WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

New Citizen Promaster Professional Diver BN0151-09L some pics

1M views 4K replies 612 participants last post by  maliboo74 
#1 · (Edited)
Just came in today.

Citizen BN0151-09L

Case: It's about 42mm (top of the bezel)/44mm (bottom) due to its slant bezel.

Lug tip to lug tip: 49mm (inside the lug)/47mm (outside of the lug)

Lug width: 20mm

Case thickness: 12mm

Some Q&D pics

The dial color is almost the same as that of the blue Sumo or the Bond SMP. The polyurethane strap is just like the one which comes with the BN0000-04H, but it feels more pliable.

Bezel action is clicky and crisp with a little backplay (60-click).

The case is mostly brushed. I think it's very nicely done. The signed crown is a nice touch as well.

Caseback

Mostly brushed as well.

Lume shot

Blue except the green 12 o'clock lume pip.

I've tried a couple of different straps and bracelets so far as you guys might have noticed already.

1). Deep blue NATO

2). Navy x orange x white striped NATO

3). Olive NATO

4). Obris Morgan natural rubber strap

5). Shark mesh

I like all the options I've tried so far. My favorite is a shark mesh atm.

I think it's a good looking no-nonsense diver's watch. It feels solid and well-made.

See less See more
#1,591 ·
Re: SKX Case vs BN0151-09L Comparision Shots

I didn't think it would look good at all. I rather like it as an option. I ordered polished keepers because the strap is for the Orange Seiko Solar Monster (which has lots of polished bits.) Other than that, not bad. I do think a white dial still looks best on this strap color combo. More pics to follow when my 22mm straps show for the Skyhawk, and the SNE109 arrives.

#1,595 ·

Blue and Black Primes with Skyhawk (dark Khaki/acu Green/grey zulus PVD Black keepers) I love both options on the Skyhawk. Sun is very bright, so both look lighter- I added the indoor Khaki pic for reference. Black Prime is on a calfskin brown leather. Fashion accessory Watch Jewellery Analog watch Silver
Watch Fashion accessory Jewellery Analog watch Watch accessory
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Wrist

#1,597 ·

I do like the Skyhawk better on black hardware zulus, maybe because the bezel does ask for some black... something. The bracelet is a bit too elaborate for my tastes.

...now go and take that poor black prime out of that awful, awful thing of a leather zulu strap!! :-d (I know, I know!! But leather on divers is something that really gets to me!)

#1,606 ·

I do like the Skyhawk better on black hardware zulus, maybe because the bezel does ask for some black... something. The bracelet is a bit too elaborate for my tastes.

...now go and take that poor black prime out of that awful, awful thing of a leather zulu strap!! :-d (I know, I know!! But leather on divers is something that really gets to me!)
LOL. You'd hate the long on going thread, "Show me your diver on leather" on the DWF.

#1,599 ·

You are right, and I suspected I was right when I ordered the zulus, the Skyhawk bezel begs for black keepers to match. The dark khaki is growing on me fast. It's a very rich color. As for that leather on the Black Prime, I take no offense. I wore it like that today . . . I thought it might grow on me, but it has not. Black Prime is headed back to the black/grey bond, or maybe the Le Mans (at least until the solar starfish arrives.) I still need to figure out something for Dad's watch. I don't think he'll go for a brown croc- he's not a leather guy. I'm thinking Excalibur on SS for Dads Day, and some type of two piece nylon for his old AT0100.

#1,600 ·

Since I've changed the damn clasp I've wearing the Excalibur a lot more. It's a great watch and in many respects it looks and feels something much higher up than the Prime. But mind that some of those things might be a problem... It's pretty heavy, probably because of the very good bracelet. It also wears quite big but you said your father has large wrists.

#1,601 ·

The weight is going to be notably heavier. Dad's wrists are amazingly large. I tried to move his AT0100 to a two piece I had laying around, so he wouldn't risk breaking his bracelet and the watch crashing to the ground . . . he couldn't afix it using the very last hole. The Excalibur's OEM with the extender would fix all that. The length of the clasp wouldn't come into play at all.

