My first mechanical just arrived - photos!

Thread: My first mechanical just arrived - photos!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    DavidSeattleWA

My first mechanical just arrived - photos!

Just received my first mechanical watch and thought I'd share some photos. Seiko SARB035. I ordered through Chino Watch in Tokyo. Outstanding customer service and shockingly fast delivery time (Tokyo to Seattle, WA in less than 6 days). I would order from them again in a heartbeat. They reply to e-mail quickly and even gave me a scanned copy of my receipt when they sent my tracking number. They really do it right - very pleased

I really like the SARB035 although I'm finding that it's not going to be the most versatile watch as far as dressing it up or down. This is definitely more on the dressy side. Probably because of the silver/off-white dial. It's still a beautiful watch. Classy, conservative, and understated. I just won't have the versatility that I would with a sportier, black dial watch. But that's next on my shopping list

So, the world of mechanical watches are brand new to me. Mine appears to have the self-winding feature and it looks like the second hand does stop when you pull the crown out to the second stop (hack feature?). Since setting the watch last night against www.time.gov, my watch seems to have stepped on the gas pedal a bit ... I'm about 7 seconds ahead of the official time I set it to. From everything I've read on here about accuracy drift, 7 seconds seems pretty normal. I told myself when I bought this watch that I'd be prepared for this and willing to accept the trade off in order to enjoy the "neat" factor of owning an automatic. I read somewhere on here that depending on how you rest your watch when you're not wearing it can help to either slow it down a bit or speed it up a bit. Can someone give me a little refresher on that method?

Also, I'm a little confused on how to wind this watch manually using the crown ... I'm paranoid about over winding it and breaking something. Mine appears to be the non screw-down crown. I'm guessing that you simply turn the crown forward (clockwise) while it's pushed all the way in and that winds it? How do you know when to stop winding?

So there you have it ... my first mechanical.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by DavidSeattleWA; May 5th, 2009 at 19:59.

Re: My first mechanical just arrived - photos!

Great watch! This is the one I've had my eyes on for some time now. To manually wind, make sure the crown is pushed all the way in, and then simply turn the crown clockwise. You can't overwind it because, from reading about it here many times, it has a special built-in protector--sort like slipper clutch. On my 6R15 I manually wind it every now and then, and usually wind it about 20 spins.

Question: Can you tell us if the dial color is cream, because in the pictures it's hard to tell. Or is it simply white?

Great choice for your first mechanical watch, David. Congrats! Regarding the timekeeping, I'd recommend that you just enjoy the watch for a little while before worrying too much about accuracy. Once the movement breaks in and you have a regular wear pattern established, you can get a better idea of exactly where it stands. If you want to play around with different positions when you're not wearing it, just check it against a reliable timesource and place it in one of the different possible positions (crown up/down, dial up/down). Come back and check it later and make a note of how much time it gained or lost during the rest period. You should be able to find a position that will help correct the drift that occurs when it's on the wrist. And don't worry about overwinding the watch, as there is a clutch that will slip and keep you from breaking the movement. Generally it takes about 30-50 full turns of the crown to fully wind a movement. This is also important with respect to the timekeeping, since mechanical movements usually run faster as the power reserve depletes. So before doing any detailed accuracy testing, make sure the watch is fully would so you get the best performance.

Oh, and you mentioned dressing down the watch to make it more casual. Try a brown strap with white stitching & that should help. I wear my white BFS on a Hirsh Liberty & it gives it a whole different look than a black strap or bracelet.

Regards,

Gabe

DavidSeattleWA

I feel tension on the crown and hear a faint clicking noise when I gently try to turn it clockwise. Almost as if it's telling me that it's fully wound already and don't turn me anymore. Is there supposed to be some tension there when you turn it, or is it supposed to turn more freely? I just don't want to break it.

