WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Monster strap fell apart

3K views 31 replies 21 participants last post by  DenverBuff 
#1 · (Edited)
So, I got my SRP313K2 and absolutely love it so far, unlike my Sarb035 it runs fast (honestly have considered destroying the sarb035 because of it but that's another story... "slow" watches don't deserve to live or be resold they must be regulated... if only I could find a jewler I trust).
Fruit Apple Food Plant Still life photography
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Metal
Auto part Fashion accessory

So as you guys can see one of the links fell out..... Literally I I went to sit down at my desk and the bracelet falls to pieces
Emoticon Yellow Nose Icon Smile

Anyhow, I didn't want to mess around w/ resizing it myself so I had the lady at JC Penny do it (and was so terrified that I asked her to stop and brought it to another jewler in the mall to do it..... she litteraly brought a little hammer out at one point and started whacking it..... I was like WTF!!!!!! STOP NOW! OR I WILL JUMP ACROSS THIS!!! Aparrently she was like, I had to do that to get the link out...... wtf. I was enraged but kept myself in check as she put the bracelet back together sans I link. It needed to be a tad tighter (so I had another jeweler tighten the clasp up for me), she offered to take another link out but I was like......... NO.

She thought I was nuts but said, "Sorry I'm not really trained on this, it's so different than what I'm used to."

----KARMA: I had lied and said I got this as a gift from a "cousin" who had "bought it from a JC Penney in a another state"

The other jeweler set me up (perhaps I should've asked him to check on what the evil b!t_h had done) and that was 2 days ago but this just happened and I can't help but think about the gross incompetence I saw on display. This lady I had been told and heard was a true professional and the only employee who could do more than simply sell you a watch.......... Yeah, I wonder how many other people have been scammed. As I was walking out the store grateful she hadn't totally pulverized my watch like one of the Flintstones, she had the nerve to tell me JC-Penny will fully service any old watches I have........... no thanks I think I'd rather "google it" then trust these mofo's.
This specific JC-Penny store has forever lost my business and if you don't know how to do something just say so.... DO NOT JUST HIT IT WITH A HAMMER!:-|:-|:-|:-|:-|:-|

Anyhow, I wanna make sure I do this "fix" right.

Can any tell me what I should be sure to do and should I worry about the other links falling out?:think:

See less See more
Reactions: BA1970
#4 ·
The stores might have lost the collar. Without the collar the pin won't hold the bracelet tight and it'll come off eventually. If the bracelet came loose then one of the places probably lost it and put it back without it.

A hammer is often used to remove the pin from the bracelet. However one does need a bracelet pin pusher, which is hit by the hammer. Some pin come out with strength alone(which can indicate they are too loose); some need the help of the hammer. No damage should come to the bracelet or watch will come from this.

#5 ·
Well they probably didn't know what they were doing and thpught they were just friction pins or maybe they did but just did it poorly and stretched the collar.

...I do use a little hammer to knock in my pusher tool. Couple of nice good taps.

Since you've never done this you might want to find a watchmaker and not a jeweler or mall person.

There's tons of threads on how to successfully handle pin and collar links. And you can even put in some loctite to secure it once you have a perfect fit. I think the key is to make sure you don't tap too deeply in and get the collar out first.

Good luck

Sent from my LGLS660 using Tapatalk

#8 · (Edited)
Okay, so I'm clearly lacking the 2 collars........... I highly doubt JC-Penny will have it tomorrow. Will, I be able to find one for sale at a jeweler?

EDIT: Alright thanks guys, you've been a lot of help. I've googled a few watchmakers and will bring it in......... next Tuesday when I have a opening in my schedule.

#10 ·
#12 ·
http://www.seikowatches.com/support/customer/northamerica.html

Call Seiko USA at the number in the above link. Have the model number from the back of your watch handy when you call. They will send you up to three free links, pins and collars. I have used this service myself. Good luck.

Sent via Western Union using Tapatalk

#13 ·
bummer... I'm glad now I just searched how to size the band on my shrouded monster myself... I have heard too many stories of people trying to take them someplace and having it ****ed up.

they are actually super easy to work with IF you read up a little on how to do it first...but they are not what many are use to so it gets ****ed up a lot apparently.

#14 ·
The Monster bracelet (along with other Seiko and Citizen ones that use a pin and collar) is a pain to size and adjust. It's not uncommon for someone to think they have it done right and then see a pin fall out a day later. Personally now I tend to wear my Seiko's on rubber straps and natos because I really don't have the inclination anymore to try and size those bracelets after making a mess of the job a couple of times. But if you do try and adjust the bracelet yourself make sure you follow one of the guides above. Once you have it in your head how the pin and collar system work as opposed to a friction pin it makes it easier to do.

