WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

New Citizen Promaster Professional Diver BN0151-09L some pics

1M views 4K replies 612 participants last post by  maliboo74 
#1 · (Edited)
Just came in today.

Citizen BN0151-09L

Case: It's about 42mm (top of the bezel)/44mm (bottom) due to its slant bezel.

Lug tip to lug tip: 49mm (inside the lug)/47mm (outside of the lug)

Lug width: 20mm

Case thickness: 12mm

Some Q&D pics

The dial color is almost the same as that of the blue Sumo or the Bond SMP. The polyurethane strap is just like the one which comes with the BN0000-04H, but it feels more pliable.

Bezel action is clicky and crisp with a little backplay (60-click).

The case is mostly brushed. I think it's very nicely done. The signed crown is a nice touch as well.

Caseback

Mostly brushed as well.

Lume shot

Blue except the green 12 o'clock lume pip.

I've tried a couple of different straps and bracelets so far as you guys might have noticed already.

1). Deep blue NATO

2). Navy x orange x white striped NATO

3). Olive NATO

4). Obris Morgan natural rubber strap

5). Shark mesh

I like all the options I've tried so far. My favorite is a shark mesh atm.

I think it's a good looking no-nonsense diver's watch. It feels solid and well-made.

See less See more
#1,656 ·
No but was this close to buy one when a couple of NOS ones showed up on ebay.it. In the end I didn't went for it because it's almost a very boring Sub homage (well, opinions may vary) and it's an old model, something that looks from the beginning of the ecodrive technology, so at the time my reasoning was that the module in those could be not as as reliable as it is today.

#1,657 ·
Has the same textured face material as the BN0000 -the waffle thing. Great looking watch IMO- and yes very Sub-like. NOS (box and tags) available on the bay (US) at around $125. Wonder how much of it's life was spent inside the box?

We're you referring to more pics of my SNE109?

#1,658 ·
Yes I was, more picture please!!

As to the Citizen, I wouldn't be too concerned about it being stuck in a box. It's a quartz, it hasn't been charging and discharging, should be fine! And I should have mentioned that I already own a sub homage - Steinhart Ocean One with the black bezel - so that sort of played into my decision not to get one. Otherwise, I think it's a nice bracelet watch that could be used pretty much for anything - from sports to a more dressy situation.

The waffle dial is part of my reasoning for dating it as an earlier ecodrive. They all used to be like that, I think they work as prisms that enhance the surface of light capture - sort of like the villi in your intestines that greatly enhance the contact surface. I think the BN0000 was one of the last dials to have that as Citizen then moved to other solutions. One reason that the BN0000 might still use that sort of dial is that it is a rather small dial, it's smaller than my RMC which has a big chapter ring and isn't a big watch to start with.

#1,661 ·
You are welcome, and thanks. In bright sun, you can see the difference in the oranges I was mentioning when comparing the face to the chapter ring on the Seiko. Funny you mentioned the black prime as favorite, it's the watch I put on after returning all of them to my nightstand . . .

#1,662 ·
Well, I was making a joke there, the black Prime is the only one I own among all those watches...

Still on the BM-0560 thing... have you seriously looked at the Excalibur? Aside from the clasp issue, it's an amazingly well made watch, I have no hesitation in saying it looks a lot better than the Prime in the way it was made. It's also not a lot more than the BM-0560. I guess the clasp issue is more of an issue if you have around a 7 inch wrist or less but even so, it can be fixed easily like I did. I'm still not madly in love with it for some reason but I have no doubts when I say it looks impressive, probably the sharp lines and edges, looks like a US$1000 to someone who doesn't know about them.

#1,663 ·
Excalibur for Dad is in the works. Don't forget, I got the woman's version for the wife for our anniversary. It has a very classic look. The bracelet and the long clasp would work fine for me (I have a Aqualand Duplex that has the extender clasp.) I guess with purchasing the Excalibur for a couple of family members I've passed on it mentally for myself. As for the "180" 0560 . . . I like the sub homage in solar. Not sure I've seen another solar so directly sub-like.

#1,664 · (Edited)
Right! Sorry, Iget easily lost! So you know how good they are and look!

Nope, can't think of a better sub solar homage but there are several quartz alternatives and it's very cheap to change a battery and reseal a watch. Mind you that a 10 years batery watch is as a viable dive watch option as an ecodrive IMO.

Sory for the eventual spelling mistakes, full on Bushmills night off ;)

#1,668 · (Edited)
Hi Guys - Great thread - Its been really informative and inspirational for me.|>

You have been / are discussing and comparing all of the Citizen dive watches that I am really keen on and have considered buying over the years. Name check to Dan, Roadhog, Kutusov and of course Hiro - cheers

Im talking about;

*BN0000-04h aka eco dweller ?

