WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

New Citizen Promaster Professional Diver BN0151-09L some pics

1M views 4K replies 612 participants last post by  maliboo74 
#1 · (Edited)
Just came in today.

Citizen BN0151-09L

Case: It's about 42mm (top of the bezel)/44mm (bottom) due to its slant bezel.

Lug tip to lug tip: 49mm (inside the lug)/47mm (outside of the lug)

Lug width: 20mm

Case thickness: 12mm

Some Q&D pics

The dial color is almost the same as that of the blue Sumo or the Bond SMP. The polyurethane strap is just like the one which comes with the BN0000-04H, but it feels more pliable.

Bezel action is clicky and crisp with a little backplay (60-click).

The case is mostly brushed. I think it's very nicely done. The signed crown is a nice touch as well.

Caseback

Mostly brushed as well.

Lume shot

Blue except the green 12 o'clock lume pip.

I've tried a couple of different straps and bracelets so far as you guys might have noticed already.

1). Deep blue NATO

2). Navy x orange x white striped NATO

3). Olive NATO

4). Obris Morgan natural rubber strap

5). Shark mesh

I like all the options I've tried so far. My favorite is a shark mesh atm.

I think it's a good looking no-nonsense diver's watch. It feels solid and well-made.

See less See more
#1,791 ·
Yeah, that's the thing about the bracelet. I try to wear the bracelet one micro adjustment loosely when I can. How hot is it? Not too bad here though (74F/23C).

BTW, my 04H deserves new shoes, so I put it on a HR Cordura.

Reactions: Kutusov
#1,792 ·
Ah, a Cordura... just the way I wear mine and you can't find a better option!

As to how hot, it was much worst last week, it's was about the same as there: 24ºC. The thing was that the only empty table outside was not under a shade and wearing black trousers and t-shirt under the sun is a pretty bad idea.

It also shows how much my wrist size changes, that Citizen might be slightly lose in the mourning and strangling my wrist by lunch time.

#1,793 ·
Sorry for the late reply. I was watching Women's World Cup. :)

My wrist expands a lot as well. One time I wore my watch on the bracelet and went for a power walk (about 4 miles/6.4km). That was a bad idea as well. :-d

Reactions: dan55
#1,796 ·
Ah, you have to shop globally. If we're going to get screwed by some aspects of a global economy, might as well get something good out of it :-d

I wouldn't mind an Hirsh but not for the prices I see them selling. They cost almost as much as one of these watches we've been posting! Maybe worth it if you only own and wear one watch or for something more special like a Sinn, etc.

But I still say HR for cheap tool divers. Cheap, perfect size, comfy... pretty tough also but even if one gets worn out it's cheap and easy to replace.

And I've seen you wearing NATOs, they are a pretty good option if you like them. I personally can't stand the way they make a watch stand taller and the lump of folded nylon on the size but that's just my complicated self :) I've realized I can't stand the heavy hardware on Zulus also...

Speaking of which, C&B now has some nice perlon type Natos nylon keepers, might be worth checking out for smaller watches like the 04H or the RMC...

#1,798 · (Edited)
I have a couple although they are NOS with... don't know what to call it... double loop buckles. The material is actual perlon, so old style nylon that feels a bit strange, sort of rubbery. They can look good on certain watches but it's a very Vietnam era military sort of look. I bet it doesn't work on the Prime but could work on field watches and stuff like the 04H. They should also be pretty comfortable in stupidly hot and humid weather... just in case you head down to Florida or something ;-)

#1,799 · (Edited)
Yeah, they do look comfortable and breathable. Almost look like the tropic style straps. They just remind me of basketweave or bungee cords or something. :)

I may change my mind in the future though as the measure of intelligence is the ability to change. :-d

#1,812 ·
Oh yeah! Those Oris are beautiful!! I'm a sucker for cathedral hands and vintage looking pilot watches so I would have taken that over a Sinn any day!