#1,607 ·

Well still no luck finding the watch in Canada despite Citizen telling me it would be available in May. Not one single retailer stocks it and all of them who I contact say they can't get it or its discontinued. The one Canadian retailer who said they can get the watch wants $375 CND which is too much (the $199 U.S. price I've found is only about $240 CND). I've also tried ordering it from 3 authorized dealers in the states (for as cheap as $199) and all of them said they weren't allowed to ship Citizen watches to Canada. So the Canucks are screwed yet again. Love how NAFTA works but only if you are an American.

I know I could order this from dutyfreeisland or similar site but I want mine with the 5 year warranty. Guess I have to wait until I'm in the U.S. again in a few years. No prime for me. :(

#1,608 ·

NAFTA doesn't have anything to do with it, the US Authorized Dealers are restricted by Citizen- they don't want the 5 year warranty exported. Are you looking for a Blue or a Black? I haven't seen black available in the states from an authorized dealer yet. If you know someone in the states, couldn't you ship to them, and then have them ship to you as a gift?

#1,618 · (Edited)

NAFTA doesn't have anything to do with it, the US Authorized Dealers are restricted by Citizen- they don't want the 5 year warranty exported. Are you looking for a Blue or a Black? I haven't seen black available in the states from an authorized dealer yet. If you know someone in the states, couldn't you ship to them, and then have them ship to you as a gift?
The blue one is nicer and is the one I'm looking for.

Canada gets the same 5 year warranty, even if we buy from a U.S. dealer? So why prohibit us dealers from shipping to Canada?

Canadian Citizen 5 Year Warranty:

"Valid for purchases made only in the Canada, United States and Caribbean from Citizen Watch Company of Canada Authorized Retailers as well as Citizen Watch Company of Canada Authorized Duty Free and Military Dealers.

The Five Year Limited Warranty will be honoured only by Service Centres in Canada, the United States, and the Caribbean. Service Centres located in other parts of the world will only provide warranty service for the first year."

#1,624 ·
So I guess the best solution to the "large" ratchet clasp is to use another 20mm clasp in its place? It's a shame that the clasp is so long because it is otherwise a very nice and solid bracelet.

I wonder when someone will try to fit some regular 20mm oyster end links to it and see what fits.......

#1,625 · (Edited)
So I guess the best solution to the "large" ratchet clasp is to use another 20mm clasp in its place? It's a shame that the clasp is so long because it is otherwise a very nice and solid bracelet.

Yes and no... yes, it is a solution and I can't really work metals to come up with a "redux" version of the original clasp; no, the original clasp is actually 18mm so that the bulging sides align with the 20mm links - you know, clasps are larger than the links so that they can fit. That's why there isn't microadjustement on the original one and you end up with a bit of space on side that doesn't have the clasp part with the 20mm replacement. A bit of squeezing in with some needle pliers sorts a bit of that issue.

It's not the perfect solution but I'm way happier with it now than when it was on its original clasp. It's bad luck but I had it too lose for my wrist because taking another link out would mean me not being able to close the bracelet or garrotte my left hand :-(

#1,626 ·
I give up... I was searching for the Prime on a SE2 and can't find a single photo. Guys, I think we've hallucinated it. But if you google it, you'll find one of those Deep Blue/Divex/Apex/Poseidon 1000m on such a bracelet and even on that watch it seems overkill. The Prime is a lot thinner so I'm pretty sure it wouldn't look right. You might be fooled by frontal pictures but the links are too thick - 4.6mm according to strapcode.

There, just saved you guys some money. :-d

#1,629 ·
My blue iso arrived from Austria a day early.

Some quick shots.

Next to an OM. Much darker blue and you can see it has more holes.

Finally wrist shots. I'm on the second hole.
That looks very, very good, congrats! I like that dark blue much better!

Do you get a lot of tail? (not dirty talk, mind...). Seems fairly long... And it has that vanilla smell, doesn't it?

Oh, and remember those rubber/cordura/sailcloth DiModell straps, will you? I would love to see how those go but not on my dime :-d

#1,632 ·
Hey Dan, not particularly softer than the OM. Maybe just a bit more pliable, which offers very nice fit in fact. It's Hypoallergenic as well. I think it's made of some sort of rubber compound (not 100% natural rubber).