#19 ·
Thanks guys, I sent an e-mail to Seiko w/ a picture. Just waiting on a response now.

Also, JC-Penny told me that's a risk I take by using their "service." (As in they're too busy eating in the break room to a few minutes and look. So...... probably won't be going back there for a while.

#20 ·
Just spend a few dollars buying some basic tools and do the strap changes yourself. So much easier than going out and finding someone competent to do it for you. Plus, you get the added bonus of fiddling with your watches a bit more!

Seriously, with just a spring bar tool, watching a few of the videos/guides posted here, and some patience, you can take care of most of your bracelet resizing needs.

#23 ·
He slow is the sarb running? Have you considered having it regulated?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
About 7-10 seconds a day. I have a busy schedule but I've considered seeing how much a watchmaker might charge for it. If it was 7-10 seconds fast I probably wouldn't care much........ but slow drives me insane. I set the watch every time before I wear it (10 seconds ahead). But if I don't the next day then it's behind.

#24 ·
I'm too lazy to read all these replies, but I hope someone called you a jerk. I use a hammer frequently to adjust my bracelets along with a pin pusher, often it's necessary. You're too lazy to watch a 2 minute YouTube video to learn how to adjust the bracelet yourself, but you'll insult the heck out of someone who is actually trying to do it correctly?

Weak, dude.

#26 ·
So the OP lies and tells the gal at JC Penney that the watch was bought there . . . and then *****es when she's never seen a pin and collar system before and goofs the job.

Calling anybody at the local JC Penney jewelry counter a "watch professional" is like calling the kid in the mens department a "haberdasher". She was probably the only gal in the place that had ever sized a watch band. My Mom manned the jewelry counter at Penney's for 20 years. Asking her to size a Seiko Monster would be like asking her to work the particle accelerator at CERN. Love me some JC Penney - good deals, nice people, very good to my Mom.

But I'd never ask them to size a Monster bracelet with so many other watch professionals in town. The internet is flush with horror stories with people losing those collars. Those Seiko bracelets are rare in the US retail world - doesn't surprise me she never saw one before. A lot of watch pros have never seen one of those before.

I wouldn't ask the teenager at Grease Monkey to repair my BMW. And I wouldn't ask the nice lady at the JC Penney watch counter - or my Mom - to size a Monster.

#28 ·
So the OP lies and tells the gal at JC Penney that the watch was bought there . . . and then *****es when she's never seen a pin and collar system before and goofs the job.

Calling anybody at the local JC Penney jewelry counter a "watch professional" is like calling the kid in the mens department a "haberdasher". She was probably the only gal in the place that had ever sized a watch band. My Mom manned the jewelry counter at Penney's for 20 years. Asking her to size a Seiko Monster would be like asking her to work the particle accelerator at CERN. Love me some JC Penney - good deals, nice people, very good to my Mom.

But I'd never ask them to size a Monster bracelet with so many other watch professionals in town. The internet is flush with horror stories with people losing those collars. Those Seiko bracelets are rare in the US retail world - doesn't surprise me she never saw one before. A lot of watch pros have never seen one of those before.

I wouldn't ask the teenager at Grease Monkey to repair my BMW. And I wouldn't ask the nice lady at the JC Penney watch counter - or my Mom - to size a Monster.
Dear god, it was a small town not Denver, CO. There are no watchmakers there. They claim themselves to be professionals.

Did I lie about where I bought it, yes. Do I suspect karma had to do w/ it, sure. Did I buy my Nighthawk from them in the past and ask them to resize it because I was in town till late at night and wanted to wear it that day before I drove an hour home, yes. Was I told they would charge me $10 because they don't deal w/ JC Penny internet sales, yes.

So, it is my fault. However, to act like I'm some overtly rude individual who went in there to pick a fight is not a fair assessment either.

I neither raised my voice nor spoke in a demeaning manner towards her, I did post how I felt though and I did ask what she was doing when she started going at it w/ the hammer.
Also, I did state this was bit more complex than a regular watch, which I get didn't mean much to the person behind the counter.

All she had to say was I can't even get the link out, I'm not sure I'm comfortably doing this, I'd prefer not to if you get the gist, etc.

As for your Mom, I'm sure she's a great person and meant no personal offence to her.

#31 ·
Fact is most people in a shops with watches are actually just sales people. You should learn some basic skills it's worth it. I just adjusted the bracelet on my new SBDC033 pin and collar. Collar got stretched but a little squeeze with some pliers fixed it and now it's back in place and the strap adjusted.

I highly suggest picking up and old mechanical watch and take apart to see how it's been put together you don't have to disassemble the movement but you could take it out of the case or regulate it etc. It's surprising how accurate you can get them but learning about the quality of manafacture assembly and materials makes us more informed save us money and more appriciative if these wonderful machines.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.