WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

New Citizen Promaster Professional Diver BN0151-09L some pics

1M views 4K replies 612 participants last post by  maliboo74 
#1 · (Edited)
Just came in today.

Citizen BN0151-09L

Case: It's about 42mm (top of the bezel)/44mm (bottom) due to its slant bezel.

Lug tip to lug tip: 49mm (inside the lug)/47mm (outside of the lug)

Lug width: 20mm

Case thickness: 12mm

Some Q&D pics

The dial color is almost the same as that of the blue Sumo or the Bond SMP. The polyurethane strap is just like the one which comes with the BN0000-04H, but it feels more pliable.

Bezel action is clicky and crisp with a little backplay (60-click).

The case is mostly brushed. I think it's very nicely done. The signed crown is a nice touch as well.

Caseback

Mostly brushed as well.

Lume shot

Blue except the green 12 o'clock lume pip.

I've tried a couple of different straps and bracelets so far as you guys might have noticed already.

1). Deep blue NATO

2). Navy x orange x white striped NATO

3). Olive NATO

4). Obris Morgan natural rubber strap

5). Shark mesh

I like all the options I've tried so far. My favorite is a shark mesh atm.

I think it's a good looking no-nonsense diver's watch. It feels solid and well-made.

See less See more
#3,646 ·
Dear citizen enthusiasts,
I just received my Citizen BN0150-28E Promaster diver and it is a great watch! Thanks for all the reviews and pics!
Upon setting the time, I noticed that the crown has some play when turning the minute hand: if I turn clockwise and then counter-clockwise (or vice versa), there is a short distance where the minute hand doesn't move.
Since none of my other quartz watches did this, I was wondering if this is normal for the citizen promaster?
Thanks

#3,656 ·
The BN0150 in the middle is flanked by an NY0040 on the left and a Victorinox Dive Master 500 on the right (obviously).
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

The NY0040 is an automatic and has had a fabled history in the diver's community for many years. The dial is a favorite aspect for me. Citizen somehow managed to make a dial so black that it literally disappears, creating the illusion that the indices appear to be floating. If I had one wish for the BN0150 it would be to have its dial the same black as its automatic cousin. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the subtle differences that both of these entry-level Citizens bring to the game. Truth be told, I love all three of these watches. Mechanical ~ Solar ~ Battery powered. Game, set, match! That just about covers all of the bases.

#3,657 ·
The BN0150 in the middle is flanked by an NY0040 on the left and a Victorinox Dive Master 500 on the right (obviously).
View attachment 14817383
The NY0040 is an automatic and has had a fabled history in the diver's community for many years. The dial is a favorite aspect for me. Citizen somehow managed to make a dial so black that it literally disappears, creating the illusion that the indices appear to be floating. If I had one wish for the BN0150 it would be to have its dial the same black as its automatic cousin. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the subtle differences that both of these entry-level Citizens bring to the game. Truth be told, I love all three of these watches. Mechanical ~ Solar ~ Battery powered. Game, set, match! That just about covers all of the bases.
The NY0040 has a painted dial being a mechanical watch. The BN015X series is Eco-Drive. As a result the dial has to be somewhat translucent to get light to the solar cells. So you're not likely to see a very deep black on a solar quartz watch.

#3,659 ·
#3,666 · (Edited)
Hello All: I bought this watch at an Amazon lightning deal-valentine etc., for $70, and it looks exactly like the pics here, box and all. But am perplexed. It was listed as $90. I've never seen a real Citizen watch this cheap, nor new Citizen's heavily discounted like this.

It says it uses the E168 movement which is in a lot of prior ISO level basic dive watches since 2000, all that changes is the style. I have 1 such watch and several among our group, and they keep very good time and have been reliable for over 20 years. The watches themselves take a great deal of diving abuse to 100m, which is our intent. I'm getting this as a backup or main beater as my current one is getting old, but giving fine service.

However, engraved on the caseback of all those other Citizen dive watches is "MADE IN JAPAN" or "JAPAN" but this BN0151-09L itself just says JAPAN MOV'T on the case back as well as tiny letters on the front watch face.

There is a small card tied to the watch, in the original photos below it says MADE IN JAPAN, now it says nothing about were its made. So my question to the group is is this watch made elsewhere, such as China, and all that is really "Citizen Japan" is the movement? It would explain the price level. Note, my intent is not as a fashion watch, but as a work horse dive watch, so it really has to live up to its ISO specification level. I've zero issues with Japanese dive watches since the 1990s, so don't want to change my luck now, and overall, its what I thought I paid for, don't care about were the strap is made. Thanks a ton in advance!

Just came in today. Citizen BN0151-09L The case is mostly brushed. I think it's very nicely done. The signed crown is a nice touch as well. Caseback Mostly brushed as well.

#3,668 ·
No idea where the BN015X series of watches are made? Movement is likely in Japan and they could be made in China for all I know.

They are the same excellent Citizen Promaster Divers that they have been pumping out for 30 years. Many people have used this watch for diving with no issues. I don’t dive myself, so can’t personally vouch for it, but mine is coming up on 5 years old this December and is still going strong.

#3,670 ·
Just wondering. Has anyone had to back thread the crown to screw it in? I got into the habit of it with my other Seiko Divers, but I didn’t notice it on these ones. Although the threads on the Bn0151-09L seem smaller than the NY0040 ones.

I would appreciate what peoples own experience and recommendations are.

I’ve had one watch, the Hamilton Khaki Navy which the crown eventually threaded on me and the cost with servicing was almost the price of the watch so it was not worth it for me.

#3,671 ·
Just wondering. Has anyone had to back thread the crown to screw it in? I got into the habit of it with my other Seiko Divers, but I didn't notice it on these ones. Although the threads on the Bn0151-09L seem smaller than the NY0040 ones.

I would appreciate what peoples own experience and recommendations are.

I've had one watch, the Hamilton Khaki Navy which the crown eventually threaded on me and the cost with servicing was almost the price of the watch so it was not worth it for me.
I do it. It makes it easier to start the crown. I just apply a little pressure and turn the crown CCW until i hear the click.

Reactions: Jarvar
#3,674 ·
I always back thread the crowns on my watches before screwing down. Just to be sure.

This reminds me of a question I wanted to ask here;

Has anyone else had an issue with the spring tension being week on the stem? I had it sent in awhile back because it would not seat properly and now when I finish setting the time and push the crown in to finish, it barely clicks. Same when I unscrew, it doesn't pop after the threads into the neutral position.

Sorry if this is too complicated but TL;DR Does anyone else have a weak spring?