New guy, first post, thanks to forum and how I fixed my SNK809 - Page 2
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: New guy, first post, thanks to forum and how I fixed my SNK809

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: New guy, first post, thanks to forum and how I fixed my SNK809

Lol! It's random info I picked up while learning how to care for and restore them. Shaving was getting too expensive, a daily requirement in the Marines and a daily requirement by my ex wife. I found a paper sack full of old rusty razors in a "junktique" store for $5 and decided to give it a shot. Did some research, managed to fully restore several and mount new slabs on them. The first time I held one to my throat, I was nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. After that I was hooked.

But one day it dawned on me. Holy crap, I'm ugly. The only chin I have these days is a double chin. So I grew a beard.
    Prdrers likes this.

Well, it kept time well enough to suit me for a couple days, it stayed within -2 to -5 seconds per day. Woke up Saturday feeling like death, had some of SteelHorseCowgirl's miracle brew (Master Barista), realized I was running late for my rendezvous at the boat ramp with my fishing buddy, so I rushed out the door. Then while I was WAITING at the boat ramp, I dug my phone out of the glove box to text him, and discovered my watch had jumped forward 45 minutes. Took a closer look at it, and sure enough, the second hand looked like it'd spent all night smoking crystal meth.
    I took it off and tossed it in the glove box, then went back into town for a decent breakfast.
    Passed a clock shop that looked like it might be open, stopped and talked to an old fella for a minute, he agreed to take a peek and degauss it with his purpose built device which is surely more effective than a TV screen. So I left it with him.

Didn't catch a single freaking fish. Didn't even get a bite. Was aggravated as hell, fishing partner wasn't catching anything either, so we left early and parted ways after we loaded the boat back on the trailer.

I stopped to pick up my watch. Fella said there didn't seem to be anything wrong with it, but that it definitely was magnetized. He straightened that out, adjusted it, told me it should be good to within 1+/- per day. GREAT!

Yesterday, all was well. Checked it several times out of paranoia I guess. Perfect, all day long.
    This morning? 15 minutes ahead.

I'm done. I'm not going through this crap every few days to keep a watch accurate. I'm giving up again. I've spent enough time killing watches and draining cell phone batteries that I can live with it. I'll just give this one away to a family member or something.

Interesting on the battery killing as I have a "light" (compared to your experiences) version of the same thing. I'll kill a new casio in a week. Don't have a problem with cell phones or these Seiko automatics though. I wonder, does metal rust quickly if you touch/use it? I have to be diligent with oiling as my skin oils will rust metal overnight. I always figured that body chemistry thing was part of the battery killing mystery.
    Have a good one.
    Ron Jr. Scrimshaw & Engraving

Well, yes, metal rusts quickly after I touch it. I live in Louisiana. Hot and humid, salty food, salty sweat... I never once wondered if metal rusts more quickly after I've touched it, compared to after someone else has touched it. It's never occurred to me to even consider the idea.
    Within an hour or less after coming into contact with carbon steel, I can see what looks like dust gathering. Within a few hours, definitely light surface rust. I assumed this was normal.
    I go through lots of oil. I'm a hobby "smith" (I'm getting the impression we're not even allowed to use the word to describe what type of smith...) and yeah, I go through some oil. I use makeup brushes to apply oil to the exterior surfaces of things.

You may be on to something. Sodium Chloride, nitrates and nitrides, ammonia, and several other compounds that oxidize metal are found in sweat are also efficient electrolytes.

Folks can keep arguing over it. I'll just keep sucking batteries dry like a freaking vampire.
    Last edited by SteelHorseCowboy; 3 Days Ago at 20:19.

My Dad has an old Jules Jurgensen hand cranker with the same issue. Beautiful watch, but keeps getting magnetized. I demagnetized it a few times, until he just got tired of dealing with it and put it away for good. Just buy you a good Casio or Timex and order a stock of batteries for cheap off eBay.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    Encourage someone. The world has enough critics.

"I think he's referring to the design style that's typically called a 'field watch', not necessarily the best watch to take into the field. But yeah, G-Shock ftw." - WUS User 'GuySie'

Welcome to the forums! let that watch serve his purpose well Good day!
    Reference for Swiss Watches: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by SteelHorseCowboy View Post
    Well, yes, metal rusts quickly after I touch it. I live in Louisiana. Hot and humid, salty food, salty sweat... I never once wondered if metal rusts more quickly after I've touched it, compared to after someone else has touched it. It's never occurred to me to even consider the idea.
    Within an hour or less after coming into contact with carbon steel, I can see what looks like dust gathering. Within a few hours, definitely light surface rust. I assumed this was normal.
    I go through lots of oil. I'm a hobby "smith" (I'm getting the impression we're not even allowed to use the word to describe what type of smith...) and yeah, I go through some oil. I use makeup brushes to apply oil to the exterior surfaces of things.

You may be on to something. Sodium Chloride, nitrates and nitrides, ammonia, and several other compounds that oxidize metal are found in sweat are also efficient electrolytes.

Folks can keep arguing over it. I'll just keep sucking batteries dry like a freaking vampire.
    I'm also a big time tinkerer/smith and oil is a staple in my shop, never thought of using makeup brushes, thanks for the tip. I first learned about the rust thing with me as a kid with firearms. A blued barrel/action will rust overnight if I don't oil it, definitely not normal. And FYI steel rusting within a couple hours is also definitely not normal;) I once had a stainless steel barrel on a custom 22 start to rust!

You mention salt, I think that is part of the equation also. I LOVE salt, people are always asking me "how can you eat that???" after they see me salt something. My reply is always the same, it tastes right for me. My sodium levels are always right in the middle of normal when I get it checked too.

At any rate know that there is at least one person out there that knows what you are saying/describing certainly is possible/happening ;)
    Have a good one.
    Ron Jr. Scrimshaw & Engraving

You guys got those toxic fingers. As a musician, I've encountered many like you. You let someone play your guitar, and Bam!, the strings are rusty and dead the next day, lol.

To the OP, you need this:
    https://www.amazon.com/G-SHOCK-GULFM.../dp/B003OICZO4

Solar/Atomic (no batteries), and it's Titanium (no rust). Win-Win
    Encourage someone. The world has enough critics.

"I think he's referring to the design style that's typically called a 'field watch', not necessarily the best watch to take into the field. But yeah, G-Shock ftw." - WUS User 'GuySie'

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information