New Arrival: Seiko 5 with 4R36 hack/hand winding movement
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: New Arrival: Seiko 5 with 4R36 hack/hand winding movement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New Arrival: Seiko 5 with 4R36 hack/hand winding movement

Hey all, just wanted to share some pictures of a new arrival. This is a Seiko 5 Sports watch (SRP165K1) with the 4R36 movement that hacks and hand winds. I was pretty excited about this one, because although I liked a lot of other Seikos with the the 7s movement, I could never really warm to them because lack of hand winding is kind of a deal breaker for me. So far I'm really enjoying this one, and I'm really looking forward to the 4Rx hack/hand wind movements making their way through Seiko's less expensive models.

I've had a few other Seiko 5 Sports models, and this one is about the same regarding fit and finish. There are some obvious indications that this is a less expensive watch: the crown is not signed, and the end links are hollow, which is to be expected for the price. I have been very pleasantly surprised by the dial, which is more of a slate grey and not black. It's matte with a very slight sunburst effect at certain angles. I also really like the case, which has wide lugs and has more of an overall cushion shape. The movement finishing is pretty nice, but nothing spectacular. The lume glows like a torch, and the watch fits very comfortably on my 6.5 inch wrist.

Lastly, I know there have been some concerns about accuracy with these 4R hacking/hand winding movements. Right now my watch is running about +7s per day, after about two weeks.

As always, I am impressed with what Seiko can deliver for about $150.

Please pardon the dust in the pictures!
    Attached Images Attached Images           
    lucduc, CitizenM and serdal23 like this.
    Cheers,
    Greg

Re: New Arrival: Seiko 5 with 4R36 hack/hand winding movement

It looks to fit really well on your wrist. Enjoy!

Im gonna hold out to see if they come out with a SKX007 replacement with the 4R36.
    Would love to have a 200M screw in crown with arrow hands and 120 click besel using the 4R36.
    GregoryD, Milanche78 and serdal23 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    Im gonna hold out to see if they come out with a SKX007 replacement with the 4R36.
    Would love to have a 200M screw in crown with arrow hands and 120 click besel using the 4R36.
    I'm right there with you. There's no doubt in my mind that it will happen, just a matter of when.
    Cheers,
    Greg

Very cool. I'm jealous. Enjoy it!

Nice. Love the affordable, hacking movement.

Funny, I've gotten so used to shaking my Seikos to start them, I usually do the same for all my watches and rarely hand wind my Swiss pieces.
    Hand winding almost feels odd.
    marksmadsen likes this.

I love the addition of handwinding. I've preferred Orient's entry level calibres for awhile now, they just seemed more accurate and trouble free on average, but this is really the future. What's the power reserve on these?

If they'll make a high-beat version, this thing will be able to go toe-to-toe with ETA competitors costing sometimes 20 times as much (IWCs and Breitlings).
    serdal23 likes this.

Great looking watch. I have an Invicta with a Seiko NH35A hacking, hand winding movement and it is very accurate. I would like to see that movement in more Seiko watches.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenM View Post
    I love the addition of handwinding. I've preferred Orient's entry level calibres for awhile now, they just seemed more accurate and trouble free on average, but this is really the future. What's the power reserve on these?
    I'm pretty sure the power reserve is 40hrs, although I haven't tested it myself. This is less than the 7s (42hrs) and 4R15 (50hrs), although I suppose it's less of an issue since you can wind it at any time. My understanding is that the reduced power reserve is due to the use of a different mainspring in these new movements.
    Cheers,
    Greg

From what i understood the 4R15 was a 6R15 with the hacking lever and hand winding bridge removed.

And the 4R3X were basicly 6R15 with the escapement and mainspring off the 7S series. meaning that general accuracy and power reserve should be in line with the 7S series.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information