New guy, first post, thanks to forum and how I fixed my SNK809
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: New guy, first post, thanks to forum and how I fixed my SNK809

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New guy, first post, thanks to forum and how I fixed my SNK809

Long story, buckle up.

I've seen a lot of debate over whether or not the phenomenon is real, of batteries going dead rapidly when in contact with certain people.
    Can't really debate it with me, I'm one of those people. The batteries in my key fob last about 3-4 months. Watch batteries last about a week. I don't keep my cell phone in my pocket.

Checking the time by cell phone gets old. Particularly when you usually have to go find it. More annoying when you ask others and hear that same old line all the time. What time is it? "Time to get a watch!"
    Well I would. If it'd last, or I could afford a mechanical.

Enter the Seiko 5.
    I got tired of it. Had some spare cash and a weak moment at the same time and said to myself, "I'm buying a friggin Rolex!". Then I stopped myself and thought about it.
    What do I really need and want in a watch?
    I'm not a diver.
    I'm not a pilot.
    I don't travel the world anymore, don't need multiple time zones.
    I'm not a competitive sort, no need for chronographs.
    I need to be able to tell the time of day. That's it.
    While I'd love to have a multi thousand dollar work of art on my wrist, I'm also a blue collar worker. I'm exposed to chlorine gas every day, I have to reach my hands into tight spaces in an industrial setting, many other aspects of my daily life that'd prohibit a nice luxury watch.
    Also, no offense to the folks on the opposite end of the spectrum, I think the gigantic time pieces that cover the entire wrist and snag on pockets and jacket sleeves are downright silly looking. FLAVA FLAV!

So I needed small, mechanical, basic, cheap enough I won't cry if I break it, and maybe not pretty, but not ugly either.

This is where I thank this forum for the first time. Took just a few minutes of googling and I found the Seiko 5. A few more minutes searching for reviews and I found this forum. That was about a year ago. After reading the reviews I decided this was about the best I was going to find that suits my needs just absolutely perfectly. One of the biggest selling points for me was, the crown being tiny and near the 4 o'clock position. With all the flexing my wrists do, I don't need a big crown digging into the back of my hand. I can do pushups with this watch on, and often do, and not even notice it's there.

I ordered one. Only complaint was, the seller on eBay took the pics in crappy lighting, so I was surprised and disappointed when my black watch turned out to be OD green. Oh well. The color's grown on me now.

I knew it wasn't the most accurate time piece from the beginning after reading reviews. In the first few days, it'd gain or lose two-three minutes. I'd also read this apparently sometimes happens when they're new, so I gave it about a week then set it to the NIST clock. After that, I was gaining about 3 minutes per week. Perfectly acceptable for MY needs, although I know many people are far more particular.

That went on for a few months. Then it started going fast as hell. When I started gaining 5-10 minutes per day, I took it off and let it wind down and quit. Started going fast again as soon as I'd put it back on.
    Last week it was going so fast I was wondering how it wasn't being damaged, or if it was being damaged and I just couldn't tell it. 25-40 minutes per DAY. Didn't even need to compare it to another clock to see the second hand racing ahead. My step daughter said, "Dad, I think your watch is on crack."

Here's where I thank the forum a second time. This forum is where I learned how to adjust it.
    But those of you more familiar with mechanical watches probably wouldn't be too surprised to hear that even when I tuned it down as slow as I could, it was still running fast as hell. What's more, the way it was positioned had a DRASTIC effect on the speed. Downloaded the clock tuner app I'd read about on this forum, and tested it in every position I could think of. It was detecting BPH from 20K up to 45K.

So what's wrong? More googling. Hmm. Magnetized? Don't have a compass to check it against...
    Looked up home remedies. Found a story about using the degaussing feature on old tube TVs. Also mentioned was, many of the later models don't have that feature but that they do a sort of "auto" degauss when you turn them on. "Probably not enough to demagnetize a watch though". Well, I needed to try anyway.
    Figuring a larger TV will need a larger effect, I held my watch to the screen of a 27" CRT TV in the shop and turned it on. I watched the second hand slow noticeably. So I did it about 15 more times just to be sure. Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. By that point it was crawling.

I adjusted my watch accordingly (Barney simple). Tested it at different positions and found little to no variation in the rate. Set it to NIST. This final step of resetting the watch and putting it back on my arm happened about 24 hours ago. And my watch is running approximately 5 seconds behind. Some folks would scoff at that. I've seen a review somewhere, in which a man said his watch running 2 seconds fast per 24 hours made him want to puke. He declared it "completely unusable". Crybaby. Two seconds ain't gonna cause you to miss lunch. Just my opinion, if your schedule's so tight that two seconds makes that much of a difference in your daily life, you need to come spend a day with me and the fam on the bayou, drinking some beers and drowning some worms.