Reactions: dan55
#1,633 ·
Oh, and cutouts are much cleaner than the OM's.

If I had a larger than 7.25" wrist, I would be totally fine with the OM though.

BTW, OM is an Asian company, right? I just don't get why they didn't put more holes on it considering Asian people have smaller wrist. LOL....

Reactions: dan55
#1,634 ·
BTW, OM is an Asian company, right? I just don't get why they didn't put more holes on it considering Asian people have smaller wrist. LOL....
Ah, but that's the thing with Asian watch companies... they are located there but their market is the west. They imagine we all love huge watches and have huge wrists. I've also seen pictures of Asian-Chinese-HK people that think it's cool to walk around with a 47mm Radiomir on a 6 inch wrist... But then again, I never got the appeal of using trousers 5x bigger than your size, unless you regularly go and nick stuff from stores. I should obviously shut up now as I'm plainly aware I'm rapidly becoming an old fart and am this close to start shouting to kids to get off the bloody lawn.

#1,635 ·
I bet OM revises their straps in the near future. I don't mind paying extra $10 or more. Right now it's less than $20 including international shipping. That's a great price. Just not for smaller wrists.

#1,637 ·
Seiko SNE109 Orange Solar Monster Starfish has arrived! I won't get a chance to tinker with it until tomorrow. I did set the time/day/date. Immediate impression . . . like the size, large amount of polished areas (the entire case.) Pics will follow, probably tomorrow. Gonna see how it looks on the Le Mans nato. Hiro- I like your new band.

#1,638 ·
Curious to see that one although I suspect it's one of those watches that don't come across all that well through pics. A lot of people swear they're great and every time I see one on a forum I struggle to make up my mind and nothing comes out of it. I think it's mainly the bezel that makes me go into defensive mode because, otherwise, it's a pretty conservative design. Even the polished case is the way a lot of vintage divers were made.

#1,640 ·
My two hang ups with the watch when looking at pictures . . . #1 The Orange Dial- Seiko's translucent solar material for the dial leaves the orange looking rather drab or washed out (especially compared to an automatic monster.) #2 Same as you, I think the bezel is odd. In some photos the "starfish" top area dominates the overall look, but in other photos much less so (lighting? camera angle?) Regardless, I've circled around purchasing one of these for the past two years, and I've wanted an orange faced diver since I saw the original aqualand duplex in orange. Figured I'd give it a go- nothing like having it on your wrist to make your decision. Price was great, full US warranty, so I could move it pretty easily.

#1,642 ·
My two hang ups with the watch when looking at pictures . . . #1 The Orange Dial- Seiko's translucent solar material for the dial leaves the orange looking rather drab or washed out (especially compared to an automatic monster.)
A lot of orange dials are more a lime orange thing than really orange. I find even the Monster lacking on that regard. Hiro mentioned an orange dialed Amphibia before and those are really orange, they use iridescent paint. I guess the other obvious candidate is the Doxa, and I think the orange Orient Ray is also a strong contestant.

#1,643 ·
I really tried to like my Obris Morgan on the prime but the kicker for me was that smell.....I admit I am somewhat sensitive to odd smells, really obnoxious women's perfume, some plastics made in China, etc... I found it a stretch to call it "Vanilla." I did like the styling of it but would have liked the keepers to have been a harder rubber. Man, I swear it took me
30 seconds to secure the darn thing....I went back to the original strap for now.

#1,644 ·
If you guys don't mind a black one, there's a couple of cool options on Timefactors. There's the retro/Isofrane alike and the new "waffle" and vented options.

I was looking at those nice Seiko MM rubber straps yesterday and I always liked the look of them but... not only are they as long as a regular Z Seiko strap, it was extremely hot hear today. I don't think I would be wearing rubber under this heat. Bracelets also get very hot. I must resign to the Cordura/textile once and for all as the best all round option by far, I just which there were more options.

I think the Prime could easily handle these velcro straps: https://www.watchuseek.com/f74/strap-code-miltat-velcro-honeycomb-strap-reviews-1044773.html

ZASKAR36 apparently owns one, so he could tell us more. Watchobsession has more colour options: Velcro Watch Straps - WatchObsession