Movement swap for SNZG
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Jasontang

Thread: Movement swap for SNZG

Movement swap for SNZG

Hello,

I am new here, just want to share my movement swap on my SNZG.

I have a SNZG17J1 with 7S36B, last year I smashed the crystal in the bathroom. While repairing it I messed up the hairspring as well making the watch useless.

This year I bought a NH36A, and trying to give my SNZG a new heart and let it beat again.

What I planned to do is to swap in the NH36A with date and day wheel of 7S36B installed, because I wanted to maintain a stealthy look of the SNZG.

Name:  Seiko (2) (640x427).jpg
Views: 403
Size:  226.2 KB
    Both movements are 3:00 movement and should be a easy operation.

Thanks to Nicholas Hacko’s repair guide I disassembled both movement without much problem.

Name:  Seiko (1) (640x427).jpg
Views: 383
Size:  197.7 KB
    I put on the 7S36B’s date and day wheel, they both worked well until I put on the original dial and found the date wheel is misaligned (the day wheel is fine and aligned perfectly).

Name:  Seiko (5) (640x427).jpg
Views: 387
Size:  224.3 KB
    After a closer look at the printed numbers and the tooth, I found that the positions of these 2 date wheels are different.

Name:  Seiko (3) (640x427).jpg
Views: 376
Size:  238.8 KB
    I tried to swap the date jumper as well, but the positioning pin and screw hole of 7S36B and NH36A is different. (But I guess a 7SX6C’s may work)

I also thought of file down the date jumper a bit to make it work, but I’m not confident enough to do that. I was afraid I would ruin this new movement again. So I decided to live with the white/white day and date wheel setup.

Name:  Seiko_007 (640x427).jpg
Views: 376
Size:  146.4 KB
    However, after seeing the newer Seiko military series SRP275, I found that looks ok to have a black day wheel and a white date wheel.

And here's the watch after assembly.
    Name:  Seiko (16) (1024x683).jpg
Views: 334
Size:  220.1 KB
    Last edited by Jasontang; August 5th, 2014 at 14:29. Reason: Assembled pic added
    Eielson, m0tty, tkdwarrior and 1 others like this.

Re: Movement swap for SNZG

Nice work! I like the black day, white date combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    Nice work! I like the black day, white date combo.
    Thanks Eielson

Did the original stem work or did you use another?

Quote Originally Posted by sotroof View Post
    Did the original stem work or did you use another?
    No, the 7S36 stem cannot work on the NH36 movement because NH36 has more gear to do the hand winding and hacking (you can see in the left movement in the fourth picture).

However, the thread size of both stems are the same. So I use a pin vise to clamp the square part of the 7S36 stem and twist the crown off the stem, then I use very little bit of super glue to screw the crown onto the NH36 stem.
    (The NH36 stem was supplied with the movement from the seller.)

7s and the 4r uses a different stem.
    needs a swap too.
    Like me ! Like me !

Visit my BLOG.

Any ideas on which is the most suitable donor watch to get the appropriate stem length and all black day/date wheel?

Quote Originally Posted by sotroof View Post
    Any ideas on which is the most suitable donor watch to get the appropriate stem length and all black day/date wheel?
    Stem:
    As long as your original crown can be separated from the original stem, you should be able to use the original crown with the NH36A stem. My movement included a new stem with extra length on the threaded part, so i just need to cut it to the right length and had a bit filing then there's no problem to fit the original 7S36B crown on it. However, if yours is a screw down type like SKX series, you may need other solutions.

Day/date wheel:
    As you can see the day wheel of 7S36B has no alignment problem, so you can use that. The date wheel is not.
    I have a look of another disassemble walkthrough here. (Seiko watch movement, Part 3 | q-m.org) And guess that the date wheel on the 7S26C movement may match the tooth on NH36. And I believe there are more parts on C movement able to be shared with NH36A.

So I think 7S26C or 7S36C is the movement you should look for.

Thread Information