Need Assist With Finding Right Seiko For Daily Wear

Thread: Need Assist With Finding Right Seiko For Daily Wear

Need Assist With Finding Right Seiko For Daily Wear

So many models, difficult to figure out which one, but am looking for a daily wear that can take some abuse, including water resistance (but don't want a large diver). Most important is I'd like a Seiko with a clean face, arabic numerals, and not too big, i.e. comfortable, and a new watch (not used). 40mm or under would be great, don't want some giant clam on my wrist. Quartz is fine -- the less I have to mess around with it, the better.

After that, would also like to have black dial, date function, decent lume, and maybe a countdown/stopwatch function. Don't need anything else, and again, need a clean dial that's easy to read, not cluttered with tons of lines and numbers, so I'll cut the features for a cleaner watch.

Now one model, the SNZG17J1, seemed close to what I was looking for. Yet, when I go to Seiko's website, I can't find that model. Why is that? Hence I guess a corollary question is, what is a good place to see all the current Seikos that are available, and if the SNZG17J1 isn't available any longer, is there a current model that's close to it?

Price, doesn't really matter as long as it's under $1k. Thanks for the assistance.

Re: Need Assist With Finding Right Seiko For Daily Wear

I have the SNZG17 and it's about 42mm in diameter without measuring the crown. It's a Seiko 5 series, which is marketed in the far east and middle east, which is why it's not on the website. It's also automatic so you will have to wear it fairly often to keep it running. I got mine on eBay, but there are other online retailers from Singapore and Hong Kong with this watch.

On a side note, take a look at this on from Seiya-

SeiyaJapan | Grand Seiko | G-Shock | Seiko Spirit | Prospex | Marinemaster | Citizen | SEIKO Spirit Military Quartz SBCA001 SS

The SNZG17 is a fine choice for an automatic Seiko watch - large clean dial, reliable mechanism and Seiko reputation.
    In addition to that I would recommend to look at the following watches (mostly Citizen though as opposed to Seiko) -
    - Seiko SRP027 / SRP013 / SRP015 (may be larger than you want, but have big hands and clean dial)
    - Citizen BM8180 (Eco-drive, military style, 37mm)
    - Citizen BM8475 (Eco-drive, military style, 42mm)
    - Citizen BM7080 (Eco-drive, titanium, sapphire)
    - Citizen NP4020 (Automatic, sapphire)
    - Citizen BV1060 (Eco-drive, small second hand)
    - Citizen BM6400 (Eco-drive, military, 200m water resistance, 41mm)

All these are well below $500.
    Best wishes,
    Oleg C.

Those are great recs. Is Citizen reliable, esp. Eco-drive? Will they last as long and be as rugged as Seiko?

As far as I know, Citizens are reliable watches. Now if you're working construction or always beating on your watches I'd go with a Seiko diver's watch. But if all you're doing is desk diving and occasionally knock it on a door frame or desk then Citizen should serve you just fine. The Eco Drive technology seems to have stood the test of time (pun intended) so far. There's no reason to shy away from Citizen watches as a solid daily wear watch. I wouldn't wear one as a beater though.

I would suggest checking out the SARB line, especially the ones that come with sapphire crystals, which I think a little more durable (i.e. scratch resistant) and suited for daily wear. They are nice clean designs, and the right size, but may not have the Arabic numerals you are looking for. For example: SeiyaJapan | Grand Seiko | G-Shock | Seiko Spirit | Prospex | Marinemaster | Citizen | SEIKO Automatic Alpinist SARB015
    In reverse order of acquisition: ROLEX Explorer I / SEIKO SRP775 Turtle Reissue / SEIKO 6139-6002 "Pogue" (blue dial) / SEIKO 6105-8119 / NOMOS Zurich / OMEGA Speedmaster 3750.50 / SEIKO 6106 Sea Lion / OMEGA Aqua Terra 2503.33 / SEIKO Orange Monster / OMEGA 1959 cal. 500 Seamaster / LONGINES tank c. 1940s

Name:  IMG_0233.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  77.2 KB
    try a SARB017 alpinist.

Thread Information