In closing, thanks to the forum for leading me to, and helping me "fix" an awesome watch!
    It goes through hell, and not a scratch. Only extra precaution I take is, I don't submerge it in water. Not even because I don't think it could handle it, but just because I don't want the wet band around my wrist for however long it'll take to dry out. What's the point in taking it off to let it dry, when I can take it off to avoid getting it wet to begin with?

That's a far sight better than 30 minutes fast.
    Last edited by 2500M_Sub; March 15th, 2017 at 22:59.

Re: New guy, first post, thanks to forum and how I fixed my SNK809

Welcome to the forums! Enjoy your 5!
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM '801 EE Motor Barrel'

Great story! If it is ever 5 seconds behind NIST, you can give it a temporary BPH boost by giving it some quick, steady (not too violent) clockwise rotations for 5-10 seconds and then wait a few minutes to see if it caught up.
    Diggs84 and SteelHorseCowboy like this.

Glad that you found you soulmate. Welcome aboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. James Duffy View Post
    Great story! If it is ever 5 seconds behind NIST, you can give it a temporary BPH boost by giving it some quick, steady (not too violent) clockwise rotations for 5-10 seconds and then wait a few minutes to see if it caught up.
    Thanks for that tip!

I said not a scratch. But I caught the glare of the sun just right and noticed there are a few. Teeny tiny, can't even get my camera to pick them up.

Because of a hobby of mine, I already keep Flitz blue paste and small bits of leather on hand. Quick google search brought me back to this forum, yet again, and it sounds like Flitz and leather remove scratches pretty well. Does this still hold true or no?

Still exactly 5 seconds behind. I can't discern a rate by watching the clock and watch side by side, but Clock Tuner says I should have -1s per day.

Now that I've learned how to adjust it and degauss it with some field expedient redneck ingenuity, I'm kinda considering getting another one...
    Definitely black. Polish the case, and mount a matte black metal bracelet.

My favorite thing about this model, in addition to the size, offset crown, and price, is the face!
    I think the face is perfect, with it's two rings of numbers, hour hand falling on the inner ring, minute and second hands falling on the outer ring. Love the shape of the hands too.
    Only thing I'd change, instead of the lume material being on the butt of the second hand, I would prefer a second hand with a lumed sword shape where the red tip is.

I'm'a get another one, soon as I can. Probably be a while, because I now have a working watch but I also need some motorcycle parts so I can finish rebuilding my bike and get it out of the dining room.
    Mr. James Duffy likes this.

Welcome and thanks for sharing. I've had the black one (809) for a couple of years, and it's a great watch. I don't wear as often as I used to, since becoming addicted to G-Shocks, but I still pull it out every now and then. The more time you spend around here, the more you'll find yourself wanting this and that. Then you'll be the rest of us...never content, and always searching for the next "perfect" watch. Enjoy your SNK and take care!
    Encourage someone. The world has enough critics.

"I think he's referring to the design style that's typically called a 'field watch', not necessarily the best watch to take into the field. But yeah, G-Shock ftw." - WUS User 'GuySie'

Oh man I know how that is. I can list several "nexts" right off the top in different categories. I'm generally more of an upgrader though, not so much a collector. I'll buy something better than I have already, then give the old to someone less fortunate.
    I could definitely see myself collecting watches though, so I'll need to exercise some restraint. I'm always on a budget, and I also need to get some more motorcycle parts so I can finish rebuilding my bike and get it out of the dining room. It's been there for a year and a half, ever since I wrecked it. Spent three months recovering physically, then another year recovering financially. I'm about to the point that I can nickel and dime it back to road worthiness.

One thing I did start collecting was straight razors. But I stopped shaving because I realized I have no chin! I'll be giving about $1,000 worth of razors and equipment to my stepson for his birthday.
    There's a good reason for collecting those though. If you only have one, and shave with it daily, you'll NEVER get a comfortable shave. They need 2-3 days to rest between shaves, believe it or not. Shaving leaves microscopic knicks in the edge, no matter how well you strop it before and after you use it. But quality razor steel will flow and reform on the microscopic level if you let it rest. Then strop it well again to polish it up before and after the next shave. So you need at least 2-3 razors to shave daily, and each one has their own personality. It's fun getting to know them.

When Sweeney Todd, "The Demon Barber of Fleet Street", refers to his razors as his "friends", there's some practicality in it.
    Last edited by SteelHorseCowboy; March 16th, 2017 at 18:52.

That's actually pretty interesting... Never knew that 👍 I'll spend the rest of my life waiting for the opportunity to tell someone that lol. Kind of like the "slow clap" guy...

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    Diggs84 likes this.
    Encourage someone. The world has enough critics.

"I think he's referring to the design style that's typically called a 'field watch', not necessarily the best watch to take into the field. But yeah, G-Shock ftw." - WUS User 'GuySie'

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information