*Eco Prime of course - Having followed this thread from the start and probably read the first 100 pages 2 or 3 times - I have just about managed not to buy one :-d

*Excalibur - heres mine
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

NY0040-09e which I now have

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Thats a real(ish) time photo folks!

And I like the Seiko solar too

From Kuusov - Still on the BM-0560 thing... have you seriously looked at the Excalibur? Aside from the clasp issue, it's an amazingly well made watch, I have no hesitation in saying it looks a lot better than the Prime in the way it was made. It's also not a lot more than the BM-0560. I guess the clasp issue is more of an issue if you have around a 7 inch wrist or less but even so, it can be fixed easily like I did. I'm still not madly in love with it for some reason but I have no doubts when I say it looks impressive, probably the sharp lines and edges, looks like a US$1000 to someone who doesn't know about them.

Hi Kutusov - I have been following your comments on the Excalibur - yeah it's a great watch - Im OK with the bracelet (7 1/4 inch wrist) but I find with a lot of wear that it does have a tendency to slip down my wrist and the crown at 3 O clock digs into the back of my hand. (Probably what clinched my recent purchase of the NY0040-09e with the crown at 8 oclock over the prime).

One more link out of the Excalibur and its too tight so I was interested in your clasp / buckle swap. Im thinking of doing the same but will probably stump up £41 for the more expensive option - with the divers extension.

It looks like I need a 18mm clasp - is that right? TIA

I was also thinking of putting it on an isofrane but not sure - I have been unable to source any pictures of this combination on the internet.

Also interested to hear that the Excalibur looks better made / more refined (in your opinion)? I think that's why I have not pulled the trigger on the prime ie I already have a Citizen solar diver in the Excalibur and I agree that it looks more refined (although apart from this great thread I have not been able to compare them side by side).

They are similar too in that the Excalibur also has a red minute hand and I would say the hands on the Excalibur are better IMO - more precise - the minute hand tickles the minute markers on the dial whereas the primes hands are typical Citizen in terms of being a bit short and stubby - and the minute markers are on the rehaut.

Still I really like how they have done the date on the prime - really like it…and I haven't got a blue watch…

In the end I bought the NY009 000e over the prime as it has similar aesthetics to the prime but being mechanical is different enough from what I already have to justify the purchase to myself - and they seem to be getting rarer - whereas the prime should be around for a while.b-)

So its just a question of time really!! :)

Reactions: hiro1963
#1,670 ·
Hi Guys - Great thread - Its been really informative and inspirational for me.|>

Hi Kutusov - I have been following your comments on the Excalibur - yeah it's a great watch - Im OK with the bracelet (7 1/4 inch wrist) but I find with a lot of wear that it does have a tendency to slip down my wrist and the crown at 3 O clock digs into the back of my hand. (Probably what clinched my recent purchase of the NY0040-09e with the crown at 8 oclock over the prime).

One more link out of the Excalibur and its too tight so I was interested in your clasp / buckle swap. Im thinking of doing the same but will probably stump up £41 for the more expensive option - with the divers extension.

It looks like I need a 18mm clasp - is that right? TIA

I was also thinking of putting it on an isofrane but not sure - I have been unable to source any pictures of this combination on the internet.

Also interested to hear that the Excalibur looks better made / more refined (in your opinion)? I think that's why I have not pulled the trigger on the prime ie I already have a Citizen solar diver in the Excalibur and I agree that it looks more refined (although apart from this great thread I have not been able to compare them side by side).

They are similar too in that the Excalibur also has a red minute hand and I would say the hands on the Excalibur are better IMO - more precise - the minute hand tickles the minute markers on the dial whereas the primes hands are typical Citizen in terms of being a bit short and stubby - and the minute markers are on the rehaut.

Still I really like how they have done the date on the prime - really like it…and I haven't got a blue watch…
Hi C!

Regarding the clasp, are you thinking on getting one of these?

Check the size first, I think they are excatly the same as the original one, so you'll end up with the same problem and less money. You would need an 18mm one, yes, but mind you you'll have no micro adjustment. If you go with a clasp that has such a thing, then you'll need to go 20mm.

You won't be able to put the Exclaibur on virtually any strap... it's so tight a space that you'll struggle to even put it on a Nato!! I tried one and had to remove the springbars, lay the Nato as flat as I could and force the bars in. Wasn't too happy with the result, kept thinking they might pop out because they were so tightly jammed in there.

As to the Excalibur vs the Prime, I think it's not a fair comparison. The Excalibur is more of a classy watch, the Prime is a tool diver. The lines are very different but the ones on the Excalibur also allow it to look shaper... that's why I think it's unfair to compare both here because the Prime doesn't have sharp lines, it's all very roundish.

Sorry if I missed any question, major hangover...

