Mini Review: Maratac Elite Series Composite Straps

Thread: Mini Review: Maratac Elite Series Composite Straps

-->
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

Thumbs Up Mini Review: Maratac Elite Series Composite Straps

While looking for an alternative to the bund I was using on my custom Seiko BFS I came across the Maratac Elite Series Composite Straps.
    They state: "It's like leather, it's like nylon, it's like composite. A regular strap doesn't work wet. This works wet or dry."

Description:
    Stitched composite Watch Bands. Available in 20mm, 22mm, and 24mm, with black, white, red, or yellow stitching. All straps measure 24mm wide (non-tapering). Buckle side is 24mm x 80mm. Hole side is 24mm x 135mm. Straps are 3mm thick. Buckle is polished stainless steel. Weight 20 grams without watch. Comes with springbars. Contains no Kevlar™.

Web Site is: http://www.broadarrow.net/maratac.htm

These sell for $20 and they flat fee the shipping which is nice. I bought a few of these in 20mm, 22mm and 24mm and a few Zulu straps and was only charged $5.15 for shipping and handling. Even more impressive their order team was enough on the ball that when I went back later that day to order two more things they found the first order and grouped it together and only charged me the flat rate on one order and refunded the shipping on the second order. This was done without me calling or asking in email so

When the strap arrived today it was exactly as described. The strap is uniform in width so all are sizes are 24mm wide and then are trimmed for the 22mm and 20mm for those versions. The thickness tapers from 5mm to 2mm which is really nice and makes it look like a very high cost strap. The strap comes with the spring pins (look to be 1.5-2mm) installed in each piece. All straps are black and as noted above there are 4 stitching color options (Black, Red, Yellow and White). They are really not very clear what it is made of exactly but it does have a leather with a rubber coating feel similar to some of the coatings. The look is a matt black with a diamond sort of nylon pattern with heavy stitching. The buckle is heavy duty Stainless Steel with a 4 mm center tang. The holes for the buckle are slotted to match the tang. The over all construction is very solid and I would believe a spring pin would break before this strap would fail. For the 20mm and the 22mm the extra kick out adds a nice touch on a Monster or a Tuna.

The BFS spring pin holes are 47mm apart so they are a little on the wide side. I mention this since one thing I see with all size variation is that the minimum wrist size this will fit while attached to the most Seiko watches is 7-1/4" wrist size (Maybe a 7" if you like straps looser) with out adding holes. Since these are slotted and not round that would be a little difficult.
    So for the 20mm, 22mm & 24mm for 7" wrist and above and for less that a 7" wrist.

The feel is very nice and I actually like it as much or better than the one I have for my Panerai that cost 8-10 times as much. The look is exotic/high tech. It sheds water like a duck and can be tailored to the watch it is attached to by stitching color. I give it for feel, look, quality and value. Not bad when a $20 strap can look and feel better than one costing much more. So all as advertised on these accounts.

Overall I am really pleased with it and to prove it I have about 6 more coming in. Nice to have a strap that is both dressy and you can dive without changing it. Just what I was looking for.

Please note I have a 7.5" wrist and I generally wear the straps and bracelets tighter than most people do.

Please note on the above picture I tweaked up the lighting to show the texture and construction better. The thread looks a little brown because of this. Please ignore this, it is very black and matches the strap color.
    Last edited by samanator; February 12th, 2009 at 23:14. Reason: Edited for the 20mm and the 22mm
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

Re: Mini Review: Maratac Elite Series Composite Straps

Nice review, wish I could get that strap for my BFS, but overseas shipping to the Philippines is an iffy business.

Am more intrigued by the watch though. You described it as a custom BFS. Looks like the movement and dial of a SRP027, Seiko's 4r15 Sinn-lookalike was put into a standard BFS case. Very cool! I think it looks a lot better that way as I don't like the crown guard in the SRP027.

Thanks for the cool review! I love your BFS mod, by the way. I'm normally not a fan of having the date at 4 o'clock, but it works really well here.

As for the strap, I just ordered one (orange stitching) for my incoming Orange Monster, and I can't wait to pair them up and see how it turns out.

An informative look. Good looking strap. I like 2 piece. Thanks!
    "You've stolen my heart, yes You have, You've wiped away the stains, broke away the chains, yes You have!" Leeland

Looks awesome,and the mod is hot,,Did you do the mod yourself?
    Mike

Thanks for the review. Nato and Bond straps haven't quite grown on me. But that Maratac Elite looks like it will.

ps nice BFS MOD too.
    Last edited by StanSuarez; February 8th, 2009 at 05:47.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrylb View Post
    Nice review, wish I could get that strap for my BFS, but overseas shipping to the Philippines is an iffy business.

Am more intrigued by the watch though. You described it as a custom BFS. Looks like the movement and dial of a SRP027, Seiko's 4r15 Sinn-lookalike was put into a standard BFS case. Very cool! I think it looks a lot better that way as I don't like the crown guard in the SRP027.
    Please look for the thread BFS Love for details on this mod.
    Michael

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

Yes I did the complete modification. For Info about the mod please search for my thread "BFS Love". The details are there.
    Michael

I got mine in today. These things are very very nice. I just wish Bob was outside of California so I didn't have to pay tax.

The buckle is quite a bit bigger then I thought it would be, but I love the overbuilt look. 20$ well spent.
    Not as clumsy or as random as a cell phone. An elegant timepiece for a more civilized time.

Quote Originally Posted by subrosa View Post
    I got mine in today. These things are very very nice. I just wish Bob was outside of California so I didn't have to pay tax.

The buckle is quite a bit bigger then I thought it would be, but I love the overbuilt look. 20$ well spent.
    Which color did you buy, and what are you throwing it on?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information