It took me a while to get one of these as they seem to be available only on the US:

I would still like to get one of these but the prices are slightly ridiculous for what it is, another case of paying premium for a movement that has nothing special about it except it is now rare because it's not made anymore:

Oh, and for the quartz guys that are into this sort of thing, the Bulova Hack watch is well worth it:

#1,813 ·
Thanks Kutusov! We have similar taste, don't we? :) Your Hammy is a lovely piece as well. I also like the basic Khaki Field mechanical (manual wind model).

That Bulova caught my eye a while back. I had an original model (refinished) from WWII and that was a sweet model, but it was a bit too tiny for my liking. So, I gifted it to my friend.

Reactions: Kutusov
#1,821 · (Edited)
Really love this watch, I feel Citizen has hit a homerun with the design on this one. It's the first Citizen watch that I've ever been truly excited about, and it's climbing higher and higher on my list. I just wish Citizen offered a version with a mechanical movement as well. For instance, one with the 9015 would be fantastic... One can dream.

This must be a great seller for them, so I wouldn't be surprised if they expanded on it somehow. But seeing how Citizen seems to be going all in with the eco-drive technology, I'm not exactly holding my breath for a mechanical version. Eco-drive is pretty great anyway, and it sure has a great practical "grab and go" aspect to it. The only thing giving me pause about it is the question of longevity, and the potential for critical damage to the watch that can happen if the capacitor or solar cell has a leak (as seen in a recent thread posted on the forum here). I guess this is very rare, though.

Keep sharing those great pictures!

#1,823 ·
This must be a great seller for them, so I wouldn't be surprised if they expanded on it somehow. But seeing how Citizen seems to be going all in with the eco-drive technology, I'm not exactly holding my breath for a mechanical version. Eco-drive is pretty great anyway, and it sure has a great practical "grab and go" aspect to it. The only thing giving me pause about it is the question of longevity, and the potential for critical damage to the watch that can happen if the capacitor or solar cell has a leak (as seen in a recent thread posted on the forum here). I guess this is very rare, though.

Keep sharing those great pictures!
Don't get held back then! A leaking battery must be extremely rare and one of those things gone very wrong that can happen with anything. As to longevity, the cell itself goes forever and ever, even with constant charging and discharging. I don't remember the exact numbers now but it's something like a remaining 80% of power storage in the battery... after 40 freaking years! I have a bit of a hard time believing those Citizen's numbers but even so I think they'll easily surpass the 10 years battery Rondas and that's already a very good deal.

#1,825 ·
Ah, that's funny! I had never associated the big markers on the Prime with the traditional ones on the NY0040 and now that you post that there is a clear link. I've always though of them as sort of something related to the quartz Deep Blues and 100 other brands that sell those generic divers. Makes sense, even the bezel grip is like the NY0040 and that's an odd enough design to be a probable coincidence.

I know it's probably too early to tell but do you clearly favour one over the other?

#1,827 ·
Ah, that's funny! I had never associated the big markers on the Prime with the traditional ones on the NY0040 and now that you post that there is a clear link. I've always though of them as sort of something related to the quartz Deep Blues and 100 other brands that sell those generic divers. Makes sense, even the bezel grip is like the NY0040 and that's an odd enough design to be a probable coincidence.

I know it's probably too early to tell but do you clearly favour one over the other?
thanks Kutusov,
well at the moment i favor the ny, but that might be just because it's new :-D
i think it is slightly easier to wear due to it's smaller size and feels a bit lighter... but there isn't much in it.
ultimately for me I think the always ready prime will win out.. but only just :-D

#1,836 ·
BTW, I didn't know you wear NATOs, Kutusov!
I don't!! But that's proof that I've tried, I really did... The most I can do with 1p nylon straps is this sort:

interesting you mention the crown. i did find it the most difficult of all the watches i have.. and i want wearing it at the time either... maybe it has been slightly damaged before :-\
I remember it was a bit tricky, IIRC I used to press it down with my thumb and as soon as I felt the threads enganging, give it an half turn still with my thumb.