#1,674 ·
Missed out on the auction for the BM0560. Didn't get a bid in. Kinda bummed, because I wanted to check it out. Posted a WTB here on WUS- figured it can't hurt- worked when I was looking for my Infusion. My order for Dad's Excalibur is going in tonight. I'm also going to pick him up a strap for his AT0100.

#1,677 ·
I've lost tons of auctions on ebay when I was a lot more into this thing, especially when I was always hunting down soviet watches. The thing that might make you take some heart is that you don't know if you only lost it by 2 quid. Say that we both are bidding on the same watch and your last bid is 100 and I won it for 101. What you don't know is that I might have set my maximum bid to 300 quid and the way ebay works is that bidding is automatic when you set it that way. So in fact you didn't lost the watch to me for 1 pound... you lost for 200 pounds because that's the aumount I money I committed myself to spend on that watch.

#1,680 ·
Me too [emoji2]

#1,681 ·
:-d Amazing that 2 guys can keep a thread going 168 pages in 4 months regarding a $200.00 Citizen Eco Drive!!!!

How are you "Hiro" -- seen you around, but we haven't exchanged since the great Jake B "fifty-five fathoms" dial extravaganza. Well this Citizen got my attention, and I put it on the list. Funnily enough one popped up on the SF at a great price that I couldn't refuse. What a cool watch! At the same time another friend of mine picked up the black dial on bracelet. We both have come full circle, back to Seiko / Citizen. I also picked up my 3rd SKX 009 (sold & re-bought) and like it on the stock rubber, just like this Citizen b-)

Hiro - very cool you went for the blue Isofrane for this. The strap costs the same as the watch :-d It does look really great on that strap. I held off as long as I could, but actually just got my first Iso's. I got a 20mm black & a week later added a 22mm. I'm sold on the strap, but the price hurts.

And kudos to "Kutusov" - I've enjoyed following along with your WIS journey. We have in common the great love for the inky black dial of the Citizen NY004-xx! Absolutely awesome series of watch. I think I owned most of them, but really wanted the blue dial version. That's where this watch seems to be the likely successor of sorts.

Thank you both, & thank all the participants of this thread! Long live the Citizen BN0151-09L :-!

RD

Still working on capturing the blue hue ;-)

#1,684 ·
:-d Amazing that 2 guys can keep a thread going 168 pages in 4 months regarding a $200.00 Citizen Eco Drive!!!!

How are you "Hiro" -- seen you around, but we haven't exchanged since the great Jake B "fifty-five fathoms" dial extravaganza. Well this Citizen got my attention, and I put it on the list. Funnily enough one popped up on the SF at a great price that I couldn't refuse. What a cool watch! At the same time another friend of mine picked up the black dial on bracelet. We both have come full circle, back to Seiko / Citizen. I also picked up my 3rd SKX 009 (sold & re-bought) and like it on the stock rubber, just like this Citizen b-)
Hi RD! Yeah, it has been more two years(?) since we had a chat. I'm doing well. Thanks! Hope you are doing well too. :)

Nice grab BTW. Looking great! :-! Mine has been getting lots of wrist time. I quite like it. :)

Hiro - very cool you went for the blue Isofrane for this. The strap costs the same as the watch :-d It does look really great on that strap. I held off as long as I could, but actually just got my first Iso's. I got a 20mm black & a week later added a 22mm. I'm sold on the strap, but the price hurts.
Yeah, finally broke down and purchased it. :-d To tell you the truth, I'm sold too. :)

Reactions: Riddim Driven
#1,686 · (Edited)
Well, I'm quit impressed with DHL. I ordered this on Monday and amost 48 hours to the minute the courier (from UK to Kent WA) was knocking at my door, very cool!! The Royal commando BN0110-06E. I don't like the band at all with the metal eyelets, and the holes are spaced too far apart for my wrist. I'm sure I will follow and get a Hadley roma strap, the seem reasonably priced and look nice.

Attachments

#1,688 ·
Well, I quit impressed with DHL. I ordered this on Monday and amost 48 hours to the minute the courier (to Kent WA) was knocking at my door, very cool!! The Royal commando BN0110-06E. I don't like the band at all with the metal eyelets, and the holes are spaced too far apart for my wrist. I'm sure I will follow and get a Hadley roma strap, the seem reasonably priced and look nice.
Awesome! |>

#1,692 ·
Is this watch still in production? I've just recently bought a Seiko SKX009 but might have decided on this one had I known about it beforehand. I like the Seiko quite a lot but at some point I might want to purchase one of these. Just wondering if they are in short supply.

Thanks!
Yep, this year's new model.

Citizen authorized dealer

Citizen Mens Eco-Drive Promaster Diver - Blue Dial - Blue Rubber Strap - BN0151-09L

Slightly cheaper on eBay

New Citizen Eco Drive Promaster Professional Diver BN0151 09L 5060045477682 | eBay

It looks Joma Shop has the cheapest price, but ships in 2-3 weeks.