
Claudio is reachable via his eBay account, you could ask him if he plans to make another batch of aluminium shrouds, that's what I did about a year ago to get mine.

#78 ·
It's a forum name on the Seiko and Citizen forum (SCWF), he has an eBay profile on that name too, but no item to sell (I just checked). Sorry I don't give links, it's a pain in the ass with a tablet and it's 2h35 am here, I'm too tired ! I'll search some more information for you tomorow.
Best regards

#80 · (Edited)
It's no problem at all. I did not manage to find any other seller for metal shrouds, sorry. For MontecristoNo1, I've been a stalker and saw that his last activity on the SCWF forum dates from two days ago, I guess you'll have to register there and send him a private message.
I've been thinking about your shroud by the way: did you consider "fixing" its shiny plastic glint with a good old scotchbrite pad ? It might get the job done.

#83 ·
I managed to track down MontecristoNo1 and he is indeed still selling the steel shrouds. I've sent my Arnie to my watchmaker to get it repaired. Once he confirms it is indeed salvageable, I'm ordering one of his PVD coated shrouds. Now fingers crossed that the movement is an easy fix.

#86 · (Edited)
Bah. Overnighted it to my watchmaker (who is a genius when it comes to automatics) who just called me with "yep, the analog movement is dead, and I can't find a replacement at any of my suppliers". He said he won't try and repair a Quartz movement because he can't guarantee his work. Oh well.

So so I read somewhere that the plentiful H557 movement will fit, however it uses a different stem which won't work with the Arnie case. So it's not looking good.

I guess ill ill see if I can find a Seiko specialty shop who may be able to use the parts from a working H557 movement to revive my partially dead H558.

if anyone has any recommendations for a Seiko surgeon, I'd appreciate it. :-(

#87 ·
Bah. Overnighted it to my watchmaker (who is a genius when it comes to automatics) who just called me with "yep, the analog movement is dead, and I can't find a replacement at any of my suppliers". He said he won't try and repair a Quartz movement because he can't guarantee his work. Oh well.

So so I read somewhere that the plentiful H557 movement will fit, however it uses a different stem which won't work with the Arnie case. So it's not looking good.

I guess ill ill see if I can find a Seiko specialty shop who may be able to use the parts from a working H557 movement to revive my partially dead H558.

if anyone has any recommendations for a Seiko surgeon, I'd appreciate it. :-(
An H556 is a straight drop in - if you got a 557 you would need to strip the whole movement as the plastic main board and led are the wrong shape

#90 ·
Indeed I will. He didn't have any PVD coated avail, but he did have a unfinished one that I ordered and should get in a week or so. I'll send it to a local coating shop for either a black cerakote or PVD. I also found a H556 on eBay for about $90 delivered, so I jumped on it as well. We're it not for the hand removal I could probably swap it myself, but I don't have the tools and my meathook hands are not qualified for such delicate work I don't think. So rather then foul it up, I'll probably send it out for the movement swap, and have all the o rings and gaskets changed at the same time, along with the pressure test.

#95 ·
Nuts. I missed this. He didn't. He didn't disassemble the movement, he's really a mechanical movement guy. He didn't disassemble it. I've got a used H558 dress watch on the way though, so hopefully it's an easy enough swap. He will be replacing all the rubber bits and pressure testing, which will be good at least.

#106 ·
Here's a little update.
My faithful H-558-5009 (March 1984) now has company.
Just got a badly beat up Arnie JDM version H-558-5000 from April 1982.
I will start restoring it as soon as I find the whole bezel for sale.
This one is out of round and warped, and is also scraped. I got it out today, after a lot of effort to remove it, and at least now it's turning half the way.
The hands and dial look better than mine. And the crystal isn't chipped either. Just scratched.
It will get a full overhaul soon!
Another 6309-7040 arrived this week too. So, my Seiko Turtle also has a friend to play with!
More pics to come.

H-558-5009 (International) and H-558-5000 (Japan Domestic Market) - Broken shroud installed on the watch
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

The family together - Broken shroud removed
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Material property

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.