On the color. Ok, I struggled with this too when I was viewing pics of it online just like you. And to tell you the truth, having it in hand, I'm still struggling with what color it is! It's odd - it seems to change a bit depending on the lighting and the room you're standing in etc. I see it as a platinum/light silver'ish/creamy color ... if that makes any sense whatsoever? Haha. The platinum/silver'ish description is probably the best I can describe it. I definitely don't see it as off-white or beige or anything in that spectrum. One thing's for sure, it's very classy and conservative. I was thinking it would be almost to the point of "boring" but it's not. It's really a nice watch. Like I said, classy and understated sums up this watch best.

Quote Originally Posted by powerband View Post
    Great watch! This is the one I've had my eyes on for some time now. To manually wind, make sure the crown is pushed all the way in, and then simply turn the crown clockwise. You can't overwind it because, from reading about it here many times, it has a special built-in protector--sort like slipper clutch. On my 6R15 I manually wind it every now and then, and usually wind it about 20 spins.

Question: Can you tell us if the dial color is cream, because in the pictures it's hard to tell. Or is it simply white?

DavidSeattleWA

Thanks. Gabe. I would like to find myself a nice leather strap (or several) to have as an option for this watch. It's really amazing how the overall look of a watch can change so dramatically simply by swapping out the bracelet or strap.

I'm not stressing about the accuracy. I was really just curious to see how it was doing against the clock. I'll experiment with setting it down in different positions like you said. Last night I just had it sitting with the dial facing up.

I have a feeling this will take some time getting to know the watch and how it behaves. I guess that's part of the fun of an automatic though, right?

Quote Originally Posted by OnTimeGabe View Post
    Great choice for your first mechanical watch, David. Congrats! Regarding the timekeeping, I'd recommend that you just enjoy the watch for a little while before worrying too much about accuracy. Once the movement breaks in and you have a regular wear pattern established, you can get a better idea of exactly where it stands. If you want to play around with different positions when you're not wearing it, just check it against a reliable timesource and place it in one of the different possible positions (crown up/down, dial up/down). Come back and check it later and make a note of how much time it gained or lost during the rest period. You should be able to find a position that will help correct the drift that occurs when it's on the wrist. And don't worry about overwinding the watch, as there is a clutch that will slip and keep you from breaking the movement. Generally it takes about 30-50 full turns of the crown to fully wind a movement. This is also important with respect to the timekeeping, since mechanical movements usually run faster as the power reserve depletes. So before doing any detailed accuracy testing, make sure the watch is fully would so you get the best performance.

Oh, and you mentioned dressing down the watch to make it more casual. Try a brown strap with white stitching & that should help. I wear my white BFS on a Hirsh Liberty & it gives it a whole different look than a black strap or bracelet.

DavidSeattleWA

The other thing that takes a little getting used to is the noises you hear with this watch (or any auto, I would imagine). Mostly I'm referring to that big half-circle thing that rotates around ... is that called the oscillator? I think that's what is making the noise. It's a faint sound .. almost sounds like there's a grain of sand or something loose inside but I'm quite sure I'm just hearing the movement itself. Also, you can hear this guy ticking if you hold it to your ear. Neat stuff!

Congratulations! Simple yet stylish...

Suspended

That's a great looking watch, David. Clean, classic design that will always be popular.

I think this watch has plenty of opportunity in the casual collection. OK, maybe not plastic resin watch casual, but certainly looks good with jeans or even nice shorts.

DavidSeattleWA

I think so, too!

Quote Originally Posted by kiwidj View Post
    Congratulations! Simple yet stylish...

Hi david. It's me again. I've always wound my watch when it's out of juice, and give it a good twenty full spin. I have never felt increased tension, or free-play, of any kind. The reason is: 20 spins are enough to get the watch rolling and the full charge comes from wearing it. I read on here that the manual winding mechanism on the 6R15 is delicate and it might be better to use it conservatively to prevent excessive strain and stress.

Thanks for the confirmation on the dial color. I had suspected that, even though it was written on some sellers' websites, the cream-colored dial might not be the case. It is still an absolutely gorgeous watch and remains at the top of my want list!

Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information